Flying Blind

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Just upgraded to an i7 3.2 model and even thought the Apple Store person assured me my monitor would support the new model, turns out it does not. So I need to purchase a monitor. Are there any under $500 that you recommend? I wasn’t planning this purchase but the new computer won’t work without a new monitor. I am not a graphic artist or a game player, but I do want a nice display to look at for pictures and videos. Thank You.

gigatoaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2018
Singapore
Do you have the complete reference of your current monitor so that we can check if someone else is having the same issue? Could you describe precisely the problem?

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Do you have the complete reference of your current monitor so that we can check if someone else is having the same issue? Could you describe precisely the problem?
The monitor only displays “Out of range signal cannot display video mode change computer display input to 1920x1200@60hz” and nothing else.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
The monitor only displays “Out of range signal cannot display video mode change computer display input to 1920x1200@60hz” and nothing else.
Additionally the monitor hook up is DVI to HDMI on the Mac Mini

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
What manufacturer and model of monitor? What kind of cable is it connected with?

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Here you go, same display and issue (was working on a '12 Mini, stopped working on a '18 Mini), they went to a USB-C adapter, fixed the issue:

(Though a new monitor would be nice too :D)

BTW, there's also a number of USB-C to HDMI adapters, where you'd use your existing cable, a touch cheaper, but a single cable - especially if it's known working - might be the better option.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

getrealbro

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I’m the guy who was shocked that my new 2018 i7 Mini wouldn’t work with my DELL2407WFP when it was connected with an Amazon Basics HDMI-> DVI cable, that works fine with my 2014 Mini.

Since that early post I discovered that BOTH of these cables will work with my 2018 Mini and DELL2407WFP or DELL P2312H …

This $18 USBc -> DVI

or this $7 HDMI -> DVI

FWIW I’m using the USBc->DVI cable because…
a - I already owned it
and
b - it supports the Monitor Control app that lets me adjust the DELL2407WFP’s screen brightness from the menu bar without going through the DELL’s complicated on board menu system.

GetRealBro

Last edited:

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Here you go, same display and issue (was working on a '12 Mini, stopped working on a '18 Mini), they went to a USB-C adapter, fixed the issue:

(Though a new monitor would be nice too :D)

BTW, there's also a number of USB-C to HDMI adapters, where you'd use your existing cable, a touch cheaper, but a single cable - especially if it's known working - might be the better option.
Thank You I will try that solution. I only had a usb c to vga cable and that only allows me to see the Apple logo and startup bar for about 4 seconds and then it displays entering power save mode and the monitor toggles between a drawing of a laptop and a desktop with the power buttons highlighted....
- - Post merged: - -

I’m the guy who was shocked that my new 2018 i7 Mini wouldn’t work with my DELL2407WFP when it was connected with an Amazon Basics HDMI-> DVI cable, that works fine with my 2014 Mini.

Since that early post I discovered that BOTH of these cables will work with my 2018 Mini and DELL2407WFP or DELL P2312H …

This $18 USBc -> DVI

or this $7 HDMI -> DVI

FWIW I’m using the USBc->DVI cable because…
a - I already owned it
and
b - it supports the Monitor Control app that lets me adjust the DELL2407WFP’s screen brightness from the menu bar without going through the DELL’s complicated on board menu system.

GetRealBro
Thank You I will try that solution. I only had a usb c to vga cable and that only allows me to see the Apple logo and startup bar for about 4 seconds and then it displays entering power save mode andthe monitor toggles between a drawing of a laptop and a desktop with the power buttons highlighted....

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thank You I will try that solution. I only had a usb c to vga cable and that only allows me to see the Apple logo and startup bar for about 4 seconds and then it displays entering power save mode and the monitor toggles between a drawing of a laptop and a desktop with the power buttons highlighted....
I had a touch of finicky behavior when I was trying to run USB-C on one display and HDMI on the other, with both on USB-C (USB-C_to_MiniDP adapters) it's been pretty perfect. So there's definitely some interface specific flakiness.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
The display you listed above has:
- DVI
- VGA

Here is a thread from another user with the same display:

... the user said that THIS cable worked for him:

I would order that specific cable and try again.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
The display you listed above has:
- DVI
- VGA

Here is a thread from another user with the same display:

... the user said that THIS cable worked for him:

