Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
To some this is a place to rave about Apple products I guess. I LOVE Apple products and had one bad home button on my iPhone 4 after a while and it was fine. Other than that no problems with iPhones but the number of phones with a problem here is not normal.

I totally agree. I see this crap everyday on here. It is never Apple's fault it has to be the user causing the problem. I say a post about a guy who downloaded iOS 7 to his phone, and decided it was too buggy so he went back to iOS 6. Some how iTunes did not backup is phone correctly before he upgraded to iOS 7. He was mad because he had to go back to a year old backup. Everyone jumped on him saying "it is not Apple's fault you downloaded a beta version of iOS". Downloading iOS 7 had nothing to do with the backups. No matter what it is the user fault.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I totally agree. I see this crap everyday on here. It is never Apple's fault it has to be the user causing the problem. I say a post about a guy who downloaded iOS 7 to his phone, and decided it was too buggy so he went back to iOS 6. Some how iTunes did not backup is phone correctly before he upgraded to iOS 7. He was mad because he had to go back to a year old backup. Everyone jumped on him saying "it is not Apple's fault you downloaded a beta version of iOS". Downloading iOS 7 had nothing to do with the backups. No matter what it is the user fault.

That's funny. I understand that people are attached with the brand. I am kinda attached too, I admit. However, this last incident gave a bad taste in my mouth. One or two phone problem is acceptable but five???

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
That's funny. I understand that people are attached with the brand. I am kinda attached too, I admit. However, this last incident gave a bad taste in my mouth. One or two phone problem is acceptable but five???

Agreed. I like Apple a lot too, and I have not had issues with my 5. I just realize no company is perfect, and they make mistakes.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
From a business perspective my employer supplies 15-20 phones. And we've had occasional issues with the 4 and 4S's but now that the 5's are being passed around its seems like there is always someone with a bad power button or lousy battery.

Thankfully we have some pull and can get the issues taken care of pretty quickly via Verizon since its a company account.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sure he could be he would be without a phone for a while. If he is on business this is not an option. Just go get is replaced only really applies when you are in the Country.

Last time I checked this was a forum for people to voice their opinions on Apple products. Which is what he did. You whining about him whining is just stupid. He has a good reason to complain. Yes he could take the phone and get it replaced, but he thinks there is a real issues with quality. Like I said before he is not the only one complaining about this, so maybe people should start taking notice to the quality.

It really is crazy on blinded Apple fans are by Apple.
Read my posts, not in this thread but in others. I am clearly not incapable of seeing Apple's faults. I am neither a fan boy (or a boy) or an apologist. I am looking at things from a warranty standpoint. Contractually speaking, because that's what I know, get your **** fixed and use the warranty your phone came with. Whether it be LG, Motorola, Apple, etc.

If you can't carry on a discussion without concluding that someone who believes a person should use their warranty to their advantage is nothing more than a fan boy, then you aren't a person that needs to read or respond to what I write. ;)

I'll bow out because clearly a person who buys a product and expects a company to uphold their end of a warranty is nothing more than a "fan boy."

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Read my posts, not in this thread but in others. I am clearly not incapable of seeing Apple's faults. I am neither a fan boy (or a boy) or an apologist. I am looking at things from a warranty standpoint. Contractually speaking, because that's what I know, get your **** fixed and use the warranty your phone came with. Whether it be LG, Motorola, Apple, etc.

If you can't carry on a discussion without concluding that someone who believes a person should use their warranty to their advantage is nothing more than a fan boy, then you aren't a person that needs to read or respond to what I write. ;)

I'll bow out because clearly a person who buys a product and expects a company to uphold their end of a warranty is nothing more than a "fan boy."

No that is not at all what I said. You are just putting words in my mouth. I am saying he is in another country, and if you look about 5 posts up. He said Apple will not ship him a replacement in the other country. So you saying he is just whining is a lack of reading or understand what the OP wrote. I do understand you should take your phone in for repairs or replacement if needed, but when you don't have that option what are you suppose to do. The OP does not seem to be whining to me. He is just stating his experiences. He said if things were not fixed by the iPhone he may move on. How is that whining?

