Five Myths About The T-Mobile/AT&T Takeover

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Jul 16, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

Fiction: Your service will increase or be faster due to the AT&T and T-Mobile merger.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Everyone already knows the truth. The only people who believed those myths are free-market capitalists and idiots.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Is there a difference? :D

4. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Initially I supported this merger since iPhone would be available to t mobile users but with Apple reportedly negotiating with t mobile and sprint, I hope that this merger will be killed before its gains any momentum.

5. kleinias macrumors regular

I so love that you made that comment while living in Dallas (Texas), along with your Macbook Pro, iPad, and iPhone. I'm not being critical here, I really think it's fantastic.

6. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think T-Mobile (and Sprint) would have a chance if they got the iPhone.

Down with the merger! lol

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am really hoping the FTC says no to the AT&T T-Mobile merger.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

9. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

It's going to put an end to sprint I this happens

10. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Why?

11. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

It depends how you look at it.
    If the prices go up because of this merger and Sprint decides to keep things as it is, they might gain customers. Their network could use some improvement though, but I guess it's hard to do that when you are losing money.

12. ShivneelSingh macrumors member

Merger Needs to Happen!

I can't wait for the merger to complete, I live in Southern California and the reception here isn't great. It's not BAD but it's not great either. The data speeds are around 5MBPS (AT&T), which is really good but if the merger happens, hopefully by then AT&T will release faster 4G speeds. I know it won't be useful until an iPhone with 4G comes out, but it would be nice to know there is 4G speeds where I live. T-Mobile has 4G speeds in my city but it's not as fast as I thought it would be. I drove to a store 5 miles from my house and tested it out, it's pretty much the same speed as AT&T's 3G.
    I just want everyone to be able to buy an iPhone. That means more people to FaceTime, iMessage, and play multiplayers games with.
    But mostly, I'm just tired of my calls being dropped. I don't want to switch to Verizon (like my mom, dad, brother, his girlfriend, my girlfriend...) because I actually DO surf the web while talking on the phone and love the 3G speeds. My AT&T iPhone is 5 times faster than the Verizon iPhones my family has.
    The merger NEEDS to happen.

13. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yo, you clearly didn't read the OP, did you?
    It sounds like you need to find a new carrier. It's unfortunate, but I don't think you can win both ways.

14. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Wow
    You must be really smart, to believe something so stupid.

15. macinnv macrumors regular

The only reason the iPhone exists is because of free market capitalism.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

And the Congressmen/FCC members who are being bribed by AT&T. Money buys lots of things in Washington.

The merger is pretty much a done deal. Huge job losses will follow.

17. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'm sure the merger will pass. I doubt AT&T would be running the ads they've been running if they haven't been tipped off that they'll get the go ahead.

18. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

FACT: T-Mobile lost 471,000 subscribers on contract-based plans during the first 3 months of this year.

Look this isn't rocket science. T-moble was bleeding customers left and right and couldn't afford a 4G LTE block. In business if you aren't moving ahead than your falling behind. With no upgrade path T-Mobile would be done by the end of the decade.

The only people this merger hurts is low cost T-Mobile subscribers and ironically it's those people which were the reason T-Mobile failed. You can't expect the best cell phones, fast service, great coverage and low price all at once.

19. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

This appears to be a catch 22.
    T-Mobile can't continue by itself and AT&T is going to make a mess of it too.

It would be cool if a new carrier bought T-Mobile and entered the game, such as Orange or O2, and gave everything a brand new lift. It wouldn't make sense for a company like Orange to buy it though.

20. Vegastouch, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You mean the buyout? It isnt a merger. I hope it dont happen.

You dont think the announcement of a buyout had anything to do with it?

T-Mobile can afford the move forward with their 4G. Thats an ignorant statement. T-Mobile already had, and still has as they continue to move forward, a faster network that AT&T had and is one of the reasons AT&T wants to buy them out.
    And for your information...all T-Mobile customers pay lass than what they would with AT&T so your whole post is a FAIL!

21. flipster macrumors 6502a

AT&T is lazy, decided to take the easy way out instead of building their own network and buy T-Mobile's. More network, more subscribers, more money. More competition.

FACT: BUSINESS

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

That would be no different than the situation that exists right. A European company Deutsche Telekom owning T-Mobile. The issue has to do with how much money needs to be invested in T-Mobile for it to be competitive with AT&T or Verizon. It's not financially feasible which is why DT is trying sell TM. They'll save millions if not billions of investments and take a large portion of share in AT&T.

23. wordoflife, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah I know, that's why I said the last sentence of what you quoted.
    Oh well, good luck to T-Mobile.

AT&T is lazy?

I'm sorry to say this, but I think you are highly misinformed.
    It's almost win-win for AT&T since they don't need to build new towers and they get a ton of new customers. Think about all the time it takes to request permits and finally build towers in different locations. Its much easier to buy T-Mobile and use those towers, instead of creating new ones. In addition to that, they are getting a bunch of customers.

Instead of AT&T expanding by 2014, they'll be done a few years earlier. It's certainly not about AT&T being lazy; it's about expanding and upgrading the network sooner.

In fact, buying T-Mobile might be cheaper, if not the same price as, building new towers. Even if it isn't, I'm sure the extra money is worth rolling out the newer network sooner and gaining all those customers.

24. flipster macrumors 6502a

You just further proved my point.