FIX from Apple for SLOW iPhone 3G after upgrading to iOS 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xdext3r, Jul 26, 2010.

1. xdext3r macrumors newbie

Please let everyone know. It's crazy that Apple is pushing iOS 4 onto these older phones with no way to revert back!

So Apple pushed the iOS4 update onto my 3G (apparently due to carrier settings that require iOS4)
    As with almost ALL 3G owners iOS4 runs really slow on the 3G phone. At times the phone is unusable. Takes forever to open any given App.

Apple Support told me that it is because the 3G doesn't have enough RAM.

Apple doesn't have a way to revert the phone back to iOS 3.x (which would fix the issue - none of the iOS4 features work on the 3G anyways).
    And because I'm locked into a 3-year contract it would be costly for me to upgrade to the iPhone 4.

But if you escalate your support call and keep pushing they WILL send you a NEW replacement 3G phone with iOS 3.x installed.

They sent it to me overnight delivery and recommended I DO NOT install iOS4 again.

I DO NOT have Apple Care. I just requested a support call-back through Apple.com.

So that's their fix - they send you a new 3G phone with the older faster OS!

2. sportster macrumors 6502

Where are you at? A 3 year contract?

My girlfriend is in the same boat with her 3g, stuck in a contract till May '11 though (only 2 year contact)

3. xdext3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm at the end of year 1 of my 3-year contract.
    I stayed on the phone with Apple Support and kept escalating - telling them that it was their fault for pushing iOS4 on hardware if they know there isn't enough RAM. I can't upgrade the hardware and I'm stuck in a 3-year contract! Crazy!

They finally gave in and sent me a new 3G phone with the older OS and told me "don't upgrade this one"

:)

4. Davvido macrumors regular

Davvido

iPhone 3G is really easy to downgrade. Just press "Restore" button in iTunes while holing alt, point iOS 3.1.3, and if the restore process ends up with error 1015 - use Umbrella to "kick it out from Recovery Mode". AND THAT'S IT - no jailbreak, no shsh blobs, no problems at all. :)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need to call applecare or have your iphone replaced.
    You can downgrade to 3.1.3 at any time by yourself if you dont like 4.0
    But even with 3.1.3 the iphone 3G is turtle.
    And also apple didnt push any update to you, itunes told you that there's an available update for your phone and you accepted, downloaded it and installed it.
    So its not like they shoved it down your throat.

6. xdext3r thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not exactly true. There was a carrier update that was supposed to fix data connection drops with my carrier and iOS4 was installed during the update (the update didn't help).

In fact that's what Apple Support was initially trying to tell me - that if I downgraded back to 3.1.3 my cell service would eventually stop working. Which is BS.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A carrier update and a firmware update has nothing to do with eachother. The carrier update is whats pushed to your phone NOT the firmware update. New firmware is only installed thru itunes.
    You can manually install the carrier file at any time thru itunes by downloading the correct .IPCC file.
    Also they lied to you when they said your cell serivce would stop working if you go back down to 3.1.3

8. frazzled1 macrumors newbie

Me too

Thanks for posting - 4.0 has made my 3G horribly slow to open apps, and the phone doesn't work as well now either (incoming calls don't always ring). I was suspecting the update, but I wasn't sure until I read your post.

Just wondering - exactly how much escalating did you have to do w/ customer service to get a new 3G with 3.0?? Are we talking hours of time, or did they offer up a new phone without much of a fight? I'm assuming you went through Apple, not ATT. I don't have Applecare either, so glad to hear it isn't a total lost cause!

9. xdext3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I went through Apple's support site directly. Logged in with my AppleID and went through the request a call-back procedure. Normally that in itself has a cost (if you don't have Applecare) however there is an option to request an "exception" if you think it's hardware related. So the call was free.

I was on the phone for a total of about 10 minutes. Spoke to 2 different people. I just stuck to the story ... "Why would you offer an update that rendered my phone useless with no way to officially downgrade. I can't upgrade the phone because I'm locked into a contract. The phone is unusable and I;m stuck with it for 2 more years ....."

They tried to tell me I needed iOS4 for the carrier updates, otherwise my phone would stop working. I simply kept telling them the phone doesn't work anyways ... and I want to go back to 3.1.3 ...

10. cirial macrumors regular

You could of done it yourself, and you don't NEED the carrier update.

11. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Hmm I guess they need some way to get rid of all those spare 3G models they have kickin' around :p

12. TecnoMuzik macrumors newbie

My brother had a 3G with nothing but problems after upgrading to 4.0. He tried all the usual things but nothing worked. He fired off an email to Steve Jobs and about a day later got a call from some Apple rep. They had my brother email them some logs from the phone and after a few days they ended up shipping him a brand new 16GB iPhone 4. Maybe you should try contacting Steve Jobs? ;)

13. HottyToddy macrumors newbie

I tried this and must have done something wrong. What do you mean "point iOS 3.1.3?" I held down Alt + Restore and it took me to the box saying I was about to download OS4. I saw no other options....

TIA.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On windows is hold Shift and click restore, Mac OS hold option+click restore.

15. stevemiller macrumors 68000

The op has described my situation EXACTLY. I'm even going to bet he's on fido in Canada. I don't know what to do. I've tried downgrading to os3 but the data connection issues have persisted nonstop on both 3.1.3 and 4.0.1. Feels like a carrier issue but they firmly try to blame apple, and I'm sure when I get in to an apple store they'll just point the finger back at fido. Meanwhile I'm left with a crippled phone and 2 more years on my contract

16. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or better yet, 3G users should know that they do NOT have to upgrade the OS, right??

BL.