I would order that specific cable and try again.
Just did!
I will let you know when the cable arrives and I try it out.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
I hooked up the new mini following your instructions with the recommended cable; same results as the VGA attempt, only allows me to see the Apple logo and startup bar for about 4 seconds and then it displays entering power save mode and the monitor toggles between a drawing of a laptop and a desktop with the power buttons highlighted....
I also ordered and tried the usb c to hdmi cable to use my existing cable rig and same results.
Looks like I will be buying a new monitor.........

getrealbro

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I hooked up the new mini following your instructions with the recommended cable; same results as the VGA attempt, only allows me to see the Apple logo and startup bar for about 4 seconds and then it displays entering power save mode and the monitor toggles between a drawing of a laptop and a desktop with the power buttons highlighted....
Wow! I don’t get it. My DELL 2407WFP is working fine (as my 2nd monitor) attached to my 2018 Mini using the USB-c to DVI Cable that I previously linked in post #9. BTW it also works fine when it is the only monitor and attached via that cable. FWIW my DELL 2407WFP didn't display a “drawing of a laptop” even when it wasn’t working with my 2018 Mini because of the cable.

Maybe djc6’s suggestion to reset the Dell is worth trying.

BTW the blackout during startup, after briefly showing the Apple Logo and startup bar, is “normal” for a 2018 Mini. It appears that the blackout occurs when the Mini is switching the startup display to the monitor that macOS thinks will be the “main monitor” i.e. the one with the dock and menu bar.

GetRealBro

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Wow! I don’t get it. My DELL 2407WFP is working fine (as my 2nd monitor) attached to my 2018 Mini using the USB-c to DVI Cable that I previously linked in post #9. BTW it also works fine when it is the only monitor and attached via that cable. FWIW my DELL 2407WFP didn't display a “drawing of a laptop” even when it wasn’t working with my 2018 Mini because of the cable.

Maybe djc6’s suggestion to reset the Dell is worth trying.

BTW the blackout during startup, after briefly showing the Apple Logo and startup bar, is “normal” for a 2018 Mini. It appears that the blackout occurs when the Mini is switching the startup display to the monitor that macOS thinks will be the “main monitor” i.e. the one with the dock and menu bar.

GetRealBro
Is it because I have the i7 processor?

iAssimilated

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
PNW
I know this is a bit of a reach, but it almost sounds like your mini is stuck on a scaled resolution that is higher than 1920x1200. My 2018 mini is hooked up via a HDMI -> DVI adapter plus a DVI cable and I am running 1920x1080 just fine. My connection is from the back of my eGPU, but it worked from the mini originally (although its been over a year ago since my monitor was connected to the mini itself).

Do you have another mac? You could screen share to the new mini and check its configuration (preferably with the monitor connected or your settings will not register a display).

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68020
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
No, CPU choice has zero to do with these sorts of issues. DVI works fine when it works, but when it doesn't, it doesn't and it's a pain in the butt figuring out a solution, sometimes. Make sure you have no other devices attached to the mini, use the USB-C to DVI connector and try it again.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
No. My 2018 Mini is a 3.2GHz i7 and my DELL2407WFP works fine with the USB-c -> DVI cable.

Have you ever gotten your Mini to boot? If not, you may need to borrow a monitor just to get it minimally configured and recognizing your DELL 2407WFP as a 2nd monitor.

You might also consider booting to the startup security utility. Your Mini may do a better job of recognizing/using your DELL.

GetRealBro

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
I have tried 3 different monitors and tried DVI and HDMI and USB C connection combinations and I always get half way through start up and then the Spple logo and start. At turns from white to green and then slowly toggles between the two drawings of the laptop and desktop with their power buttons highlighted green.
I still have not successfully completed my initial boot.
- - Post merged: - -

To my untrained eye it almost looks like the mini goes into some type of power save mode half way into start up?

Last edited:

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Have you tried calling apple or taking it to the apple store?

Three different monitors.. maybe your mini has an issue. Have you tried internet recovery?

Press Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R at startup to manually force internet recovery

You should see a spinning globe instead of the apple logo

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Took the new mini to the Apple store this weekend. The genius there was concerned enough about the start up logo turning from white to green during start up that they had me return the unit. Their concern was for the video card, which they said was why the logo turned green. Thank You all for your support.

Reactions: Zdigital2015