Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple argue that their patent is the iPhone user interface, and come on ... be honest here. How many mobile phones used that kind of interface with rotate to change aspect ratio and pinch/zoom or double tap gestures, before the iPhone arrived and became a success.

It was suggested at least as far back as 2001 that an accelerometer could be used to rotate smartphone screens. By 2004 they were being used to auto-rotate Tablet PC screens. In 2006 the Nokia 5500 phone came with one.

Also in 2006 the Open Moko project announced plans for a smartphone with capacitive multi-touch and pinch zoom. (see images for it below) Not much public fuss was made over it. A few months later the iPhone stole its thunder by having the same features, but much better press coverage.

Attachments

• iphone_linux.jpg
    iphone_linux.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 64
  • open_moko_pinch.jpg
    open_moko_pinch.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 53

bigpope

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
It was suggested at least as far back as 2001 that an accelerometer could be used to rotate smartphone screens. By 2004 they were being used to auto-rotate Tablet PC screens. In 2006 the Nokia 5500 phone came with one.

Also in 2006 the Open Moko project announced plans for a smartphone with capacitive multi-touch and pinch zoom. (see images for it below) Not much public fuss was made over it. A few months later the iPhone stole its thunder by having the same features, but much better press coverage.

Hmm. Interesting tidbits.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
Apple argue that their patent is the iPhone user interface, and come on ... be honest here. How many mobile phones used that kind of interface with rotate to change aspect ratio and pinch/zoom or double tap gestures, before the iPhone arrived and became a success.

I'm well aware that companies had touch screens in the past, and I had a Sony Ericsson with a flip down physical keyboard and large touch screen that used a stylus. The issue is that companies now almost identically copy the iPhone user experience/interface to the tee.

If you wish to see the monstrosity I used in the early noughties ... here it is here:
img_144492_p800.jpg

If you don't like my opinion, debate it, but don't dare ridicule.

Apple copied Ideas too. This is why I hate software patents. I think they should only last for about 1-2 years maximum, otherwise they start to hinder creativity/alternate uses of a good idea.

2673998757_07e6d9274f.jpg

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Why is this posted in an iPhone forum?

It's called competition. It improves products and lowers the price to the consumers. I love my iPhone 3gs but it seems that about one out of four emails I get has an attachment that requires Flash and that sucks for iPhone owners. I think the folks who buy the iPad will be pissed about too. I hope Apple doesn't become so hard headed that they wind up being last on something simple like flash. Free market competition always gives the consumers what they want.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
It's called competition. It improves products and lowers the price to the consumers. I love my iPhone 3gs but it seems that about one out of four emails I get has an attachment that requires Flash and that sucks for iPhone owners. I think the folks who buy the iPad will be pissed about too. I hope Apple doesn't become so hard headed that they wind up being last on something simple like flash. Free market competition always gives the consumers what they want.

Maybe flash is the problem. If that is out only option to watch video and do other things that is a problem. Apple is doing the smart thing by not adding it to thier phone. If you ask me flash has gotten to big and you talk about comption and improving things. who is going do make flash better?

Chevenowner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I m definately buying a nexus 1
multi tasking
custimasation
flash player
fast processor
what else do I want
truely impressive :)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
this is really embarrassing for apple actually... unless they get HTML5 rolling like tomorrow.

Funny you should say that as 4 days ago all the working drafts went up on w3.org:
HTML: The Markup Language
HTML5 differences from HTML4
HTML Canvas 2D Context
HTML Microdata
HTML+RDFa
HTML5: A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML

I don't think Apple is embarrassed, just as they weren't embarrassed to ship iMac with no floppy drive. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm just explaining how they think. You may think Apple should feel embarrassed but Steve Jobs looked quite content on stage demoing iPad with the blue plugin square prominently displayed in place of flash content. It didn't look like an accident, he didn't look embarrassed.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Yes, here it is:
3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and built- in interpreter(s).

I get that Flash cannot be used to run mini-programs like games (yuck - who cares?), but surely this does not apply to displaying Flash multimedia content per se. Certainly one can download Flash multimedia files, view them and translate them without having the full-blown Flash interpreter.

And why can't Apple provide limited Flash functionality? If they're so paranoid about Flash drawbacks, they could write their own interpreter (or heaven forbid collaborate with Adobe) that does what most users want: showing multimedia files (movies, sounds, pictures etc.). A big drawback of the iPhone is that many e-commerce sites don't work because they rely simple Flash content. Apple's pointing of the finger at Adobe without providing an alternative is lazy and arrogant. Just saying...

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I was there when iPhone 2.0 on the 3G lagged like crazy. I was there when it took 10 seconds to open the contacts application. I was there when my 3G signal was so poor it was useless and I had to turn it off. Just saying.

Live in the boonies? I never had any of the issues you listed. However, if you don't want the iPhone then get another phone, no sence whining about it. Just saying.

