Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's a shame, but which ones can I flash? only 280x?
Only works with Tahiti GPUs, HD 7950/7970/R9-280/R9-280x.

You can use the HD 7950 Mac EFI with some HD 7850/7870/R9-270/R9-270X based with Pitcairn/Curacao GPUs, but up to High Sierra and you will almost certainly lose some output ports, usually HDMI.

blmamba

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Moscow
Only works with Tahiti GPUs, HD 7950/7970/R9-280/R9-280x.

You can use the HD 7950 Mac EFI with some HD 7850/7870/R9-270/R9-270X based with Pitcairn/Curacao GPUs, but up to High Sierra and you will almost certainly lose some output ports, usually HDMI.

Clearly, is there still gtx 780 you can flash? I still have the original 5770, but I have 4k for this, it’s worth R9 285 but there is, as I said, the 780 GTX

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Clearly, is there still gtx 780 you can flash? I still have the original 5770, but I have 4k for this, it’s worth R9 285 but there is, as I said, the 780 GTX
AFAIK only the initial release of GTX 780, model A, is self flash-able with GTX 680 Mac EFI. This version is impossible to find nowadays.

MVC can flash GTX 780.

phoenix.factory

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
Switzerland
Hi gents,
I'm struggling with a Gigabyte r9 280 (non X) version. AFAIK, the 280 is supposed to be a rebranded 7950, although none of my attempts have been successful. Does anyone has experience with this card? GV-R928WF3OC-3GD

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi gents,
I'm struggling with a Gigabyte r9 280 (non X) version. AFAIK, the 280 is supposed to be a rebranded 7950, although none of my attempts have been successful. Does anyone has experience with this card? GV-R928WF3OC-3GD

Did you create the ROM correctly? You should use device ID 679a, but not 6798

Since you said nothing about what you did. There is no way for us to tell what’s wrong.

Reactions: MIKX

KrrKrr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
Hello everybody...

just a quick question to be sure I've read properly the last posts:
RX 580 (any model) can't be flashed for the bootscreen ?
but the R9 380 can ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello everybody...

just a quick question to be sure I've read properly the last posts:
RX 580 (any model) can't be flashed for the bootscreen ?
but the R9 380 can ?
R9-280 and R9-280X is the newest AMD GPU that have a public EFI ROM. R9-380 can't be flashed, no one developed a ROM for it.

RX 580 can't be flashed by ourselves, the EFI ROM is not public or free. You can send it to be flashed by MVC or buy one already flashed.

Reactions: h9826790

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
btw, afaik there is no 4k bootscreen support with 280x‘es.

Ooof... I wish I took note of this earlier, as something completely unexpected occurred with my new 4K monitor and Club 3D R9 280x: would not fully boot at all with just the Club card and AOC 32" 4K (3840x2160) Monitor, model AOC U3277PWQU. It WILL boot along with another GPU (e.g. GT120) hooked up to a non-4K monitor with both monitors functioning just fine after boot. BTW, I only tried the DisplayPort and HDMI ports of the Club card; didn't attempt to boot 4K using its DVI port.

An odd issue arose, however, after the initial attempt of booting just the Club 280 and the 4K: the Club 280 would no longer show the boot screen at all, even when hooking up to the original Apple 23" Cinema via DVI. I had to reflash the card to restore the boot screen and boot picker (luckily I kept a copy of the original FW when I flashed it the first time).

My flashed 7970 didn't suffer that fate to its functioning when I tried booting it to the 4K monitor. Thankfully, it does boot with the 4K AOC via any of its ports, however only via DVI will it show the boot screen/picker; not through either DP ports or HDMI.

Luckily, since I have two cMP's with one attached to an Apple 30" Cinema Display, I have since swapped the Club 280 to the 30" Cinema/DVI and the 7970 to the AOC 32" 4K/DVI. All is in harmony again with the world...

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
In my quest to get a suitable video card for my Mac Pro 5,1 I have acquired a Sapphire Radeon HD7950 "Boost" 3GB that is intended for use in a PC. While it does not display a boot screen, it does boot into Mojave without issue. The problem I'm running into is that OS X recognizes the card as an "AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3GB". This causes some games to fail a compatibility check and refuse to run. Games without strict checks will run, but others (notably Deus Ex: Mankind Divided) will not.

I've found a few publicly available ROMs for the HD 7950 Mac Edition. Can I simply fire up Windows and use ATIFlash to flash the card with one of these ROMs (unverified files from TechPowerUp)? Or is this a recipe for disaster?

