Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkjnkn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
I’m waiting on delivery of my 11in IPP (its tomorrow!!!). In mean time I’m scratching my head over which to buy, folio or magic keyboard. I’m really drawn to the magic keyboard because of the trackpad and I think that would be a really nice way to interact with iPad, I’m selling my MacBook to pay for this so having the continuity of the trackpad would be nice. But then I’m really struggling with the fact that it doesn’t fold back. Would that just tempt me to leave it constantly in ‘laptop’ mode and stop me interacting with the screen?

Im hoping to get some insight from those who have used both.

Reactions: DiamondarBoss

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Really comes down to how much you intend to use the trackpad. Backlit keyboard is also nice, but do you need it? I ultimately decided on the keyboard folio. I don’t need the trackpad that much and when I do I can use my Magic Mouse. I prefer the lighter weight of the folio and ability to fold it back. I have the 11”. Perhaps if I had the 12.9 still I would prefer the magic keyboard since I used it in landscape 70-80% of the time. Folio/mouse: $258 Magic keyboard: $300

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I’m waiting on delivery of my 11in IPP (its tomorrow!!!). In mean time I’m scratching my head over which to buy, folio or magic keyboard. I’m really drawn to the magic keyboard because of the trackpad and I think that would be a really nice way to interact with iPad, I’m selling my MacBook to pay for this so having the continuity of the trackpad would be nice. But then I’m really struggling with the fact that it doesn’t fold back. Would that just tempt me to leave it constantly in ‘laptop’ mode and stop me interacting with the screen?

I replaced my keyboard folio with the magic keyboard. I use the iPad a lot as a tablet, and it works with the MK. First, even if the MK folded back, I think the combination would be so heavy as to be very unpleasant to use -- still, occasionally I wish I could just fold it back, like when I'm standing up with the iPad. But it's not often.

What I do is I carry the iPad around in the MK. When I want to use the iPad as a tablet, I open the keyboard side slightly up and push out the iPad through the camera cutout. I have to leave the MK besides me, but because it's still flat, it's not a problem. So, I use the iPad as tablet just as much as before.

The main disadvantage is that the combination is real heavy. I actually got wrist pain from carrying it around! Now I'm more careful how I hold it while carrying it.

So, there are downsides of the MK. But it just makes the iPad so much more useful for writing things, so I think it's worth it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I got a folio keyboard with my 12.9 and recently got a Magic Keyboard for it.
To my mind, there’s no comparison: the magic keyboard is streets ahead in usability and stability
Even though it cost a lot of money, I really think it is worth it for the functionality and build quality. It’s a fantastic accessory and has transformed how I use my iPad

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I tested the SKF on my 12.9 for a week and it's nice enough, but when I got the MK it was a very solid feeling of this fits my needs perfectly. I didn't really need the trackpad or backlit keys, but now it's hard to imagine living without them. For me the MK is so much more than what I initially thought it would be. For the price difference, I gained a lot more functionality and that made the $150 difference worth it. I haven't had any issues with it, and I added a Sopiguard skin to protect the surfaces.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I really like typing on the Smart Keyboard Folio where a lot of people seem to dislike it. The typing experience on the Magic Keyboard is better though. I’ve used the SKF with a Magic Trackpad 2 and I think that experience is better than the MK but isn‘t as portable.

The other biggest differences are the weight between the two and the ease that you can remove the iPad Pro from the MK case compared to the SKF. The weight you’ll have to judge for yourself. I kind of like the heavier MK because it lends a solid quality feel when carrying it. The ease of removal vs. flipping the keyboard over for me means that I use the iPad Pro as a tablet more often when using the MK. It just works better in my hands when it isn’t encumbered by dead keys on the backside of the case as when using the SKF.

Edit: This is with the 11” iPad Pro. And if you want a good trackpad, the cost of the SKF and Apple’s Magic Trackpad 2 are very similar to the price of the MK.

