Fix Incoming for Google Drive Issue Preventing Many File Types From Opening in Apple's Files App [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Since the Google Drive app for iOS was updated earlier this month, several iPhone and iPad users have been unable to open Microsoft Word documents and many other file types in Apple's Files app for iOS 11 or iCloud Drive app for iOS 10.

[​IMG]

Instead, when users with the Google Drive app installed attempt to open a DOCX file in the Files or iCloud Drive apps, for example, the Google Drive app automatically opens and displays a prompt to save the file.

MacRumors has been able to duplicate the issue, which is likely a Google Drive problem rather than a Files or iCloud Drive one.

The only solution to the problem for now appears to be uninstalling the Google Drive app. Google has yet to comment on the matter, but it will presumably have to release another update to the Google Drive app to fix this issue.

Update: The issue appears to be the result of Google registering for the "public.data" UTI and setting its handler rank to "owner." Then, the latest update to Google Drive seemingly added open-in-place support for "public.data," which is all data types, and became the default opener for many other file types.
    A source familiar with the matter informed MacRumors that Google is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

Update 2: Google Drive has been updated and no longer hijacks file opening duties in Files or iCloud Drive.

Article Link: Fix Incoming for Google Drive Issue Preventing Many File Types From Opening in Apple's Files App [Updated]

2. brian3uk macrumors 6502

Do any file sharing apps work well with Files? Dropbox cant be passcode locked, Mega is finicky, and Google ain't right. I'm not going to unlock my Dropbox account just to use Files. For a new iOS interface, the app developers sure haven't embraced it very well. Not to mention the Siri search ignores the passcode lock on Mega, so that can provide some surprising thumbnails in the search results.

3. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

WOW, glad it wasn't just me. I had to uninstall Google Drive because I was so fed up with not being able to open my school files in the new Files app. I hope they fix this soon because it felt like a step back

4. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I'm also having issues with Dropbox trying to open some Pages files, because it gets displayed as a container (folder) rather than a file, and it doesn't open.

5. cmaier macrumors G5

The issue is that google drive registers itself to open all files that don't have other apps that register as open-in-place

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The files app is a bit of a mess and will remain so until developers embrace it properly. On this issue, the solution I use is to open Word first and then select the file by going to the "other" location which opens the files interface and you can open the file from there

It's not ideal, but better than nothing

7. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

What’s going on with google? Google removed YouTube from amazon echo, removed protube, made it incompatible with this one. Something is going on..

8. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy

I didn't know that Pages or Numbers app would work if loaded in Dropbox. Does it work? If so, that would be great.

9. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Isn't the underlying issue the fact that Apple doesn't allow you to set default "open with" apps for various file types?

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

11. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I've updated the article with some information about that.

12. cmaier macrumors G5

Doing that would solve the problem. Google not doing what it is trying to do would also solve the problem.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's interesting that iOS allows an app to do something like that where it could take over some functionality essentially in an overall manner like that.

14. cmaier macrumors G5

Not necessarily a bad thing in some contexts. If I write an app that really can open every kind of file, and I advertise that to the OS, not necessarily bad that the OS chooses it. For example, I could conceivably write an app that checks the file type and then launches an app the user has suggested is the correct default ;-). Probably wouldn’t be permitted in the App Store, though :-(

15. petsounds macrumors 65816

The real issue is that Google was even allowed to do this from a dev point-of-view. And the lack of user-customizable defaults for file types is a huge oversight by Apple. This is going to keep happening, and probably in more malicious ways, until Apple addresses this.

16. Defthand macrumors 65816

Speaking of supported cloud services… I haven’t been able to link Adobe’s Creative Cloud service to Apple’s Files app, even though Creative Cloud is pictured in one of the promotional illustrations. Have any Creative Cloud users been able to?

17. Mayanja macrumors regular

Yup you are right. These files are all opened with edit rights, so a malicious app can delete their content... might take a while before people would notice that.

18. vooke macrumors 6502

vooke

On iPad Air and I don’t have any of this...opening docx just as fine whether on Icloud or Google Drive. I notice I’m being redirected to the respective drives but the files are opening

19. Tmelon macrumors 65816

Drive was just updated with support for the Files app and this still isn’t fixed. This is infuriating.

20. mcann1234 macrumors newbie

mcann1234

--- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    I updated Google Drive on my iPhone and iPad. The issue continued on my phone, but was resolved on my iPad; for a few days. Today, randomly, the issue with my iPad returned. No idea why it all of a sudden happened again.

21. MikeinCary macrumors newbie

MikeinCary

--- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---
    This has NOT resolved the issue. In essence Google Drive will hijack ANY MS software documents that are held in another ‘location’ (OneDrive, Dropbox, for example). This has NOT been fixed, and because of this issue it renders the use of the Files App useless. I cannot understand why Apple would allow an App to continue to do this. They need to either force Google to fix the damned thing, or remove it from being able to interact with the Files App. Why should OneDrive and Dropbox users suffer because of Google???
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---
    Addendum: Please don’t tell me to uninstall GoogleDrive - I am FORCED to use it at work. Further, I am FORCED by some other apps to use Dropbox as a backup. I have NO choice on those things. I ‘could’ drop OneDrive but have been using it for personal files from more than 10 years... so No. This is Google’s issue to fix - not mine.

22. Mayanja macrumors regular

23. MikeinCary macrumors newbie

MikeinCary

Doesn’t work for me at all. I cannot open any Excel, Word or PowerPoint files that are in OneDrive or Dropbox from the Files App because Google Drive takes control (and even it won’t ‘open’ them). I AM able to open non-MS files, such as jpegs, PDFs, etc. Just can’t open MicroSoft product files. To be clear - I AM able to open MS files from the Google Drive location within the Files App. I am forced by my company to use Google Drive for work files, but I use OneDrive for personal files (and have for 10+ years).

24. Tmelon macrumors 65816

After updating to beta 2 of iOS 11.1 I'm no longer having this issue. I'm not sure if this version changes the permissions for 3rd party apps, but regardless I'm glad to finally not be having my documents hijacked by Google Drive.

25. MikeinCary macrumors newbie

MikeinCary

Am confused... the Files App is new to iOS 11... are you talking about the old iCloud Drive? I am on iOS 11.03 (most current, and the (new) Files App in iOS 11 has NEVER worked for me because Google hijacks all MS file types (.xlsx, pptx, and doc).