Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realbuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Hi Guys

I really need you help

So this is my card : Sapphire R9 270X Toxic (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2465/sapphire-toxic-r9-270x-oc)

I tried to flash it to have the EFi working in my MAC Pro

So I put the card in the mac pro booted Windows 10, I extracted the original BIOS and the Device ID using ATi Winflash (see deviceid.png)

I erased a usb key, downloaded the bundle from netkas forum (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html)
extracted it to the usb key, copied the original SapphireR9270XToxic.rom I saved from ATi Winflash to the key.

Then I went to my mybook pro inserted the key and executed the script
./makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader.rom --originalrom=SapphireR9270XToxic.rom --devid=6810
this generated the SapphireR9270XToxic.rom.efi.rom without any error

So i took the usb key back to my pc and flashed my card using ATI Winflash with the SapphireR9270XToxic.rom.efi.rom

I included the original rom and the generated rom in SapphireR9270XToxicroms.zip

Apparently EFI is working well , I can press the alt key and I have the boot menu on my mac pro

Problems:
If I boot Mac OS X (Sierra):
-I've got only 1 screen working out of 2 (both screens are on DVI port)
-The card is recognized as a ATI 7950 with 2Gb of RAM
-Mouse pointer is laggy
So it's partially working

If I boot windows 10
Windows start booting, I can see the windows logo and the cricle tunring and after fews seconds both screens are going to sleep mode
No way to use it in windows

Can I have some help please???

Attachments

• deviceid.PNG
    deviceid.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,185
  • SapphireR9270XToxicroms.zip
    192.6 KB · Views: 585

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
There's no perfect solution for your card. I've posted a few modified EFI's to the "Radeon Port Mapping" thread @ netkas.org.

One of them should should inject the Futomaki framebuffer instead of Hamachi. Both of them won't fit your card's port layout perfectly though.
Additionally you should find a EFI which doesn't inject any valid framebuffer personality, so the driver will use the default "RadeonFramebuffer". This should enable all ports in macOS. Your GPU will be recognized as "HD 7xxx", just like a unflashed one.

Better solutions would require patching the AMD7000Controller.kext (and repeating the patches after each and every system update). Not worth the trouble IMO.

realbuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
There's no perfect solution for your card. I've posted a few modified EFI's to the "Radeon Port Mapping" thread @ netkas.org.

One of them should should inject the Futomaki framebuffer instead of Hamachi. Both of them won't fit your card's port layout perfectly though.
Additionally you should find a EFI which doesn't inject any valid framebuffer personality, so the driver will use the default "RadeonFramebuffer". This should enable all ports in macOS. Your GPU will be recognized as "HD 7xxx", just like a unflashed one.

Better solutions would require patching the AMD7000Controller.kext (and repeating the patches after each and every system update). Not worth the trouble IMO.

Hi Florian

Thanks for your answer
Where should I find the EFI which does not inject a frambuffer personality ??

And Why my card is not working at all in windows ??

Cheers

Christian

realbuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017

Hi Fl0r!an

I went accross the port maping thread @ netkas.org
You made an impressive job with all these moded EFI
I understand better what you mean now
may be you could have a look at my original rom and advise me the best EFI file for my card
In addition to that do you have an idea for the windows problem ?

Cheers

Christian

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi Florian

Thanks for your answer
Where should I find the EFI which does not inject a frambuffer personality ??

And Why my card is not working at all in windows ??

Cheers

Christian

Windows AMD driver is not working that well with Mac EFI. No idea why, don't know the actual limitation at this moment. But in my own experience. Boot from PC VBIOS always work flawlessly. Boot from Mac EFI ROM, it occasionally very lag at the login screen (really cause more than a minute to respond). But this only occasionally happen when I restart the machine. For a cold boot, it's always OK.

Another limitation is if enable crossfire, boot from Mac EFI ROM will cause BSOD.

Since the EFI is really not for your card. I can imagine it's not prefect. e.g. RAM type mismatch. At least, RAM size is not right for you.

Since it looks like your card has dual ROM design. In your case, I suggest that you boot from the PC BIOS for normal use. And only boot from the EFI ROM in case you need to do something like firmware flash, or single user mode, etc.

realbuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Windows AMD driver is not working that well with Mac EFI. No idea why, don't know the actual limitation at this moment. But in my own experience. Boot from PC VBIOS always work flawlessly. Boot from Mac EFI ROM, it occasionally very lag at the login screen (really cause more than a minute to respond). But this only occasionally happen when I restart the machine. For a cold boot, it's always OK.

Another limitation is if enable crossfire, boot from Mac EFI ROM will cause BSOD.

Since the EFI is really not for your card. I can imagine it's not prefect. e.g. RAM type mismatch. At least, RAM size is not right for you.

