Flat repair fee?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XMizer, Sep 7, 2013.

1. XMizer macrumors member

Does Apple still offer the $310 flat repair fee?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, but it is $230. That's what it cost me last time. See sig for computer.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

What does it cover? I have a mid 2009 unibody in need of a new battery and trackpad, and maybe could use it for other laptops in the future.. Either way, I've heard of the flat repair rate a few times but not as much as a general quote.

4. XMizer thread starter macrumors member

Mine is a late 2011 MBP. I can't boot up now. I suspect the logic board is fried. I wonder how much the flat fee repair for me is. As long as it's not $310, then I'm fine. Of course $230 is better.

I actually live in Canada. We don't have the flat repair fee, I don't think. I would have to travel across the border to take advantage of this. Do you know if that is going to be a problem considering my Macbook was purchased in Canada?

Also, there is a 90-day warranty on repaired parts. If there are additional problems after the repair, do I have to take it to the United States for repair or I can just take it to an Apple store in Canada?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It covered everything excluding battery. They swapped out a damaged HDD, new RAM sticks, new Logic board... well, everything; except battery. Repair Labor cost included as well.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Wow... How does one go do this exactly? Just say that you want the flat repair rate? Lol should've taken one of ours in when the HDD drive died..

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well I don't know exactly. I had 3 different repairs under AppleCare (screen flickers, bad RAM modules and GPU died). I went in due to logic board failing 3 months after my AppleCare ended. The Genius looked at my repair history and stated that he was going to give me the flat-repair option.

He explained it was basically a detailed repair process where they got my Mac, started figuring out what was wrong and swapped anything bad (except battery). I agreed.

In the midst of all this he saw that I didn't have the original 250GB HDD my Mac brought. I explained I had replaced it since my brother dropped the HDD when I was performing a HDD diagnosis using my Mac for a friend. Genius told me to swap out my WD Black Scorpio drive and put in the damaged drive if I still had it (lucky me I still did). I got that replaced & upgraded from 250GB to 320GB.

Apple repair and/or replaced HDD and logic board. All for $230. In the end, the flat rate fee option will most likely depend on how much issues you've had. For me, it is true I had 3 big issues, but Apple was very direct with me and told me they messed up and did it right. Which is why, my next computer will be a Mac (assuming they keep dGPUs in there).

8. XMizer thread starter macrumors member

is the flat fee repair part of the official policy, so it's just a well known Apple secret (which means they don't necessarily have to honor it if they don't have to).

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's not part of the policy. Official policy is Apple will replace or repair according to their judgement. So, they might have just told me, repair for logic board + labor is $XXX, instead of just $230.

10. XMizer thread starter macrumors member

Did they repair the logic board or did they replace it?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Replaced it. OS X reports a different Serial number for the logic board from the one I had. Also, color to it is light green vs aqua green before.

12. XMizer thread starter macrumors member

Why is it a different color? Is it a different model?

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't know why the different color. In the end, the color of the solder mask means nothing. It's just a color change. (Unless it's red, that means it was a prototype)

14. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I disagree! Solder mask is an art form! :rolleyes:
    I do remember reading something at sparkfun about how they try to do good design with their silkmask/soldermask.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

"In many ways, it is more beautiful internally, as is externally" - Jony Ive referring to the Late 2008 MacBook release.