Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielaaron94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Washington
I recently attempted to update my MP 1,1 to 10.11.6 from 10.11.4 and now the system ONLY restarts into recovery mode. Upon clicking update, there were no security updates in the App Store queue.

Here are some symptoms: when choosing my main and only El Capitan SSD, the grey apply screen pops up, loads to about 25%, THEN screen flashes to a NEW grey apply logo (though same appearance), loads to about 5% only, and then comes the utilities screen.

From this screen I attempted to reinstall OS X 10.11 again, however after signing in I get the message “item temporarily not available, try again later”

I tried safe mode, resetting NVRAM, resetting date and time in terminal, and reinstalling pikers Boot.efi through my snowloapard boot HDD.

Same issue not matter what. Please help

X2 5150s
16gb RAM
Apple 5870

UPDATE: it seems that the boot volume for my El Capitan drive is somehow not being detected. I don’t know how this has changed since the update. I deleted the recovery partition and now all I get on the screen is a flashing folder with a question mark in it. Shortcut to boot drive still exists in volumes folder

Last edited:

danielaaron94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Washington
When you boot holding down the option key, what volumes are you seeing?

Alex, when holding down option at start, I see the correct boot volume, there is only one now unless I plug in my snow leopard HDD in which case both volumes show. When selecting my El Capitan valume, I only get the question mark. I’m thinking maybe the update wiped out all the KEXTS installed with the pikify app. I used this app to install 10.11.4 in the first place ..

danielaaron94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Washington
Sounds like the update broke it. Can you boot into recovery mode and run disk utility to see if it can fix it?
Since it only boots into recovery mode, I ran first aid on the disk and it does nothing, just a green check mark. Is also will not allow me to reinstall the os, saying “item temporirily unavailable.”

I suppose I can just do a fresh reinstall of El Capitan, however this means I’ll be forever stuck at 10.11.4. I’d rather figure out the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.