Since it looks like your card has dual ROM design. In your case, I suggest that you boot from the PC BIOS for normal use. And only boot from the EFI ROM in case you need to do something like firmware flash, or single user mode, etc.

Hi h9826790

Dual Rom design? are you sure ?
And how can I select the Rom i want to start with ?
Cheers

Christian

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
I'd try using the RFB.efi attached to this post: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,10827.msg31196.html#msg31196

It should behave like this:

Not sure about your Windows issue, usually the Mac EFI should cause any trouble, since the VBIOS portion stays the same. Maybe Windows is trying to boot in UEFI mode now? Never installed W10 on my Mac Pro, don't know if it behaves different than previous releases.

I'd suggest flushing your PRAM and removing/reinstalling the graphics driver in W10.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I have a "made in Japan R9 270X " Link http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/product/graphics_bord/amd/rd-r9-270x-e2gb_oc/

I successfully EFI flashed it with the Netkas script.

I have absolutely no problems in either Mavericks 10.9.5 Sierra 10.12.6 or Win7 using two monitors.

I use a Display Port to HDMI adaptor for the 2nd. monitor.

Cheers

PS : I also recommend that if you have the original driver install DVD that came with the card. . install THAT driver for Windows ( if Win 10 will let you ) and then let Catalyst play with it in your next Win 10 boot . .might work.

Last edited:

realbuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
I'd try using the RFB.efi attached to this post: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,10827.msg31196.html#msg31196

It should behave like this:

Not sure about your Windows issue, usually the Mac EFI should cause any trouble, since the VBIOS portion stays the same. Maybe Windows is trying to boot in UEFI mode now? Never installed W10 on my Mac Pro, don't know if it behaves different than previous releases.

I'd suggest flushing your PRAM and removing/reinstalling the graphics driver in W10.

Hi Fl0r!an

I tried to generate a new rom using netkas script with the RFB.EFI, it does not work I've no bootscreen at all
[doublepost=1502304812][/doublepost]
This should be the ROM switch. You can check your manual, or simply try press it and see if it will boot from another ROM.

View attachment 712272

Hi Yes , tested and working
I put the mac rom when switch is off and the original UEFI Bios when it's on
So when it's on Windows Work perfectly and When it's off it is for the mac boot
So know I've to concentrate to have a working mac rom
[doublepost=1502306284][/doublepost]
I have a "made in Japan R9 270X " Link http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/product/graphics_bord/amd/rd-r9-270x-e2gb_oc/

I successfully EFI flashed it with the Netkas script.

I have absolutely no problems in eitehr Mavericks 10.9.5 Sierra 10.12.6 or Win7 using two monitors.

I use a Display Port to HDMI adaptor for the 2nd. monitor.

You can see all the info / pics at the link below.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=129t4km0d8luq5nhl252fohv75mkbk93&topic=5619.msg37177#new
Post #630

PM me if you want to try my ROM.

Cheers

PS : I also recommend that if you have the original driver install DVD that came with the card. . install THAT driver for Windows ( if Win 10 will let you ) and then let Catalyst play with it in your next Win 10 boot . .might work.

Hi MIKX
Yes ca you please send me the rom and the efi you used to generate your rom
Cheers

Christian

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Christian

The "efi " and the "ROM" end up as a single "EFIrom.rom".

If you really want the rom . . PM me.

PM me.

Last edited:

yuzgen

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2018
Sorry, but had to necro this thread, because it's important for AMD Sapphire Dual X 270x owners.

After researching for long hours, I asked MIKX for his ROM. He sent it to me very quickly. Many thanks again. Here's the report I sent back to him. I hope this info will be useful for some.

"No pic from any port on pc after force flashing your rom, because of the mismatch error

Only lower dvi giving strange picture on mac pro and then a fan ramp up and a reboot loop.

Back to the original rom on pc using igpu of the cpu.

I'll try going through netkas' instructions and see if i can make this card work.

Maybe this will help someone some time. Not every 270x are the same, even if their ports look identical. Maybe ram type (mine uses 2 gb elpida), maybe something else, dunno.

Thank you very much again."

Christian

The "efi " and the "ROM" end up as a single "EFIrom.rom".

If you really want the rom . . PM me.

PM me.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
My ( now non-existent ) R9270X is /was sold by an "El Cheapo " Japanese company.
Poor quality workmanship but cheap.

I would not buy any of their products again.

I forget now but you should check the "Product I.D." I think it is 679a and use that in the Netkas script.

Try this in the netkas script ( use the 7950macefi )

/makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader_7950.rom --originalrom=cardname.rom --devid=679a

4988755013253-PT05-rd-r9-270x-e2gb_oc.jpg

Last edited:

yuzgen

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2018
BOOM! We now have a flashable 270x PC GPU, with all the ports working. Funny thing is, Fl0r!an gave the pro tip about a year ago, but the OP either failed or didn't give proper feedback.