Last edited:

cmonkey1976

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
UK
I really wanted the MK when I ordered my 12.9 but didn’t add it to the basket for two reasons...
- the cost
- the fact that I didn’t want my iPad to feel like a laptop all the time

I did toy with the idea of getting the keyboard folio, but just didn’t like the thought of feeling the keys being pressed when it was folded back.

... in the end I just ordered an after market folio case which is better than Apples at a fraction of the cost (And attaches using magnets so easy to remove).

I actually really like the onscreen keyboard, but don’t know if thats because it feels better on a 12.9 having the extra screen space.

I did order (today) a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for when I really could do with using a proper keyboard and mouse... I do already use a ‘keys to go’ keyboard that I bought for my 10.5, but decided on a slightly more keyboard looking one.

if you use the keyboard ALL the time then can understand the need for either the MK or keyboard folio, but it’s it’s more occasional or at home use then maybe consider a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

EDIT: sorry OP, I know I mentioned that to you in another thread.... just realised.
glad you’re happy with your 11, exciting!

Last edited:
Reactions: mkjnkn

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
The only reason I got AMK is to use trackpad in Citrix desktop for work. I have the Smart Keyboard too. While ASK is nice I can't ditch my MacBook completely because it's just too difficult to operate Windows and legacy programs inside Citrix with fingers. AMK allows me to leave laptop completely while out and about, so that to me the weight and price trade-offs are worth it. Hope this helps.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Have reviewed the MK. Have the Logitech Folio.
From a functionality perspective, there is so much more I can do with the folio. The only cons; no trackpad and it is BT.

I’ve decided to wait on the next gen MK then I will take a second look.

Reactions: MisterMillz

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Have reviewed the MK. Have the Logitech Folio.
From a functionality perspective, there is so much more I can do with the folio. The only cons; no trackpad and it is BT.

I’ve decided to wait on the next gen MK then I will take a second look.
I don't know what it is with Bluetooth keyboards and iPads, but every Smart Connector keyboard I've owned vs Bluetooth is like night and day. There is no substitute for a Smart Connector Keyboard. I had a Logitech Slim Folio on my previous 12.9 that I LOVED. With my current 3rd gen 12.9, I had a Brydge and now a MK and the MK blows the Brydge away. The Bluetooth kills it for me

Reactions: jagooch and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I don't know what it is with Bluetooth keyboards and iPads, but every Smart Connector keyboard I've owned vs Bluetooth is like night and day. There is no substitute for a Smart Connector Keyboard. I had a Logitech Slim Folio on my previous 12.9 that I LOVED. With my current 3rd gen 12.9, I had a Brydge and now a MK and the MK blows the Brydge away. The Bluetooth kills it for me

I absolutely agree on this.
Biggest reason I was looking at the MK. If the MK had most of the functionality the Logitech Foliio did I would buy it today. Sad thing is Apple could do this with software but hasn’t.

Reactions: ejin222

penlost

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I replaced my folio with MK. I have not missed folding it back at all, I just take the iPad off the case and use it as it is intended to be used. When I am done, it sticks back on to the case. I do a lot of typing so this keyboard has been a game changer for me.

Reactions: 0128672

mkjnkn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
thanks all for your advice, I’ve decided to go for the MK because it sounds like it’s preferable just removing it from the case to use as a tablet over holding folio. Picking it up tomorrow! really loving the iPP over my old MacBook!

cmonkey1976

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
UK
thanks all for your advice, I’ve decided to go for the MK because it sounds like it’s preferable just removing it from the case to use as a tablet over holding folio. Picking it up tomorrow! really loving the iPP over my old MacBook!

awesome, yes please report back once you get it.

I know what you mean, haven’t touched my MacBook at all since getting my new iPad.

Magoo1979

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
Bit Late as you have made your choice but here is mine experience with both. I had 2018 IPP 11 with Smart Keyboard. I use this as a teacher all the time and mainly in Table Mode. I upgraded to 2020 IPP 12.9 with the Magic Keyboard.

The first week was tough - and think if I could of got a full refund on the MK I would have returned. Now glad I did not.

Working with it for typing etc is great and so easy word process emails etc. Track pad helps with creating Documents etc. I still use the 12.9 in tablet mode with the pencil in the classroom. I just leave the MK open on the desk.

