Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Flappy Bird clones are the new flashlight apps. :) Everyone has to make one.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
The dev of the original game is an idiot.

So he's an idiot because he created an extremely popular app and inspired countless clones? That seems like the opposite, more along the lines of brilliant.

No there's plenty of shame when you can't think of an original idea and blatantly rip someone else's off.

Why so serious? There's nothing new under the sun ;)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Editorial??

Flappy Bee wasn't released until after Flappy Bird was removed from the app store. Capitalizing while the iron is hot? You betcha. Unscrupulous? Personal opinion at best.

Unscrupulous because he used stolen artwork.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Over a 24-hour period beginning yesterday, approximately 293 new iOS games have been released into the App Store. 95 of those games are either Flappy Bird clones or heavily inspired by the original Flappy Bird title, according to data gathered by The Guardian.

Where those among free or all games? In any case it seems like a good opportunity to stand out at the moment by simply NOT making a "flappy" clone.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Where those among free or all games? In any case it seems like a good opportunity to stand out by simply NOT making a "flappy" clone at the moment.

This. Have faith in your own design skills and inspiration. And even if you did make a fortune from a flappy clone, if you really want to be known as 'the person who made a fortune from ripping off a popular game', you can't have much integrity or self-belief.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Good point. I guess my attention span for gaming nowadays has decreased from what it was when I was 14-16 years old.

Same here, in fact I really can't stand video games or the cult-like culture that I've had too many friends and coworkers exhibit. Escapism in full tilt.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A flappy section has actually been featured by BlackBerry World lately.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
The simplicity of the game (creation wise) and it's quick success is the reason why plenty of devs are trying their luck but it's too late for a successor people have already grown tired of the original game, it was a one hit wonder.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So he's an idiot because he created an extremely popular app and inspired countless clones? That seems like the opposite, more along the lines of brilliant.
He's an idiot because he quit developing such a popular game. I guess he hates money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.