18. stevemiller macrumors 68000

its worth noting that the tech support monkeys that work at many phone companies tell you that you must upgrade software to fix whatever issue you may be having. and then if the problem persists, they will tell you that upgrading was what caused the issue in the first place and that you're on your own. it makes no sense, but thats where they've left me.

19. pisces03x macrumors regular

Coming up in iOS 4.1: an iPhone 3G Processor-Upgrade App... let Apple mail you a free processor upgrade, only takes between 5 and 2000 weeks to arrive in the mail. Or, if you don't like Apple's processor, you can choose any third-party processor to be mailed to you... care for an EVO 4G processor in your outdated 3G? :rolleyes:

20. swiftflo macrumors regular

Slow iphone 3G

I must be one of the lucky ones. I do not find my iphone slow when opening up apps, the only thing I find slow since updating is the startup, It takes 50 secs from pressing the button to the slider for opening it up.

21. gsolon macrumors newbie

My experience with this problem

My post is being removed from the Apple discussion boards, so I am posting it here. I guess they don't want me to share my story... but alas, here it is:

--

My Apple, My Apple, why have you forsaken me?

Three weeks of trying to resolve this issue with my service provider (Optus), Apple and my insurance company - no result, very little help. My iPhone 3G is

still frustratingly slow and in some cases, unusable. Yes, UNUSABLE.

Optus (service provider): pretty useless, but cannot blame them, it's really not their issue. But the fact that I did buy the handset from them and on a

contract and they can offer no help (bar suggesting I pay $700 for an upgrade!) is pretty dismal. They also didn't offer any chance to talk with a supervisor or

customer service supervisor.

Apple: At least their representatives made me "feel" like they felt my pain too. It's pretty obvious their service team was stuck between a rock and a hard

place. They know of the problem, they definitely do, but they can only offer apologies (which I did get) and shared experiences (one supervisor said she's also

suffering from the problem... then ended up saying she was happy in a way because it would mean she'd switch to the iPhone 4 quicker... to that I can only say

yes, I would do that too if I had a bucket load of money). Anyways, end of the story with Apple was that they are sorry for my problems, but they cannot offer

me any help at the moment. They said two things, 1) downgrade it, even though it's unsupported (which surprised me a bit) and confirmed if it bricked the phone,

it's my loss and 2) wait for an update from Apple that will fix the problem, which they said has been "rumoured" and really didn't have any concrete knowledge

that a fix would even be provided... so essentially, 'wait until a fix will come, but we can't guarantee it will come'... sigh!

GIO (my insurance company): I have my iPhones covered under GIO and called them up. The conversation went something like...
    Me - "Does my policy cover bad software updates by Apple?"
    GIO - "Mmmm, no. Only physical damage, theft or loss."
    Me - "Dammit! Ok, thank you for your help."
    GIO - "Not a problem, have a nice day."
    Me - "Ok, I will try... I hate Apple."
    GIO - "I feel your pain."
    Me - "Thank you... it's just so frustrating!"
    GIO - "Yes sir, I can imagine."
    Me - "...it's just that, it's just that the phone, it... it makes me angry!"
    GIO - "Indeed sir."
    Me - "So angry! And my wife... she has the same phone, and the same problems. She's angry too!"
    GIO - "Sir, please be aware we are not a counselling service."
    Me - "...I'm sorry."
    GIO - "No, that's fine sir."
    Me - "It's just that... no one understands my pain. No one can help me... I feel like crying."
    GIO - "Sir... sir... don't cry. Sir, again, we are not a counselling service."
    Me - "...yes, yes I know. I'm sorry."
    GIO - "You don't have to apologise sir. We understand."
    Me - "Thank you... thank you for your help."
    GIO - "Not a problem, I'm sorry we couldn't help you in this situation."
    Me - "...I bet Steve Jobs doesn't care about me!"
    GIO - "Sir... again, I'm sorry but we cannot help you in this situation."
    Me - "Ok, that's fine... I'll leave to do your work... I'm sorry."
    GIO - "That's fine sir, thank you for your call."
    Me - "Ok... bye, thanks again. Thanks for listening."
    GIO - "Goodbye."

...so yeah... I guess my point is, I'm stuck with a crappy slow phone dammit! Not. Happy. Jan!

22. mlewan macrumors newbie

The reason your post is removed from Apple's forum is probably that you only post your story and frustration. The purpose of those forums is to discuss technical problems in order to find a solution. By removing off topic material, the discussions will be more focused.

This policy is described in their Terms of Use.

It would have been nice of them to point this out to you, however, and to suggest other forums where you could vent freely, like this one.

23. gsolon macrumors newbie

Yes, Apple have their own "terms and conditions", so that's fine. We've now created our own site in our frustration at the lack of appreciation of their customers. If I can't post my frustrations, my real frustrations with their products on their site, I'll create my own!

And here it is: www.forsakenbyapple.com

Thanks,
    Greg

24. stevemiller macrumors 68000

@gsolon

I feel your pain and agree it's pretty lame that many 3G users are left with phones that are functionally worse than when we bought them.

But I do think it's in poor taste to set up a donation page for you and your wife to get different phones. If you were able to indulge in smart phones in the first place, you can't be that hard up. There are a lot greater causes out there that could benefit from peoples charity, so even if you're being tongue and cheek, I still think it's tacky. We DO deserve better from apple, but we aren't and shouldn't be at the front of the line for some sort of cosmic compensation

25. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I felt pretty bad for you until i checked your website. Fair enough you've got bad experiences but asking people for donations to 'support the cause'. Perhaps if you used those donations to camp outside Apple HQ.. :eek: