Fixing a stock- Best glue?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iModFrenzy, Dec 14, 2015.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

So as a Christmas present for my dad, I decided to try fixing his Pellet gun that he broke the stock on a year or 2 ago. I tried using Krazy Glue which just resulted in me painfully pealing it off(happy to say I got it all off within 2 hours tho!:p). Now I am using Elmers Carpenter Wood Max glue which people have said works for repairing stocks. I didn't apply the glue too long ago so, I need to wait a few days.

[​IMG]
    Very sloppy, but hey the glue turns a nice color when dry. I also plan to use brown paint and make it blend in a little bit.:)

Anyway, what glue would you use?

2. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

First I would remove all the metal parts of the pellet gun and just work on the wooden part. Sand the whole thing down so you will have no issues matching the color properly throughout the whole wooden piece. I would then reinforce the joint that would hold the two broken pieces together with some wooden dowels or a biscuit. Holding two pieces of wood with just glue is not going to be a strong bond and will just fall apart in short span of time.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

@BernyMac knows what he is talking about. Listen to him if/when it breaks again.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

OP, why is glue smeared all over?

I'd think you'd also want to devise a way to press the pieces together while drying for a good bond.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I'd just buy him a new pellet gun.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You may be able to find a new stock on eBay or somewhere.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The stock will need to be pinned and glued. Then there will be no guarantee that it will hold properly. Gorilla glue is a very good glue. I use it for my wood work and have found it to be impossible to pull apart anything that I have used it on once it dries. Sands easily and can be stained afterwards.

Personally I would pull it apart to do it. The other thing I would do, as already stated. look for a replacement stock. Can not be that expensive.

8. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac