Flytunes Streaming Radio WebApp - anyone have a download?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrzippy, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mrzippy macrumors 6502

Flytunes was released today, but limited to emails in batches to stem demand...

Anyone got this on bittorrent yet?

http://flytunes.fm

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

3. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Im searching too, this app looks extremely nice.

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If you find it let us know! (I assume you will)

5. mrzippy thread starter macrumors 6502

Wish I had registered earlier now, bet loads of people didn't register at all...

Lets hope this is not vapourware!

Best I could find do to the same (maybe similar as don't know exactly what the app does yet), is TVersity on the PC (run in Parallels).

6. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

7. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

9. mrzippy thread starter macrumors 6502

All is quiet, cannot believe in a busy iPod touch forum that no-one has this app...

Does not show on bittorrent or usenet either.

Unless it's vapourware?

10. darkblu macrumors regular

AFAIK the application is entirely web-based: you go to the flytunes sever and there, given you have access credentials, a page loads up with the interface to flytunes. IOW, there's nothing to download, or bittorrent.

on a related note, there are internet stations out there who already broadcast in mobile-safari-friendly format (what flytunes essentially does). check out WFMU.

11. mrzippy thread starter macrumors 6502

The site implies it's a streaming server you install on your Mac / PC, but details are sketchy.

from the press release
    As for you radio link, it's just one station from the literally thousands available online!

I found TVersity on Windows that streams anything as an MP3, but cannot find a similar Mac app.

12. darkblu macrumors regular

so they're actually releasing their sever app - did not know that, my impressions were based off the apple.com web-apps pages, where flytunes has an entry.

i suspect you may be able to use a flash-based streaming sever (like those wii streaming servers) and pass that through itransmogrify, but i've never tried it. i might tonight, though.

13. mrzippy thread starter macrumors 6502

I will look into that, the server must output what the browser thinks is a real MP3 otherwise it will not play.

14. darkblu macrumors regular

well, the idea of the itransmogrify bookmarklet is that it passes the page to the youtube browser (capable of flash7, i believe) so as long as your flash content is compliant, it should hypothetically work. in practice, though, only certain content is supported so far:

i tried it with wii transfer, a flash7-centric mp3 & flash video server for osx known to work with wii opera, and it did not work, not for audio at least, and i did not try video.

15. bkea macrumors regular

16. mrzippy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link, butt this looks even more dodgy as there is no 'download' for mac, and the helps pages only mentions Windows.

Quote from help page:
    Which does imply it's a streaming server you download, but uninstall section only references Windows XP and when you sign up you get the following message:

Is MediaCatcher the app we need, the one that was released on the 21st and is stated as available on the press release...

This isn't looking good, plus the preset stations on the player are all busy, but no wonder if you have to stream from their site rather than you local machine!

17. cbanksy9 macrumors member

anyone have the same promblem

i just got the flytunes thing so i was like all happy lol but after i downloaded the program and wat not i cant listen to anything every station is "busy" so i dont know if anyone else had this promblem and fixed please let me know

BTW hoe does this program "cache" music anyway sorry not to smart when it comes to this

18. mrzippy thread starter macrumors 6502

what program? No download shows for me.

Are you a PC user? All I see is a web app.

Neil

19. cbanksy9 macrumors member

Yes im a pc user but you have to download a program called mediacathcer its in the link a couple of post before myne in order to use flytunes

20. bkea macrumors regular

*sigh*

No one seems to have got it working, and its been 3 days. Starting to think its never gonna work!:(:apple:

21. mrzippy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well as you register / log in you are told that app is not available for the Mac yet, although it doesn't tell you what the app actually is...

Also the press release said Mac / PC, which isn't true...

22. bkea macrumors regular

23. bkea macrumors regular

got it

i just got the email then, but after i log in on my ipod touch it says "flytunes is not able to reach your home computer. Pleas make sure its is on and that your router is properly configured" i have configured the router how it says to as well!

heres the link http://www.flytunes.fm/user/login.aspx

24. kboy667 macrumors newbie

?

okay when i try to log in it wont let me and that first link doesnt work at all. but any way yeah y email and pass that i signed up withwont work. :( im sad i want it BAD :(((. i tried emailing them and all they did was send me a copy of the due to the over whelming message to me. Arrg so tupid. :9

25. kboy667 macrumors newbie

where do you get a pass?