It's funny that every single fix or suggestion that you have giving has already been address by the OP before you post. I am only repeating to you what he has already said. Just read all of the OP's post, and things might be a little different.

Last edited:

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Apple may have faulty products but the after sales service is No.1

Lets hear how many people can walk out of a store replacing a samsung after booking an appointment the same day.......

Wait are there stores that you can book appointments for replacing the phone ( HTC or Samsung )

Trust me Apple can and will have faulty phones but they swap them NO Questions Asked....if they are under the warranty terms.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Apple may have faulty products but the after sales service is No.1

Lets hear how many people can walk out of a store replacing a samsung after booking an appointment the same day.......

Wait are there stores that you can book appointments for replacing the phone ( HTC or Samsung )

Trust me Apple can and will have faulty phones but they swap them NO Questions Asked....if they are under the warranty terms.

I totally agree. However, no help in my case.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
"it is not Apple's fault you downloaded a beta version of iOS". Downloading iOS 7 had nothing to do with the backups. No matter what it is the user fault.

Downloading iOS 7 has EVERYTHING to do with the backups.

Backups have NEVER been backwards compatible between major iOS releases. It's your responsibility to back your phone up and save that backup before you update to a new major release.

It's also common sense. You're going to be running a BETA!!! Even if the backups WERE backwards compatible, the beta could easily stomp all over your data, and you'd definitely want a backup you can restore to if that happened.

This stuff is common sense to anyone who has any business installing iOS 7.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010

Backups have NEVER been backwards compatible between major iOS releases. It's your responsibility to back your phone up and save that backup before you update to a new major release.

It's also common sense. You're going to be running a BETA!!! Even if the backups WERE backwards compatible, the beta could easily stomp all over your data, and you'd definitely want a backup you can restore to if that happened.

Are you guys doing this on purpose? Did you read what he said?

"Some how iTunes did not backup is phone correctly before he upgraded to iOS 7."

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
You must have crappy luck. 4 people in my family have iPhone 5s, and nobody has any issues with theirs. Did you go to the party asking everyone about their iPhones or something >_> Seems weird. You'd think those people would get their phones replaced. I doubt they all have voided warranties. It's probably way easier to get your iPhone replaced if it's got issues compared to any other popular phone out there.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
You must have crappy luck. 4 people in my family have iPhone 5s, and nobody has any issues with theirs. Did you go to the party asking everyone about their iPhones or something >_> Seems weird. You'd think those people would get their phones replaced. I doubt they all have voided warranties. It's probably way easier to get your iPhone replaced if it's got issues compared to any other popular phone out there.

My brother got his new HTC so, we are all talking and everybody was talking about it at the table, what is weird about that? Also like I said Apple does not bring them, different distributors import them so the service is not even close to Apple's. They do not replace them. They want to repair them and they can take up to 30 days since that is the legal period of time for them to repair.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I know tons of iPhone users and have not once heard of this issue. Given that the buttons are moving parts, it can be assumed that when abused/used a lot they could fail. Dumb question, why not take the damaged phone in to be repaired rather than make due with a broken phone.

How do you really abuse a power button? They should be designed to withstand years of wear and tear, regardless of whether some people upgrade annually. Otherwise it's just a poorly designed part.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Before you go running your mouth look at what I said. He backup before he download iOS 7. Not while he was using iOS 7. Talking to me like I am an idiot when you are the one that did not read the post correctly makes you look like an idiot. Everyone knows that if you download a beta OS and then backup your phone everything is gone, but backing up before you update should cause no problems. Thanks for trying, and derailing the thread. I was only using that as an example. It has nothing to do with power buttons on the iPhone 5 not working.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
thats a bit crazy....having handled 50+ iPhones over the years, I only seen power button failure on a OLD iPhone 4 [3+ years old] and that was it, all other's never had issues.

The 50+ included models from 4-5S [no 3G/3GS etc].

