Fix apple watch cracked screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Yerimedrano, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Yerimedrano macrumors member

I have a apple watch sport version, it felt on a dumbbell and the screen is cracked now, i call apple but they charge $229 i don't wanna pay that. I watched some tutorials and videos and it doesn't look that hard to do it, I'm planing to buy this brand new screen http://www.etradesupply.com/apple-watch-digitizer-touch-screen-black-42mm.html but for some reason I'm not totally convinced it says in the description Not include lcd display. Also i compared both but the original one looks to have some kind of wires and chip or something i wonder if that is the lcd and if can i just change it to the new one. Here is a picture of the original one http://blog.iboxfix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/251.jpg please someone who has done this can help me, Thanks.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you by any chance charge it to Amex or a card that provides a 90-day accidental damage protection? If so, file a claim and they'll reimburse you the $229 for the replacement.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is not an iPhone. The :apple:Watch's crystal (OLED/Glass) has a water tight seal. To remove a watch crystal requires a crystal lift (specialized since rectangle). You also will have to be able to reseat (seal) the gasket properly and it may require a new one.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Without AppleCare+, you're going to have to pony up for the repair cost. There's too much downside to attempting a DIY repair - especially since the Watch is so new, and there is so little repair info out there.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or any credit cards that provide a 90-day accidental damage protection (Amex, Discover, etc.). Most major CCs have this and it makes no sense to use a debit card for such purchases.

6. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

No i paid with a Visa card from Wells Fargo, i also spoke with the supervisor and he said that is nothing he can do. And i just ordered a case protector a day before.

7. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm planing to but that seal i found a page called ifixit.com they have that kind of special adhesive to seal it https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+Watch+Adhesive+Replacement/41083

8. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

This is why you buy Apple care. It would of cost you a lot less and a lot less hassles.

9. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

I know i didn't buy it because I thought it was not that easy to crack but I guess i just have bad luck.

10. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

Anyways i would pay maybe 150 but 230 i think it's too much more than half of the brand new one. I have had a iPhones iPads and never brought apple protection plan so i thought i wouldn't need it this time.

11. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

Bought*

12. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

being a wearable, i figured the chances of the watch being damaged is much higher than the phone. the $49 for apple care cost seemed like a no brainer to me so i just bought it this morning.

13. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

Also you can buy a protector there are some pretty good in amazon, can. You buy it after you buy the watch?

14. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Yes I bought it after the watch. It delivered on Friday and I called 800-275-2273 and added it this morning. Apple will send you a payment link to purchase apple care. You can't purchase it on your own after the fact unless you call or go into an Apple store.

15. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

Couldn't you just purchase the AppleCare now then in a few days of activating it call Apple ?

16. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

I think they have to inspect the product i guess. I'm gonna try lol

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

@leebroath Pretty sure insurance fraud is a felony in most countries.

OP, if you are adamant that you're going to replace it yourself, you should at least replace it with a Sapphire lens, as opposed to another Ion-X glass lens. ifixit likely has sources for both.

You should also keep in mind that this is going to cost you a lot more than the cost of the replacement. Your resale value is going to be impacted - unless you're going to withhold that info.

18. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

I think I have to take it for them to inspect it but i gonna try anyways lol

19. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

You can purchase AppleCare over the phone or online

@fischersd and you've never downloaded a music track, game or film illegally in your life? Cmon...I'm just helping a guy out and so what if he claims on the newly purchased AppleCare, you think he's the only one??

20. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

I think it's not compatible the sapphire one with sport version, i don't want to risk anything buying the wrong one. Actually i think it would cost about 90 or 100 dollars buying the new glass, tools, and sealer what I want to figure out is if that is the correct one but I think it is to early for people to know that, as I said the screen of the original seems to have something else under it.

21. Yerimedrano thread starter macrumors member

They should give at least 2 or 3 months of warranty for $349 its a little expensive to break that easy lol

22. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

They give a full year warranty but that is to cover defects of their own making, not collisions with dumbbells and other unfortunate accidents. The Apple Care + is there for that and is reasonably priced, IMO. It's not reasonable to expect a business to cover user inflicted damage without charging for some sort of protection plan.

When I bought mine after I'd had it a couple of weeks I did have to hand it over for a cursory look-over.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Amex and most credit cards provide a 90-day accidental damage protection at no cost to you. In the future, use a credit card instead of bank/debit card.

24. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

ok heres what i think. first off, i wouldnt call it "insurance fraud" and it certainly isnt a felony. its just morally inconsiderate.

i do think it would be a jerk move to knowingly have your screen broken, get applecare, then days later utilize it. im sure many of people have tried that and im sure it works, but its just morally wrong. im sure apple will raise an eyebrow if you use your claim immediately upon getting it and make it look pretty sketchy. usually, you have 60 days from purchase to get apple care. when i got it this morning, my watch has only been in my possession for 2 days. apple didnt even question its condition. now the longer you wait, the more likely they will want to inspect it in person before allowing you to purchase it. if you have had it for a few weeks, they may just do that.

if i were you, i would call apple and admit whats going on and see if the rep is nice enough to let you get it and still submit a claim.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Same here being a wearable AC+ is a good idea even though I do not generally purchase these plans but the watch has a great chance of being harmed in my opinion