Flip MinoHD v. Flip UltraHD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spaceballl, Jun 1, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

We are looking to get one of these for my dad this Fathers Day, but I can't seem to figure out which is the best. Can people chime in on this? I know that the Ultra has more memory, removable batteries, etc, but are these features worth it for the major increase in bulk? Are they both just as durable? How much does the larger screen really help? Thanks so much!

2. hellrider macrumors regular

I've personally used the MinoHD and was impressed with the video quality (considering the form factor). The screens on both are nothing to brag about, hopefully most of the viewing will be done connected to a TV or computer. As far as memory goes, it is unlikely that entire long events will be filmed with the camera (it's best for point and shoot, whip it [the camera :)] out at a seconds notice kind of thing).

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah I just read a review of the UltraHD... Sounds like it's maybe too thick. I don't mean to throw another Small video camera into the mix, but what about the Kodak ZX1? There seem to be really positive reviews on this one. Mods, feel free to add zx1 into my initial post title.

4. HagusofNWN macrumors newbie

MinoHD vs UltraHD

Ok, so I have both and here's the skinny.....

MinoHD: Smaller form factor, USB ejects from the top of the unit. It actually connects to the Mac without having to elevate the Mac to connect the USB port. The batteries are integrated into the MinoHD. The TV output is composite only. The screen on the MinoHD is smaller, the unit has 60minutes of record time with 4Gig of Flash.

UltraHD: larger form factor, USB ejects from the side instead of the top. I have to elevate my Mac to line up the USB connector. The UltraHD has an HDMI interface to connect directly to an HDTV. The screen is larger, the batteries are user replaceable and you have 120 minutes of recored time with 8Gig of flash storage.

There are some minor user interface differences, but this is the main thrust.

Goto www.theflip.com to do a side by side comparison. Both units work very well with my MACs.

5. Burning Radio macrumors regular

If minor compatability problems with Mac aren't a worry, then check out the Creative Vado HD. Great picture quality for such a little video camera. If your dad has a PC, then DEFINITELY check it out.

6. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

+1 for a Kodak.

I have the Zi6 and it's great, (not BBC quality but) handy as a point-and-shoot.

Connects directly to the TV and records onto SD cards so if you're going away on a longish trip/holiday/vacation you can simply swap the card out. Like the others, the USB flips out ... I connect it to a USB extension lead as it doesn't fit into the USB port on my MBP (I have it on a stand).

Slight downside is it does eat batteries so rechargeables recommended.

HTH

- D

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm leaning toward the ZX1... would appreciate some more feedback on this one, if anyone has experience with it.

8. Kalison macrumors member

UltraHD has a bit better color, wider angle lens, stereo mic. The sound from the UltraHD is much better than the MinoHD. Also, you can use AA batteries if your rechargeable runs out, or just carry other rechargeable packs with you.

Check these out and see what you think. This is what helped me make my decision.

http://vimeo.com/4405204?hd=1

http://vimeo.com/4405767

http://www.vimeo.com/4562481

I picked the UltraHD. I think the colors are better, sound is better, and the wider angle is nicer.

MinoHD is really nice, as well. The sound is great for its size and its competition, the video is nice and clear, the form factor is great, and its just slick for an HD player.

They both have semi poor low light performance. There is considerable noise with night shots.

9. chuckyeager macrumors member

10. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

yes, as well as flip the screen around 180 so you can see it record as it sits ona table. yes, any tripod can fit in the threaded hole. and yes. windows users have a much easier experience (to my understanding) with any of these units.

also to the OP +1 for the webbie. side by side video comparisons the webbie is better IMO. youtube some shiz. i got videos up there.

11. chuckyeager macrumors member

Thank you. I went to amazon and read the reviews. Most say that this model is very apple friendly.... I just bought a mini today... next up, I think is the Webbie.

12. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I hope that Flip's next product has Image Stabilization.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Spaceball: what you end up buying? Please share your review.

I am lookign to buy one, to do quick recordings of my daughter and soon to be born son.

How stable is the recorded video when they are handhled?
    MinoHD
    UltraHD
    Kodak?
    Sony Webbie?

My pulse is as good as a drunk.

14. LukeConway macrumors newbie

Mino HD>Ultra HD

I would go for the Mino. Its smaller takes the same quality picture as the Ultra. Cost a bit more. Idk if its good for you, but its great for me.

15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you haven't purchased a pocket camcorder yet you might want to wait for the new Kodak Zi8. It shoots in 1080p, has an external mic jack, image stabilization and it is supposed to have improved low light shooting compared to the Zi6. The other cool feature is that it has HDMI built in and includes an HDMI cable in the box.

Here is a youTube video about it and the video was shot with the Zi8. I think it is available in September.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fXbvTeDXY

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I do like that one, it is very promising. Any update from the other brands?

17. dont24 macrumors regular

So Amazon has the Vado HD for $100 today. Seems like a great deal. Is Mac compatible still limited to being able to view the files? Software doesn't work and
    you need something to convert the files for editing?

18. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Can't see the video now since I'm at work but is this the first pocket cam that has image stabilization? Is there pictures of it like with it's size compared to the Mino/UltraHD? I hope it's not a mammoth.

19. dont24 macrumors regular

What about importing directly to iMovie 09?

20. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

I have been looking at these too. Originally thought I wanted a Flip Ultra HD as that was the best Flip camera but that was before I discovered the Sony Webbie which looks very impressive and the Kodak Zi8. One thing about the Kodak in the video is that it doesn't seem to record in stereo (he says you can add a 3.5mm microphone to record in stereo) - whereas I think the Ultra HD records in stereo - does the Sony Webbie? Also the Zi8 still doesn't appear to have a flat bottom so you can't set it on a table to record.

Right now, I am deciding between the Flip Ultra HD and the Sony Webbie. The Webbie has some nice features, I particularly like the rotatable lens and it works well with Macs. Just not a fan of Sony's proprietary memory cards. Anyone have any thoughts between these two?

21. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I believe that the Sony Webbie also records only in mono.
    How good is the image stabilization on the Sony Webbie?

22. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I don't think the Webbie has Image Stabilization. I thought the Kodak Zi8 was the first pocket cam to have electronic image stabilization.

It seems to be the best contender right now IMO. Webbie looks cool but I don't see what makes it better than the Zi8?

23. rickstaaaaaa macrumors newbie

I am really happy with the FLIP ULTRA HD

I posted a nice video of miami beach yesterday

http://vimeo.com/11479213

leave some feedback

24. bfolkers macrumors newbie

Here's my two cents if anyone is still looking at this forum.

I work at a local radio station, and to cover events, we bought 4 Zi8s. We decided on those because of the external mic jack, and the 1080p.

Two weeks later, I recieved a MinoHD for a present.

This last weekend at the biggest concert of our season, Rockfest, I used both all day. Verdict?

MinoHD. Much faster startup time, more user friendly, Longer battery life. The Zoom on the minoHD is nothing great, but on the Zi8 its absolutely horrible. the Zi8s image stabilization is a joke.

In the end, I wish we could return all of our Kodaks and get Flips to replace them.