Flashing a Sapphire R9 270X

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by realbuzz, Aug 9, 2017.

1. realbuzz macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I really need you help

So this is my card : Sapphire R9 270X Toxic (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2465/sapphire-toxic-r9-270x-oc)

I tried to flash it to have the EFi working in my MAC Pro

So I put the card in the mac pro booted Windows 10, I extracted the original BIOS and the Device ID using ATi Winflash (see deviceid.png)

I erased a usb key, downloaded the bundle from netkas forum (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html)
    extracted it to the usb key, copied the original SapphireR9270XToxic.rom I saved from ATi Winflash to the key.

Then I went to my mybook pro inserted the key and executed the script
    ./makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader.rom --originalrom=SapphireR9270XToxic.rom --devid=6810
    this generated the SapphireR9270XToxic.rom.efi.rom without any error

So i took the usb key back to my pc and flashed my card using ATI Winflash with the SapphireR9270XToxic.rom.efi.rom

I included the original rom and the generated rom in SapphireR9270XToxicroms.zip

Apparently EFI is working well , I can press the alt key and I have the boot menu on my mac pro

Problems:
    If I boot Mac OS X (Sierra):
    -I've got only 1 screen working out of 2 (both screens are on DVI port)
    -The card is recognized as a ATI 7950 with 2Gb of RAM
    -Mouse pointer is laggy
    So it's partially working

If I boot windows 10
    Windows start booting, I can see the windows logo and the cricle tunring and after fews seconds both screens are going to sleep mode
    No way to use it in windows

Can I have some help please???

Attached Files:

2. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

There's no perfect solution for your card. I've posted a few modified EFI's to the "Radeon Port Mapping" thread @ netkas.org.

One of them should should inject the Futomaki framebuffer instead of Hamachi. Both of them won't fit your card's port layout perfectly though.
    Additionally you should find a EFI which doesn't inject any valid framebuffer personality, so the driver will use the default "RadeonFramebuffer". This should enable all ports in macOS. Your GPU will be recognized as "HD 7xxx", just like a unflashed one.

Better solutions would require patching the AMD7000Controller.kext (and repeating the patches after each and every system update). Not worth the trouble IMO.

3. realbuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Florian

Thanks for your answer
    Where should I find the EFI which does not inject a frambuffer personality ??

And Why my card is not working at all in windows ??

Cheers

Christian

4. realbuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Fl0r!an

I went accross the port maping thread @ netkas.org
    You made an impressive job with all these moded EFI
    I understand better what you mean now
    may be you could have a look at my original rom and advise me the best EFI file for my card
    In addition to that do you have an idea for the windows problem ?

Cheers

Christian

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Windows AMD driver is not working that well with Mac EFI. No idea why, don't know the actual limitation at this moment. But in my own experience. Boot from PC VBIOS always work flawlessly. Boot from Mac EFI ROM, it occasionally very lag at the login screen (really cause more than a minute to respond). But this only occasionally happen when I restart the machine. For a cold boot, it's always OK.

Another limitation is if enable crossfire, boot from Mac EFI ROM will cause BSOD.

Since the EFI is really not for your card. I can imagine it's not prefect. e.g. RAM type mismatch. At least, RAM size is not right for you.

Since it looks like your card has dual ROM design. In your case, I suggest that you boot from the PC BIOS for normal use. And only boot from the EFI ROM in case you need to do something like firmware flash, or single user mode, etc.

6. realbuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi h9826790

Dual Rom design? are you sure ?
    And how can I select the Rom i want to start with ?
    Cheers

Christian

7. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

This should be the ROM switch. You can check your manual, or simply try press it and see if it will boot from another ROM.

sapp-ins2.jpg

8. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

I'd try using the RFB.efi attached to this post: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,10827.msg31196.html#msg31196

It should behave like this:
    Not sure about your Windows issue, usually the Mac EFI should cause any trouble, since the VBIOS portion stays the same. Maybe Windows is trying to boot in UEFI mode now? Never installed W10 on my Mac Pro, don't know if it behaves different than previous releases.

I'd suggest flushing your PRAM and removing/reinstalling the graphics driver in W10.

9. MIKX macrumors regular

MIKX

I have a "made in Japan R9 270X " Link http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/product/graphics_bord/amd/rd-r9-270x-e2gb_oc/

I successfully EFI flashed it with the Netkas script.

I have absolutely no problems in eitehr Mavericks 10.9.5 Sierra 10.12.6 or Win7 using two monitors.

I use a Display Port to HDMI adaptor for the 2nd. monitor.

You can see all the info / pics at the link below.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=129t4km0d8luq5nhl252fohv75mkbk93&topic=5619.msg37177#new
    Post #630

PM me if you want to try my ROM.

Cheers

PS : I also recommend that if you have the original driver install DVD that came with the card. . install THAT driver for Windows ( if Win 10 will let you ) and then let Catalyst play with it in your next Win 10 boot . .might work.

10. realbuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Fl0r!an

I tried to generate a new rom using netkas script with the RFB.EFI, it does not work I've no bootscreen at all
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    Hi Yes , tested and working
    I put the mac rom when switch is off and the original UEFI Bios when it's on
    So when it's on Windows Work perfectly and When it's off it is for the mac boot
    So know I've to concentrate to have a working mac rom
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    Hi MIKX
    Yes ca you please send me the rom and the efi you used to generate your rom
    Cheers

Christian

11. MIKX, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

MIKX macrumors regular

MIKX

Christian

The "efi " and the "ROM" end up as a single "EFIrom.rom".

If you really want the rom . . PM me.

PM me.