Only issue i have seen ever was the screen tinting of yellowish/blueish shading that is mostly visible on the iPhones when they are first launched....maybe you don't know how to use the power button? or think its broken because it makes slight clicking sound when the phone is shaken? my 5S and 5 did that but never once did i have issue using the button tho....

----------

Are you guys doing this on purpose? Did you read what he said?

"Some how iTunes did not backup is phone correctly before he upgraded to iOS 7."

If you click "Backup now" button correctly in iTunes then it will back up correctly...I think its impossible to backup incorrectly unless you miss to click that button....once that button is clicked you can see the progress at the top....do make sure the iPhone is connected via the USB cable to make sure the backup to the computer completes....doing it over WiFi can be unreliable if the user decides to leave the WiFi range....leaving the back up to be incomplete.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
thats a bit crazy....having handled 50+ iPhones over the years, I only seen power button failure on a OLD iPhone 4 [3+ years old] and that was it, all other's never had issues.

The 50+ included models from 4-5S [no 3G/3GS etc].

Only issue i have seen ever was the screen tinting of yellowish/blueish shading that is mostly visible on the iPhones when they are first launched....maybe you don't know how to use the power button? or think its broken because it makes slight clicking sound when the phone is shaken? my 5S and 5 did that but never once did i have issue using the button tho....

----------

If you click "Backup now" button correctly in iTunes then it will back up correctly...I think its impossible to backup incorrectly unless you miss to click that button....once that button is clicked you can see the progress at the top....do make sure the iPhone is connected via the USB cable to make sure the backup to the computer completes....doing it over WiFi can be unreliable if the user decides to leave the WiFi range....leaving the back up to be incomplete.

I guess you did not read my last post (#65) before coming to a conclusion. There is a recall for power/sleep button on some Iphone 5. So, no I know how to use an iPhone.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Of all the iPhones I've owned I haven't had any issues with power or home buttons.

My 4s had this problem. After two years of use.

----------

I totally agree. I see this crap everyday on here. It is never Apple's fault it has to be the user causing the problem.

You also see the flip of blaming Apple for everything and seeing every thing as a major manufacture defect when in some cases it's a scant percent and some of those likely have outside factors. Some of these defective sleep buttons are months old (even to the tune of a couple of years) and used all the time, have been dropped etc. Even the great Consume Reports article about the ***** iPhone 4 said 'in areas with bad cell service' which means the issue wasn't all the phone

I say a post about a guy who downloaded iOS 7 to his phone, and decided it was too buggy so he went back to iOS 6. Some how iTunes did not backup is phone correctly before he upgraded to iOS 7. He was mad because he had to go back to a year old backup.

A year old backup, yeah that's Apple's fault. They are to blame that he hadn't backed up his phone in a year and then decided to do it and update his phone. He made the choice not to backup his phone on a regular basis which makes the issue of having to lose a year of data his problem not Apples. Again outside factor to an issue that some folks want to put all the blame on Apple

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
My 4s had this problem. After two years of use.

----------

You also see the flip of blaming Apple for everything and seeing every thing as a major manufacture defect when in some cases it's a scant percent and some of those likely have outside factors. Some of these defective sleep buttons are months old (even to the tune of a couple of years) and used all the time, have been dropped etc. Even the great Consume Reports article about the ***** iPhone 4 said 'in areas with bad cell service' which means the issue wasn't all the phone

A year old backup, yeah that's Apple's fault. They are to blame that he hadn't backed up his phone in a year and then decided to do it and update his phone. He made the choice not to backup his phone on a regular basis which makes the issue of having to lose a year of data his problem not Apples. Again outside factor to an issue that some folks want to put all the blame on Apple

You did not read or quote my entire post. The post about the back up was not that he did not back it up. iTunes lost his backups. The same thing happen to me when I had to restore my iPad. It had lost all my backups other than year old ones. I had been backing it up every night.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
I guess you did not read my last post (#65) before coming to a conclusion. There is a recall for power/sleep button on some Iphone 5. So, no I know how to use an iPhone.

I see iPhone 5s.....not iPhone 5's....Yes I'm aware of the recall and it was for iPhone 5 only -- not 5S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.