Flashing folder with question mark, need more troubleshooting ideas please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lorkp, Jun 3, 2009.

1. lorkp macrumors member

I am getting the flashing mac folder with the question mark when trying to boot up. It started the reboot after I (unsuccessfully) tried to remove iTunes 8.2 so I could go back to 8.1. I was following some instructions from another site, but interpreted the code to be segmented and not to be entered as one large command. So I entered this into terminal while iTunes was still running.

"sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app /System/Library"

I think the system was hanging, so rebooted the computer and that's when this started.

I can't enter single user mode, diskwarrior has rebuilt the directory successfully, but no luck. Any other ideas?

I'm on a 12" Powerbook 1.5GHz with 1.25 GB RAM, Leopard 10.5.7.

Thank you

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, that was a bloody stupid thing to do, wasn't it?
    Lesson number 1: Don't use sudo unless you know what you are doing. It will byte you.
    Lesson number 2: Use Time Machine to backup your hard drive.

Take your installer DVD and reinstall the operating system, since you just stupidly removed about half of it from your hard drive.

3. lorkp thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It was a very stupid thing to do. I'm seeing now that I essentially deleted my system folder, right? I'd there anything I can do to fix the system? I dot have the restore discs or a leopard disc on hand at the moment.