Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the headline feature of iOS 16 is the ability to customize the Lock screen with new fonts, widgets, and more, the update will include several other useful features on the iPhone, with five of our favorite additions highlighted below.

ios-16-lock-screen-feature2.jpg

iOS 16 is currently in beta for Apple developers only, but Apple said a public beta will be available at some point in July. iOS 16 will be released for all users around September, and the update is compatible with the iPhone 8 and newer.

Live Activities

iOS 16 includes a new Live Activities feature that provides live notifications on the iPhone's Lock screen. Live Activities will be useful for staying on top of live events or other tasks, such as keeping up with the score of a sports game, tracking the progress of an Uber ride, monitoring the status of a Starbucks order, viewing a timer, and more.

ios-16-live-activities.jpg

Apple said Live Activities is coming in an update to iOS 16 later this year, meaning that it will not be available when iOS 16 is first released to all users. Apple will be making an API available to developers to offer Live Activities in their third-party apps, so there will likely be all sorts of different use cases for this handy new feature.

Edit or Unsend an iMessage

iOS 16 introduces the ability to edit or unsend recently sent iMessages, as well as mark iMessage conversations as unread after opening them. Apple allows users to edit or unsend an iMessage for up to 15 minutes after sending it.

ios-16-imessage-edit-unsend.jpg

To edit or unsend a message, users simply need to tap and hold on a bubble and select the appropriate option in the menu that appears. iMessages that have been edited are marked as "edited" below the message bubble, and edited or unsent messages are still visible in their original form to users running older software versions like iOS 15.

Nintendo Joy-Cons Support

Despite not being advertised as a feature on Apple's website, iOS 16 adds support for the Nintendo Switch's Joy-Cons and Pro Controller. iPhones running iOS 16 can be used with either single left or right Joy-Cons, or both at once as a singular controller.

nintendo-joy-cons.jpg

In the iOS 16 release notes for developers, Apple said the iPhone supports many additional Bluetooth game controllers on iOS 16, but Apple did not provide a list of the newly compatible controllers. This is on top of the iPhone's existing compatibility with PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers since the release of iOS 14.5.

Apple Pay Order Tracking

Apple Pay on iOS 16 is gaining built-in order tracking information in the Wallet app for online orders completed via Apple Pay. The tracker provides an order's estimated delivery date and indicates when a package is out for delivery.

ios-16-apple-pay-order-tracking.jpg

Fitness App Without Apple Watch

Starting with iOS 16, the Fitness app is now available on the iPhone for all users, even if they don't own an Apple Watch. The app features a daily Activity ring that relies on the iPhone's motion sensors to estimate a person's calories burned and steps per day.

fitness-app-ios-16.jpg

For a closer look at iOS 16, watch our video walkthrough of some of the biggest new features.

Article Link: Five Useful Features Coming to iPhone on iOS 16

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
Ive been using it for years and never had a single issue with it.
thanks. can you update through all the beta's and then onto the final release? i know there's always a risk and a it's a beta but just wondering if i can eventually get on the final version without having to restore from scratch.

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
thanks. can you update through all the beta's and then onto the final release? i know there's always a risk and a it's a beta but just wondering if i can eventually get on the final version without having to restore from scratch.

There is always a possibility to run into some issues once youre updating to final version from the beta, but thats how Apple has built their OSs, theyre not perfect.

Once you have the beta profile, yes you can go through all the betas, dev or public, your choice.

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
I think the fitness app may get some people on Fitbit to switch to the Apple Watch.

Fitness app became a standalone app for those who dont have apple watch, will it encourage them to actually buy apple watch to gain more features, maybe.

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
While I can see the usefulness, for me personally neither of those 5 you listed are a reason to upgrade, YMMV

Once 3rd party devs gets their hands to the iOS 16 API and start developing some useful apps, then it becomes really cool.

Especially package trackers, you get live schedule on your lockscreen etc.

Apple is and has been really poor in design aspect for decades, dont expect them to design something cool and useful. Its 3rd parties’ job.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
It'll point out the duplicates. You can take it from there from what the tidbits stated.

About Contact in iOS, I am still looking for this feature:

Since I have many contacts in the list, I want to know for each of them, when was the last time we contact each other? Who initiated the last contact? By which mean? Phone call? text message? FaceTime? Or something else?

Is that any app can help to track these information?

Reactions: amartinez1660

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
About Contact in iOS, I am still looking for this feature:

Since I have many contacts in the list, I want to know for each of them, when was the last time we contact each other? Who initiated the last contact? By which mean? Phone call? text message? FaceTime? Or something else?

Is that any app can help to track these information?
Unlikely you'll be able to have that information as iPhone OS doesn't keep any of that data right now; just a short list of incoming/outgoing calls. Can it be done? Sure it can. What for? AFDS

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
So does the editing feature of messages just send a corrected version? Does it recall the original message? I don't get how it works. Messages sent with iMessages are generally received instantly. I'm not sure how you can correct them within 15 minutes if the sent message has already been received. I must be missing something here.

Reactions: Cartoonkid

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020
Ugh! Look at those ugly user fonts on the lock screen. No more minimalism? No more skinny 2D fonts? What's next? A return to iOS 7 icons, with faux leather trimmings? :-(

Jony Ive must be rolling over in his bed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tech for Kings

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
So does the editing feature of messages just send a corrected version? Does it recall the original message? I don't get how it works. Messages sent with iMessages are generally received instantly. I'm not sure how you can correct them within 15 minutes if the sent message has already been received. I must be missing something here.
I'm confused about the editing functions, too. And if people running iOS15 or earlier can still see the original message, it seems to have very limited functionality.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
This article basically reports features that other articles on Macrumors already reported.

I was disappointed that there was absolutely nothing new to see here.

Reactions: Ifti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.