Flash iPod Details?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacWorld.co.uk posts confirmation of previously posted images of an ad banner for the upcoming Flash iPod (Shuffle). MacWorld.co.uk provides the following description of the upcoming device:

The micro iPod is white, and will hold 240 songs – but has no screen so will play the unlisted tracks in a set order or in random fashion. Four buttons are arranged in a square formation – two large buttons and two smaller ones.
One more day.

balconycollapse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
Ames, IA
The poster, at least the crumpled part below we can't see looks like two arms reaching down. Two black shadow arms, as if they were working a turntable or manipulating something.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
240 is such a weird number....what about 250?

No screen is also weird...but I don't think that will matter. It will be a hit.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
if microsoft can market anti-virii software for its buggy OS, then Apple can advertise a "lack of features" as you say. its a crazy world. ;)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If Apple manage to make this a hit I'm going to be very impressed.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if it flops, even with the name 'iPod'. Its going to have to have a cheap price without a screen ( yes, price issue - where have we heard this before regarding iPods!!).

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
balconycollapse said:
The poster, at least the crumpled part below we can't see looks like two arms reaching down. Two black shadow arms, as if they were working a turntable or manipulating something.
Actually, the image is that of the random play button you see in iTunes. Have a look at it, and you will see its pretty much a perfect match.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
"There was panic at the Apple stand at Macworld Expo San Francisco 2005 on Monday when one of the covered Apple banners was briefly exposed to other exhibitors building their booths at the Moscone Center's South Hall. The banner gave away closely guarded secrets about the company's much-rumoured forthcoming flash-based digital-music player."

Someone will get 'Steved'. Look out for appropriate job postings! ;-)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this is a mistake.

Perhaps it has a tiny screen that only displays one line, something small enough that the people looking at the signs didn't see it because a bit of it was folded over. Or maybe they're just saying that to get publicity.

And the slogan could be explained as a new 'random play' feature.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Moonlight said:
why are they advertising a lack of features ?

i.e. no screen = "life is random"
If you've ever heard a teenager talk these days, they think almost everything is "random." :) They're definitely going after a younger crowd with that slogan.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Having the remote on the full size iPod has no screen. If you organize your playlists and can easily switch playlists then you don't need a screen. I think the 60 GB iPod Photo needs a screen!

Perhaps this will be like the "no floppy drive?" comment from the 1990s. Maybe it will flop on Tuesday, you never know.

Moonlight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
How can you call it an iPod when it doesn't have what makes and iPod stand out from every other player on the market ? The Wheel, and UI. It does not make sense. Apple would not make a flash iPod without making it better than the competition.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Stella said:
If Apple manage to make this a hit I'm going to be very impressed.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if it flops, even with the name 'iPod'. Its going to have to have a cheap price without a screen ( yes, price issue - where have we heard this before regarding iPods!!).
I could not agree more.. no screen sounds weird, maybe they found a way to read minds and play whatever song that user thinks of :p WOW.. That would rock, wouldnt it...

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
balconycollapse said:
if you look caretfully it is an arrow, like the one in iTunes. It is the button for Random/Shuffle...hence the slogan..."life is random"

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
i really cant imagine

i really cant imagine what this will really look like. i actually have no idea even with the description

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
GFLPraxis said:
I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this is a mistake.

Perhaps it has a tiny screen that only displays one line, something small enough that the people looking at the signs didn't see it because a bit of it was folded over. Or maybe they're just saying that to get publicity.

And the slogan could be explained as a new 'random play' feature.

Yes, I like to believe in that, too... But I guess that's all wishful thinking. Remember this?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000040022898/

Perhaps their artists' rendering was more accurate than we thought at the time, ever thought about that?

We'll find out about that in a couple of hours, though ;)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
What buttons? Volume up/down, next track/prev track... thats 4, so how do you switch it from shuffle to normal mode? Doesn't quite make sense.

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
240 Songs... Damn. I guess AACplus isn't coming concurrently with the iPod flash.

That was my individual, private prediction... with a low-capacity iPod, I was sure we'd see the new "64kbps = great quality" codec. Guess not.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
GFLPraxis said:
No screen? I don't know about this.
Some things just take time to get used to, I'm sure people will learn to live without a screen after while, especially if you are a runner/jogger. Do you really need to stop and change songs while you're are running ?
A 240 song limit screams for a custom song list, so the "random part" might work fine.

Let's wait and hear what dear Mr.Jobs has to say.

MSLonghorny

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
Apple's very creative, but I don't think they are creative enough to make a 250 song iPod without a screen. I agree with balconycollapse. "Life is Random" sounds like a really good slogan for a breakout box. But I thought maybe it was two arrows going in opposite directions. I don't know what this could mean, maybe something iWork related? Because I do not think iWork will only include two applications (Pages & Keynote). And who said Shuffle was going to be the iPod? Rumors gone a muck