Flying Tomorrow, Question about Carry-ons

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zflauaus, Jul 2, 2008.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm flying up to Chicago tomorrow on American Airlines and coming back on Sunday. While up there, I'm getting a new MacBook Pro and iPod touch because I'm selling my old iBook to my sister. I've read online that the Dimensions of the MacBook Pro box is 17"x17"x3.25". First off, can I get a confirmation on that?

Secondly, if that's true, my check-in bag is too small for the box to fit in. I already have a backpack that will be my carry-on. Would I be allowed to carry both the MacBook Pro box and my backpack onto the plane? I've looked on the TSA and American Airlines site and couldn't find a definite answer, so if somebody could answer this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I just don't want to be screwed and have to leave the box with my sister until she comes home late August.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If your backpack is small (not those huge hiking backpacks), then you should be able to take both, as long as the MBP box doesn't exceed the dimensions of the carry-on.

3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The box could be classified as the "personal" item - you ought to see the size of the briefcases some folks lug on. It should fit just fine in the overhead. The backpack will also fit up there, or under the seat in front of you. You're fine.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

For all practical purposes, "1 bag + 1 personal item" translates to "two carry-ons."

6. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

And this is why I love MacRumors.

Sets my mind at ease. Thanks everyone!

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just to not draw attention to yourself and make yourself a target for mugging or anything of that sort, I'd bring the laptop in the backpack and ship the empty box back home

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

+1 that. That way also you can definitely claim that your backpack is your computer bag :D

9. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Well, since I'm pretty sure the Airlines check your carry ons, you might want to unbox the MBP before getting on the flight...

Unless you want TSA to unbox it for you ;)

10. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll take care of the unboxing, thanks. ;)

I am going to carry my MBP in the backpack as it is. I'll probably put everything in the bag as much as I can and just carry the box with just the styrofoam packaging in it. Worst case scenario I could give the box to my sister for the time being.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just remember, you'll have to put your laptop through the x-ray machine on it's own, not in any packaging.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just noticed you are flying up to Chicago. O'Hare or Midway out of curiosity?

13. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Im flying tomorrow too! Im going home though, so it sucks.:(

I usually have a messenger bag and a big carry on, so just having a backpack and the box should be fine.

14. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, I remember that from when I traveled with my iBook. So that means I'll have three separate crates. Great.

O'Hare. My sister didn't want me flying into Midway.

Glad to hear it from somebody who's experienced it. Thanks!

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Hopefully the storms don't delay your flight, make sure to check the flight status. And be nice to your sister and take the airport train to the parking area where there is the kiss&fly instead of having her drive to the arrivals area. That stuff is a nightmare. :rolleyes:

16. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's my concern. St. Louis is going to have a stalled front right over it all day tomorrow and rain around 7:05pm (when I leave). I'll be in Lambert for four hours as it is as the person who's taking me there is getting there at 3:00. I think $8 for WiFi is well worth the potential boredom.

And it's actually my sister's friend that's picking me up. This is the first time I've flown solo and the first time I'll be in Chicago so we're going by her plan for now.

17. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Its not that bad. I have to take out my Wii, DVD Player, computer, and Moms computer. Pain in the butt. Last time I wore shorts with zippers everywhere, forgetting about the metal.

I had to be wanded. :(

No problem.:)

18. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

You fit that all into your carry-on(s)??? :eek: Wow. Crazy... Haha.

19. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Well, the MBP (mine) goes in the messenger bag, DVD player and Wii go in huge carry on (told you it was big), and the MB (moms) goes into her carry on.

I just cant wait to get to the security thingy.:rolleyes:

20. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

So you are the guy that people roll their eyes at? ;) Haha

21. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Yup.:)

I plan to pack smart this time though.

22. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Very nice. Just found out I have a window seat. On the plane. I always manage to get the window seat, which is great because I love it. :)

Side note/question: Is there a certain system to how American Airlines boards flights? On the way to Chicago I am Booking Code Q and on the way back I am Booking Code N. Just curious if there was a system to it.

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

What Apple store are you going to?

Keep in mind, Cook County just raised their taxes to over 10%

I'm in Elgin, and my house is right by I90. That's the huge interstate that runs right into O'hare..

24. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

We're going to the Cook County one. I saw that and then my sister confirmed that. I'm still going to the Michigan Avenue store to say I've been there. :D

So I'll probably be flying right over your house, eh?