I personally prefer R9 270X over an HD 7950 any day, because it's newer, gives exactly the same performance, needs less power and is a chip used in actual Mac Pro 2013 devices.

I will start a new thread, giving credit to Fl0r!an, MIKX and netkas. This deserves its own thread and proper, newbie friendly explanation.

My ( now non-existent ) R9270X is /was sold by an "El Cheapo " Japanese company.

I forget now but you should check the "Product I.D." I think it is 679a and use that in the Netkas script.

/makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader_7950.rom --originalrom=cardname.rom --devid=679a

View attachment 774232

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
My IceQ HIS HD7950 has by far the best cooling solution I have come across . . plus . . 3 gb DDR5 ram . . and .. it only takes up one PCIe slot :p

The HIS 7970 takes up two PCIe slots . . I'm looking at ways to get around that. My brother-in-law has a CNC engineering factory. Half hobby, half serious we're currently designing a low height, full length copper heatsink with a socket for a fan for the Sapphire 7970 with the target being . .ONE PCIe slot taken up.

No one takes away one of my PCIe slots ! :cool:

yuzgen

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2018
Interesting project, but it's not worth the trouble. 7950 and 7970 are akin cards. Smaller heatsink and stronger card means noise. Don't forget to cool VRM's properly, or you'll be in trouble.

Consider an Asus GTX 680 with a reference cooler. I had one. I set my 680's idle fan speed to slower than default and wrote Apple EFI on it, then it became super quiet.

I got this 270X by trading a 2009 Mac Mini. Dual X 270X is also super quiet when idling, quiter than 5770, 5870, 7870XT, R9 390, GTX 680, GTX 1060, GTX 1070 cards during Valley benchmark. I can easily say it's the quitest card I have seen in a Mac Pro during a benchmark.

My IceQ HIS HD7950 has by far the best cooling solution I have come across . . plus . . 3 gb DDR5 ram . . and .. it only takes up one PCIe slot :p

The HIS 7970 takes up two PCIe slots . . I'm looking at ways to get around that. My brother-in-law has a CNC engineering factory. Half hobby, half serious we're currently designing a low height, full length copper heatsink with a socket for a fan for the Sapphire 7970 with the target being . .ONE PCIe slot taken up.

mark01975

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
italy
Hello everyone,
... and sorry for my english.

I'm new and I don't understand what I have to do to flash my Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Dual-X OC

... can someone help me? thanks a lot to everyone!!!

mark01975

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
italy
hi MIKX, i can't find the efiromheader_7950.rom, i read that is in a netkas bundle2, but i can't find that, can you help me please?

View attachment 774232

torrentjay

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
I have a Saphirre Vapor-X R9 270X 2Go but I do not know anything about flashing

but i saw a tutorial on youtube with R9 280X

Where can I find the rom for mac please? Do you have a download link?

torrentjay

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
[QUOTE = "mark01975, post: 26701087, member: 1149163"] Essayez de demander directement à Mikx ;)[/ QUOTE]
thx i will ask him i don't know him again
[doublepost=1540498115][/doublepost]

Hello MIKX
I have a Saphirre Vapor-X R9 270X 2Go but I do not know anything about flashing

but i saw a tutorial on youtube with R9 280X

Where can I find the rom for mac please? Do you have a download link?
my mac pro is 5,1 with 138.0.0.0.0 BOOTROM on 10.13.6

I'm looking for too for Saphirre Vapor-X HD5770 1Go on 10.11.6

xbomber2002

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2019
Sorry to revival this old thread but i jus bought a Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Dual-X for my Mac Pro 5,1 (E271 CURACAO XT GDDR5 64Mx32 2GB 150e/150m, DevID: 0x6810) and i need to flash it for mac EFI boot. By using the default bundle from netkas and following his guide, i partially succeed. Although EFI is working and the boot menu is showing by pressing the alt key, i cannot go further than that. If i boot Mojave or catalina (apfs partition) i get a black screen in the last stage when the OS try to load the graphic extension. Also only one DVI port is working...
So If MIKX or someone other can PM me a working modified ROM or at least the "efiromheader_7950.rom" from the "upgraded" netkas bundle2. No way to find it in the net. Thanks in advance.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
Please try first w/ vanilla bios.
In my opinion, the card is no good choice, because it has a complete different connector-layout and the newer "Curacao"-gpu instead "Tahiti" of the mac-version.
No fitting framebuffer exists for this card, you better use it as pc-card or w/ the "no-inject"-EFI, which provide bootscreens to one or a few connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.