FM radio in iPhone "4G" ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troop231, Jun 1, 2010.

?

FM chip in new iPhone?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    45.3%
  1. troop231 macrumors 603

What are the odds an FM chip will be in the new iPhone? I really hope there is one.

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Same here. It would be nice if they put a radio on it.

Sometimes I'm just in the mood to listen to the radio when on the transit.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It would make sense ... unload the 3G network ... and they're cheap to implement and common everywhere else it seems.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

I thought the 3GS broadcom chip could do FM already ... there's a difference in putting the chip in and making an FM app...

5. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

If there's no antenna then it wouldn't make a difference. Most phones require a headset to be plugged in to be used as an antenna.

6. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

What are the current Internet options with regard to iPhone radio?

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

I appreciate that fact, my point was that Apple has put chips capable of FM reception in the iPhone before but didn't implement it (antenna or software/API's) ...

Although i suppose since they activated the function in the Nano, they might do the same in iPhone

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

9. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I may be wrong, but I thought it was the case that there is an FM capable chip in the iPhone now, but it just isn't being utilized for whatever reason?

10. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I was told the same thing by a friend that worked at Apple. She was in retail so she may or may not know for sure but I have no reason to think she was making it up.

11. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

they could unlock it like they did to the ipod in 3.0 for bluetooth.

13. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Unlock it with no antenna/circuitry in place?

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

FM transmiter - yes FM receiver - no

With apps like OOtunes and wunderadio. I get all my local stuff plus 100s Of stations all over ther world. Plus I don't have worry about things interfearing with a week fm antenna.

15. JDee macrumors 6502a

As one has mentioned above, Apple could start selling earphones which have an antenna included like many other mobile phone devices today.

16. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea the point I mentioned above. But there still has to be copper traces to the headphone path from the FM chip to be able to do this.

17. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Better in all areas unless you cannot get signal dropouts or have a low bandwidth allowance.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I had a Zune, and just used the headphones from that for my iPhone and it works fine. Apple just needs to allow the FM function in the OS AFAIK.

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah, hopefully Apple will actually wire it up this time, but it's hard to know at this point.

It would help cut down on data going through the mobile networks, resulting in more bandwidth for things that actually require it, at massively less power consumption on the phone itself. It's a win-win.

Phazer

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No, they didn't connect the headphone socket on the 3G/3GS to the relevant pins on the chipset as far as anyone is able to tell, so it can't be added in software to the existing hardware (due to nothing else but bad design in the existing hardware...)

Phazer

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The advatage of FM radio is it takes a lot less power to pick up FM than it would to power up cell antenna

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The "FM chip" is the baseband processor, which is already connected to the audio-in and audio-out circuits. I don't know that any of us knows enough about the internals of the SGold3 to know whether a separate connection would be necessary.

23. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

The length/design of the traces will determine good reception when some earphones are plugged in due to varying electrical resistance. Not a feature that can be "unlocked" via software alone.

24. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'm actually surprised they haven't added an FM radio to the iPhone. Right now, I use either ooTunes or iheartradio to get my local stations. If they activate the antenna, we could at least unload some of the load on the 3G network for those, like me, that only want to listen to local rather than national stations.

That said, I don't rememeber any of the 4G teardowns having any evidence that an FM radio is coming.

25. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Ah just downloaded TuneIn Radio from the App store, brilliant! now I have crystal clear Radio One for the UK and my wife has bloody EZ FM live from Bangkok.