I m definately buying a nexus 1
multi tasking
custimasation
flash player
fast processor
what else do I want
truely impressive :)

My iPhone:
multi tasking, check
cusomization, check
flash player, no check but not a huge deal for me.
fast processor, check
truely impressive, check

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
this is really embarrassing for apple actually... unless they get HTML5 rolling like tomorrow.

Funny that one of the major tools in use for creating html sites also belongs to Adobe. I wonder when Dreamweaver will get native HTML5 support? If Jobs is serious about a particular standard of HTML perhaps Apple will provide advanced iWeb HTML5 or similar. Hmm, probably not.

Chevenowner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
My iPhone:
multi tasking, check
cusomization, check
fast processor, check
truely impressive, check

Well not every 1 using iPhone will have the same check list :)
sad isinit ??

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
What I really don't get is Steve Jobs' comment that Flash drains battery life. Yeah ofcourse it does, but so does playing one of the graphically intense games that are by dozens available in the App Store. You use the phone - you use battery life, what's so weird about that. The battery life comment makes no sense to me at all :confused: .

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
What I really don't get is Steve Jobs' comment that Flash drains battery life. Yeah ofcourse it does, but so does playing one of the graphically intense games that are by dozens available in the App Store. You use the phone - you use battery life, what's so weird about that. The battery life comment makes no sense to me at all :confused: .

if you actually look closely at what he says, most of the time it makes no sense.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
according to Steve jobs flash would crash and wouldn't work properly on iPhone

If Adobe can't be bothered to develop a version of Flash that performs properly for the Mac, which has a much larger user base than the iPhone, WHY would they bother to do so for the iPhone?

Also... The average consumer has no idea what Flash is, and it would lead to more complaints like "Safari sucks, it's so slow and crashes all the time" even though it is not Safari but Adobe's craptastic Flash plugin. Apple would never allow this: they have these ridiculous restrictions on the device and the App Store because they are trying to keep the image of the device as something that "Just Works" (even though it doesn't, but there's other threads on that).

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Also... The average consumer has no idea what Flash is, and it would lead to more complaints like "Safari sucks, it's so slow and crashes all the time" even though it is not Safari but Adobe's craptastic Flash plugin. Apple would never allow this: they have these ridiculous restrictions on the device and the App Store because they are trying to keep the image of the device as something that "Just Works" (even though it doesn't, but there's other threads on that).

They may not understand what Flash is, but I'm sure they wonder why none of the videos on their favorite web site work properly.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
I m a proper apple fan boy and never gave nexus one a chance but to be honest the more I see videos about nexus one the more I like it
according to Steve jobs flash would crash and wouldn't work properly on iPhone
well it's working perfectly on android without any lag our any kind of crashing
You really can't compare the two of them,the Nexus has vastly superior hardware to the iPhone.:rolleyes:

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
My iPhone:
multi tasking, check
cusomization, check
fast processor, check
truely impressive, check

I'm assuming your phone is jailbroken? If not the customization part is kinda laughable (as is being stuck on the Pandora screen). If so, I agree a jailbroken phone has nearly all I want (Flash being a missing item unfortunately). I just hate having to count on it ever since the bootrom change.

Is this a beta or does the Nexus One really have official Flash now??? I can't open the video on this computer.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY

It could be rolled out today and it would be useless. Websites, programs and software have to be redesigned to adapt to HTML5. It's going to be a slow process until everything turns completely over to HTML5, until then Adobe Flash is king.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
I would quite like flash on my iphone but it really doesn't bother me much.

I will stick with iPhone as I think the overall experience is way better than anything else i've played with.

I also believe that Steve Jobs is fibbing somewhat about the negative aspects of flash on iPhone. Granted there will be some truth to his reasoning, but I think it is mostly down to his seemingly strong desire so see Flash die ASAP. Wether he's trying to improve the internet for all of us or just hates someone at Adobe I don't know.

Either way I love my iPhone with or without Flash.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
Flash 10.1 on the Droid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8wuJ129d0w

Flash on the Nexus One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWOocHwcLo

Both working flawlessly

And Adobe Air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBKEcVder7E

Demos of various Flash video and game sites on HTC HD2 and Nexus One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmgeA8YVC2U

Apple needs some serious catching up to do.

My iPhone:
multi tasking, check
Jailbreak?

cusomization, check
Jailbreak?
Jailbreaking is a poor excuse to enable the most simple features that dumbphones have and the iPhone "doesn't" PLUS not everyone jailbreaks :rolleyes: Don't forget to thank the hacking community and NOT Apple for being able to have multitasking and customization on your iPhone.

One usually doesn't make a big deal of what one does not have.

fast processor, check
Fast but the 1ghz snapdragon is here, faster and will allow a device to run more memory intensive programs like Flash 10.1

truely impressive, check

were glad you're impressed. I was impressed in 1997 but the same re tweaked OS is getting pretty boring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.