As long as I'm wishing, I'd also like to get HDMI audio output...

SysProperties.jpg

EDIT: I've already dumped the ROM in Windows and it's 128kb. However, this card's ports do not match the Mac Edition. The Mac Edition has 2xMiniDP, 1xHDMI and 1xDVI, whereas this Windows card has 2xDVI, 1xDP and 1xHDMI. Is that going to be a problem?

Last edited:

Mokuskamer

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
HI ,

I have a Sappjire R9 280 Card and i want to mod my bios via the netkas script but everytime i start the script, it say "Permission denied". Is there somebody who would run the script for me??
I attach my Original BIOS.
Thanx in advance!!

Attachments

• R9280.zip
    40.3 KB · Views: 150

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I finally got this working, but not through my own efforts. I tried multiple times to get netkas' script to work, but could never get to a point where boot screens to worked. Finally I tried flashing BIOSes that other people had made from my same card, and after a couple of attempts I had partial success. My particular model has a non-reference port layout (2xDVI, 1xDP, 1xHDMI) which apparently complicates matters. As it stands, my 7950 now works find over DVI, but has problems with the HDMI port. But since I have a couple of DVI monitors, I'm more or less happy.

anendlessches

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2015
Norway
Hi, I have been trying and trying and trying to flash a Sapphire Tri-X Radeon R9 280X with EFI, but I cannot get it to work. I made 9 ROMs and none of them worked. Most of them just gave me a blue screen that said "Your PC needs to be repaired" when trying to boot Win10 on my 5,1 while a few of them gave me a reboot loop or just booted up like normal without a boot screen. I also tried to flash a few ROMs made for different cards, just to have tried everything, but that obviously did not work either.

I tried copying the EFI (everything from 65536 and to the end) from a ROM with EFI in a hex editor, tried the Netkas rom maker app, the netkas rom maker script 2 different ways. Nothing works.

Could someone possibly help me to get this card working with EFI? I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I have attached the original ROM from the card and one of the EFI ROMs I made that did not work.

Attachments

• MACR9280X3.rom.zip
    89.4 KB · Views: 107
  • PCR9280X-IN.rom.zip
    98.6 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: theoamoretti

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Hi, I have been trying and trying and trying to flash a Sapphire Tri-X Radeon R9 280X with EFI, but I cannot get it to work. I made 9 ROMs and none of them worked. Most of them just gave me a blue screen that said "Your PC needs to be repaired" when trying to boot Win10 on my 5,1 while a few of them gave me a reboot loop or just booted up like normal without a boot screen. I also tried to flash a few ROMs made for different cards, just to have tried everything, but that obviously did not work either.

I tried copying the EFI (everything from 65536 and to the end) from a ROM with EFI in a hex editor, tried the Netkas rom maker app, the netkas rom maker script 2 different ways. Nothing works.

Could someone possibly help me to get this card working with EFI? I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I have attached the original ROM from the card and one of the EFI ROMs I made that did not work.

did you check the uefi ?
[automerge]1581417730[/automerge]
HI ,

I have a Sappjire R9 280 Card and i want to mod my bios via the netkas script but everytime i start the script, it say "Permission denied". Is there somebody who would run the script for me??
I attach my Original BIOS.
Thanx in advance!!
did you try to remove protection on the card first?
[automerge]1581417992[/automerge]
In my quest to get a suitable video card for my Mac Pro 5,1 I have acquired a Sapphire Radeon HD7950 "Boost" 3GB that is intended for use in a PC. While it does not display a boot screen, it does boot into Mojave without issue. The problem I'm running into is that OS X recognizes the card as an "AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3GB". This causes some games to fail a compatibility check and refuse to run. Games without strict checks will run, but others (notably Deus Ex: Mankind Divided) will not.

I've found a few publicly available ROMs for the HD 7950 Mac Edition. Can I simply fire up Windows and use ATIFlash to flash the card with one of these ROMs (unverified files from TechPowerUp)? Or is this a recipe for disaster?

As long as I'm wishing, I'd also like to get HDMI audio output...

