Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
dont have to be an asshat about esp in a thread where someone is trying to help you. Just because you restored does not mean that the settings went away - they didnt on mine. Go find another thread and others to help you if you cant be non aggressive - I wish you had seen the original reply that got deleted.

If you do a DFU restore it will reset your carrier settings. It should at least.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
If you do a DFU restore it will reset your carrier settings. It should at least.

I will have to try that - although from multiple calls to ATT -they plan on having it ready on the 17th so that this point I am willing to give up on MMS. I have had tethering working all along. You know it is funny - I would think that ATT and would rather block tethering than MMS - tethering uses way more network bandwidth.

RIDE

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2007
For those that have had their Visual Voicemail stop working after installing the IPPC that gives you tethering and MMS options here is the fix -

settings>general>netwrok>Cellular Data Network>Visual Voicemail>

Current with modded IPPC = wap.cingular - change this to acds.voicemail, then restart phone.

APN needs to be set to acds.voicemail

Thank you very much!!! fixed my problem perfectly! 3g iPhone, running 3.0 GoldMaster, working MMS, working tethering, and now... working Visual Voicemail!.

thanks again!

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Worked Perfectly

It took me a few tries to get it fixed, but it did work. I added the acds.voicemail, did a hard reboot. Then I called myself from another phone and left a voicemail. It came back and said Incorrect Password. I input my vmail password, and voila! It worked!

:D

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I will have to try that - although from multiple calls to ATT -they plan on having it ready on the 17th so that this point I am willing to give up on MMS. I have had tethering working all along. You know it is funny - I would think that ATT and would rather block tethering than MMS - tethering uses way more network bandwidth.

The 17th of what month....lol?! Obviously those multiple calls to reps gave you a bunch of BS, since it's now the 20th and nothing about giving us MMS any sooner than late summer.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Thanks for the fix! This fixed it for me.

Happily tethering on my 3G S now with visual voicemail working (I don't care about MMS).

Do you think AT&T will "catch" us who are using 'acds.voicemail' to access our voicemail? I don't plan on tethering a lot, but it could be useful in a pinch at the coffee shop that charges for Wifi.

theHunter

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
Ok, my wife's phone has VVM and tethering working without making this change, but my phone either has tethering working with just the ipcc loaded or VVM with acds.voicemail in the VVM apn spot, tethering disappears after changing that setting.

Yuusharo

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Ok, my wife's phone has VVM and tethering working without making this change, but my phone either has tethering working with just the ipcc loaded or VVM with acds.voicemail in the VVM apn spot, tethering disappears after changing that setting.
That has been my EXACT experience with my iPhone 3G. If I use the modified IPCC either installed directly on the phone or through iTunes, tethering will work but Visual Voicemail will not. When I modify the voicemail setting to "acds.voicemail," visual voicemail is suddenly restored, but once I attempt to tether again, the option disappears.

I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it, but for now, I emailed myself the modified file and any time I want to tether, I'll jump into mail and download that attachment. When I'm done, you can go to Settings->Profile and simply "remove" the profile. This should default you to whatever your carrier settings should be.

mobial

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Same problem - change Visual Voicemail and Tethering disappears

That has been my EXACT experience with my iPhone 3G. If I use the modified IPCC either installed directly on the phone or through iTunes, tethering will work but Visual Voicemail will not. When I modify the voicemail setting to "acds.voicemail," visual voicemail is suddenly restored, but once I attempt to tether again, the option disappears..

SAME HERE - TO TETHER, THEN
  1. Reinstall the IPCC before you tether,
  2. Tether
  3. Then change the acds.voicemail when done tethering
  4. Scratch head again, or cuss, or whatever

luv2xlr8

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
I have a question, how did you guys install the IPPC? Did you do it through the website on safari or through Cydia? I installed the IPPC from safari a while ago and everything was working fine except that I had no MMS. A couple of days ago I installed the settings for tethering and MMS through Cydia, and I still had no MMS and my voicemail stopped working. So I changed the APN and got the visual vm to work but now I can't tether. I don't know know what the hell is going on. Can I get some help please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.