Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demuro1

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
I'm kind of an idiot about this stuff but by flash do you mean the ability to view flash animations and flash apps on web pages????

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm kind of an idiot about this stuff but by flash do you mean the ability to view flash animations and flash apps on web pages????

Exactly. Adobe Flash. I'm actually surprised no one is really commenting on this. I thought using flash was a big deal for a lot of folks.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Exactly. Adobe Flash. I'm actually surprised no one is really commenting on this. I thought using flash was a big deal for a lot of folks.

I get peeved enough with Flash on my main computers. I think it's a refreshing thing to not have to see flash adverts all over the place. In my view it really isn't necessary in a mobile phone. If you want flash support, go back to your full size computer. It's not worth it on the tiny screen.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I thought using flash was a big deal for a lot of folks.
not for those of us that use things like Flashblock :) i'd be happy if Flash never made it's way to the iPhone. i personally have no use whatsoever for Flash. the only sites i regularly go to that use Flash, do so for navigation menus, which i'm convincing them they can get the same effects with DHTML/CSS tricks.

if it's working though, good news for all those that were hoping for it.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
I also enjoy the lack of flash on the Iphone. One visit to newsok.com should have you convinced that most flash sites are poorly executed.

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque
I get peeved enough with Flash on my main computers. I think it's a refreshing thing to not have to see flash adverts all over the place. In my view it really isn't necessary in a mobile phone. If you want flash support, go back to your full size computer. It's not worth it on the tiny screen.

I agree with you about flash ads, but sometimes flash is absolutely necessary (especially on my fantasy football website). :)

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I would agree with you guys, Flash is something I don't really miss. The only exception is maybe Myspace. I like to listen to a lot of music from the bands pages, and it's all Flash based.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Well, call me crazy, but i want Flash support on my iPhone. Of course, there must be an option to disable it, too (keep page rendering over EDGE as quick as possible).

Just my 2 cents...

--DotComCTO

...from my iPhone

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Desktop Tower Defense is Flash only! :(

Bring Flash to my iPhone any day now apple!

atavision

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Flash can be annoying sometimes, but without it viewing TV shows or many News/Info videos is impossible. I've been asking around this blog (to no avail) for anyone that knows a way to view TV on the iPhone without Flash.
Anybody?
Just give us Flash with the ability to shut it off as we see fit.

Kalinatek

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2005
its true that flash isnt a big deal on the iPhone but the problem is that there are some websites that only run on flash...any solutions?

teknomo

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
Why Flash is cool!

That guy who said he doesn't want flash on his iphone obviously uses Windows way too much. Flash is the most coveted thing on the iphone because it turns your browser into your computers browser, minus all the extra space. You can watch youtube, visit your favorite tv shows on hulu, watch adult movies and so much more! Why wouldn't you want flash on any device that can connect to the internet? Myspace is almost all flash as well as a number of sites these days!

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
The lack of Flash locks people out of a lot of online media.

This is a. Bad. Thing.

Phazer

Flash. Ads. Are. A. Bad. Thing.

If it has to be on all the time or no Flash then I choose no Flash. I run Flashblock, Adblock Plus, and a hosts file block on my router just to browse on a computer. The iPhone is bad enough already. Don't make it worse with Flash Ads.

randy55

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
I definitely want Flash support on my iPhone as well as a setting to turn it off if I don't want it active. That way it is there if you want it and you can turn it off if you don't want it. Just to say don't put it on because a few people don't want it makes no sense to a mass market.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
How about if you not tell me what to do with my phone? You don't want to use flash? DON'T USE IT. Wow, how hard is that? Lookie there, a little willpower and common sense and we can ALL be happy.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
How about if you not tell me what to do with my phone? You don't want to use flash? DON'T USE IT. Wow, how hard is that? Lookie there, a little willpower and common sense and we can ALL be happy.

I'm not telling you what to do with your phone.

Flash is a crappy technology, but if you want to use it you're perfectly welcome to. ( Unless you're blind, of course, since Flash has no screenreader support. ;) )

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008

That's not how it works newbie. See, the problem is that if Flash gets dumped onto the iPhone we're all going to have to deal with the space it takes up, with the security holes it creates, and with the battery sucking piss ass performance it's sure to execute.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
I'd love to have flash on my phone, but I have a feeling it would kill a fair portion of the app store.

That is actually probably true. Apple may have been holding Flash back just because there are so many Flash games and whatever else out there. Nobody would use the App Store anymore :p

Although, if there was Flash, there should be an option to turn it on and off. It would seem like a better decision that way (I'm sure Flash would kill battery life too).

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That's not how it works newbie. See, the problem is that if Flash gets dumped onto the iPhone we're all going to have to deal with the space it takes up, with the security holes it creates, and with the battery sucking piss ass performance it's sure to execute.

I'm pretty sure there will be a "disable flash" option, or if not then flash will be disabled when you use "disable plugins"

You won't have to put up with anything..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.