View attachment 878758

EDIT: I've already dumped the ROM in Windows and it's 128kb. However, this card's ports do not match the Mac Edition. The Mac Edition has 2xMiniDP, 1xHDMI and 1xDVI, whereas this Windows card has 2xDVI, 1xDP and 1xHDMI. Is that going to be a problem?
you can use netkas script, by using gpuz you grap the rom of your card first, the others' rom wont work properly on your card, then use netkas script under windows, dont forget to install java and pethon before make new rom, you need to make your own rom to flash your card

Last edited:

ryderpat

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
Hai bro..

my 3.1 run Mojave 14.4.6 patch from dosdude...
and msi R9 280x flashed mac efi.rom get metal support ..

everything look good....but Im get OpebCL bandwidth only 61 fps
it that normal...?????

it no full graphics acceleration ..?
.....am I miss something ..?

OpebCL Oceanwave 61.7 fps.png

R9 280x Metal Support.jpg

System Info.png

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hai bro..

my 3.1 run Mojave 14.4.6 patch from dosdude...
and msi R9 280x flashed mac efi.rom get metal support ..

everything look good....but Im get OpebCL bandwidth only 61 fps
it that normal...?????

it no full graphics acceleration ..?
.....am I miss something ..?

View attachment 902339
View attachment 902340
View attachment 902338
Your card is fine.

You use the wrong benchmark. Your card is too strong for that, and will able to deliver way over 60 FPS. However, the v-sync limited the FPS to 60. That's why you have that 61.7.

I just made a short video to illustrate how this OceanWave benchmark affected by v-sync.
[P.S. My monitor has 144Hz refresh rate, that's why my score is around 144 when v-sync is ON]

Last edited:
Reactions: VaZ

ryderpat

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
Your card is fine.

You use the wrong benchmark. Your card is too strong for that, and will able to deliver way over 60 FPS. However, the v-sync limited the FPS to 60. That's why you have that 61.7.

I just made a short video to illustrate how this OceanWave benchmark affected by v-sync.
[P.S. My monitor has 144Hz refresh rate, that's why my score is around 144 when v-sync is ON]

same Mojave & Catalina on patch in 3.1

thanks bro for reply..
and now open Virtual machines...make slow down the speed...
but GTX 680...is no issue
lucky it get 410.7 fps ++

is it unsupport R9 280x right...???

btw my LG ultrawide FreeSync was off
now i get what u means.
that i set Display Preference on 99.88 hz and turn on Freesync
and now a little bit speed up over 60 fps
螢幕快照 2020-03-31 下午8.08.42.png

103.2 fps - On FreeSync 99hz.png

pls have anymore idea release the speed....?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
same Mojave & Catalina on patch in 3.1

thanks bro for reply..
and now open Virtual machines...make slow down the speed...
but GTX 680...is no issue
lucky having 410.7 fps ++

is it unsupport R9 280x right...???

pls have any idea release the speed....?
For 3,1, there should be a power management bug for 280X, which may make the card can’t even deliver 50% of its performance.

I am not sure if that also exist in patcher Mojave or Catalina.

Anyway, please use Luxmark to check the card’s performance. That’s much more reliable and stable. So that easier to diagnose or compare.
[automerge]1585655227[/automerge]
If you want to benchmark OpenGL specifically. Unigine Valley or Unigine Heaven works much better than OceanWave

Reactions: VaZ

jonypaul

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2019
Hello guys
To start i just want to thank you in advance for all the info in this forum, it already saved my life many times.
Until now i never really asked a lot because i always managed to solve the problems reading the topics, without having to bother you.
But this time i really don't know what to do.
I was waiting for the last month to my mini 6pin to 6 pin cables to arrive so i could put my Asus R9 280x 3G.
I also bought a 6 pin to 8pin so i could connect all the electrical plugs in the GPU.
The card is not flashed but for what i did read here and online it should work out of the box with my Mac pro early 2009 (with 5.1 firmware because i already upgraded the cpu too) with 10.12.6 Sierra installed.

When i put it it doesn't do anything. Not even the noise in the beginning.
I tried to reset the nvram but even that doesn't seem to work because it doesn't look like the mac ever restarts.
It just keeps on, without any sign on the screens or even the noise of the disks reading.

Anyone know what could be the problem?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
If you are powering the 8 pin connector with the mini 6 pin alone it will not work. You need to power the 8 pin with 2 mini 6 pins and the 6 pin with 2 SATA to 6 pin cable.

jonypaul

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2019
If you are powering the 8 pin connector with the mini 6 pin alone it will not work. You need to power the 8 pin with 2 mini 6 pins and the 6 pin with 2 SATA to 6 pin cable.
But that shouldn't be a problem because i did read online many people with no problem with the card with only the 6pin plugged in.
Some even saying that it worked with any of them plugged in.
So like this it should work anyways no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.