Flash on the iPhone, Adobe responds.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Oct 26, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

With all the speculation about it possibly coming to the iPhone, Flash has rapidly become one of the most desired features for iPhone owners. If you Google "iPhone Flash" you will get a whole score of results pertaining to the imminent release of Flash on the iPhone dating all the way back to 2007, yet here we are rounding out 2009 with Flash-less iPhones. The other day I was surfing some pages on my iPhone when I happened upon a link the download Flash, I knew it wouldn't work but I clicked anyway just to see what happens, surprisingly enough I was re-directed to this page:

[​IMG]

As you can see from the picture it seems pretty clear that the holdup is at Apple, and not Adobe. Is this another Apple planned holdup until they can achieve the implementation they desire, or can we expect to never see Flash on the iPhone? I guess only time will tell.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Think about it, if flash can max out cpu on a computer due to Adobe's inability to make it work well, how likely would Adobe make flash work well for iPhone?

3. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Here's a list of Flash supported devices. Even the Razr is supported, as a matter of fact it came pre-loaded.

4. TheDarxo macrumors newbie

I dunno, but I can of course only speculate

I believe that 4.0 will include several features that users have been requesting

Better app management (On the Phone), an option for multitasking (ie turn it on or off), notification area, better 'Slide to Unlock' screen and possibly Flash

5. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Have you watched Flash video on any of those little handsets? It's quite the experience.

6. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

But that just shows it can be implemented on the iPhone. I'm sure it would look much better on the iPhone, I for one would love to have access to Hulu.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you jailbreak, there are two apps for getting flash video in Safari

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would hardly call this a response from Adobe. I call this a kick to Apple for something both Apple and Adobe need to work on. It takes two.

9. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, but I for one prefer to keep my iPhone au' natural.

10. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Just because you can implement it doesn't mean it can be implemented well.

11. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I couldn't have said it better ... or wait, maybe I did.

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Yes and with the current state of Flash it most likely be any time soon either.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's been clear for a very long time.

That article was written 20 months ago. I could probably find stuff going even further back than that if I took the time.

I don't know that a web site that "confirms" 2 year old news is really that big a deal.

14. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Adobe didn't write Flash, they inherited it when they bought Macromedia just a few years ago.

It's great that they're rewriting it for handhelds, with ARM cpu/gpu makers' help.

Imagine when developers can write one app in Flash that runs on every phone... well, probably almost any... *cough not iPhone unless obtained through App Store cough*

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

That's Flash Lite, not true Flash. SonyEricsson uses Flash as part of their A2 (or A200) platform for their feature phones menu layout ... for their developers, SE calls it Capuchin (using Flash & Java).

Oh and this thread has a healthy arguement for & against both Flash/HTML5 on iPhone.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=799526

btw, iPhone's Safari already supports HTML5 in its current proposed features. Does anyone have GoogleWave account to test access on iPhone?!

17. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That is the main problem, in my opinion. I don't think Adobe has delivered a version of Flash that Apple is satisfied with (quality and performance). Flash Lite is so terrible that I didn't even use it when I had a different phone. Quality AND performance were lacking. Not even one or the other.

18. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I would much prefer a Hulu app (which I have heard they're working on) as opposed to Flash on the iPhone. There are too many annoying Flash ads on sites.

19. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, but I bet you that if they do make a Hulu app, all that will be available will be short clips, not entire episodes.

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

As much as I would like Flash, even if the iPhone ran perfect Flash tomorrow Hulu would have to block it - it hasn't been granted the licences to make it's content available to mobiles - http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090915/0430416199.shtml (or indeed pretty much any device save for a desktop PC or laptop).

Phazer

21. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Flash 10 (so not the lite version) can work on the iPhone without problems (so not low performance etc.). Even 'lower-end' phones are able to run it (Flash 10 uses much less energy and has a better performance).

All phones with Symbian, WebOS, Windows Mobile and Android will support Flash 10 later this year and begin next year.

22. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

This whole Flash argument reminds me of the argument over MMS...

-One group says they want it, get mad at Apple, etc
    -One group insists they don't care.
    -One group insists Flash SHOULDN'T be on the phone, Apple is 100% right, we don't need it, its crap, etc.

Then one day its finally available...

-All 3 groups celebrate its arrival. :)

If Apple wants to have the full PC experience on their phone, which they obviously have stated they do, then they need Flash to work on the phone. Whether Adobe can't get it to work well or Apple is being picky is all speculation.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

FWIW, I was in the "don't care" group for MMS (as I am for flash) and haven't used it once. To the degree it's slowing down AT&T's network, I wish we still didn't have it.

25. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Anyone think that this may be why Apple doesn't want flash? Developers could build and distribute flash apps without going through the App Store. And we know how Apple gets about that App Store. ;)

It's official... Flash is the new MMS. :p

I for one... Don't care. Most pages have flash free versions of their sites as well or Mobile versions. I like what iMobileCinema is trying to do. Make a Flash Video player. So you see the window for the video and you can touch it and it starts playing. Avoids the nasty flash banner ads and such. :D