If you use IPP as tablet most of time this won’t change. What will is the effectiveness of the iPad when you are using the Keyboard which makes it like a laptop.

Hope you enjoy your MK but give it time to get use to it!

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX

i’ve owned both. Here are my thoughts on the two:

Magic Keyboard

Look, if you can afford it, get the magic keyboard. If you‘re like me, and you don’t, it‘s gonna bug the hell out of you. Maybe order it for two weeks and decide if it‘s worth it? I thought it Apple had crossed the line when they announced a keyboard for $350. Honestly, i still think they did (I thought the price of the previous Smart Keyboards and Smart Keyboard folios were SOMETHING, but apple scoffed at that notion.)

I freaking love my magic keyboard. One huge thing that it allows me to do, is something I’ve been waiting years to do with an ipad: toss two pillows behind my back in bed in the morning, drink my coffee, and do my 2-3 hours of writing. It’s well built enough to use it like a macbook, in that sense. The keyboard is FANTASIC, and not having to reach up to touch the screen a million times, or hit command/option forward/backward constantly to edit text is freeing. And using Luma Fusion is a dream now with trackpad support. I didn’t like using it with the pencil...it felt weird.

As far as the folding back thing: one option is you can do what I did, and buy a cheap smart folio knockoff from amazon for 20 bucks and plop it on there when you want to use it just as a tablet. Switching between the two is easy as Hell. When i want to read in bed with my iPad pro, it‘s what I do. If apple had only just made a slim back cover that would connect to the MK pins, this wouldnt be an issue.

In fact, the iPad pro with a Magnetic back cover will stick just fine to the magic keyboard — that’s how strong the magnets are — but won‘t connect to it, but the smart connector is blocked. Or just get a skin for the back of it, one thats not slippery. Dig through my posts/comments this month, i have a screenshot of an email from Dbrand where they told me which skins are the best for grip.

Smart Keyboard Folio

I used the Smart Keyboard folio exclusiively on my 2018 iPad Pro for over a year and a half. It‘s a decent piece of kit — if you dig back in the forums to when it first came out, there was nothing but praise for it, because it was undeniable improvement from the previous Smart Keyboards, which were essentially a Smart Cover with a keyboard added.

If you do grab it — or the magic keyboard — get a skin for the front and back. Trust me. And this is just a little “me” tip, but on the back skin, put your name, email, and phone number, in case it gets lost and some kind hearted soul takes the time to get it back to you. The easier you make it on them, the more chance you’ll get it back.

The whole folding it back thing thing...it‘s not that great. It still adds heaviness, and your fingers are grazing the keyboard the whole time. It’s not uncomfortable, per sei. But it‘s easy now to see it as a stop gap product until they could get the magic keyboard up to snuff. Half the time, i just took the ipad off the keyboard folio when using it as just an iPad — the same thing you’d being doing with the magic keyboard.

If cash is an issue, try using the EDU store. I get all my stuff through the Military/Vets page — 10% off everything. So I got the 12.9 keyboard for the same price as the 11. I don’t know if I should consider it a victory that I dropped the 300 bucks to get a DAMNED KEYBOARD, but I saved $50 bucks, and a month in, I’m happy with my purchase.

If you’re in the states, PM me. Maybe you can venmo me the price I’d get on it from my vet discount, and I’ll have it delivered to you. Someone on this forum hooked up me up in a similar way 5 or 6 years ago, so I wouldn’t mind paying it forward.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
i’ve owned both. Here are my thoughts on the two:

Magic Keyboard

Look, if you can afford it, get the magic keyboard. If you‘re like me, and you don’t, it‘s gonna bug the hell out of you. Maybe order it for two weeks and decide if it‘s worth it? I thought it Apple had crossed the line when they announced a keyboard for $350. Honestly, i still think they did (I thought the price of the previous Smart Keyboards and Smart Keyboard folios were SOMETHING, but apple scoffed at that notion.)

I freaking love my magic keyboard. One huge thing that it allows me to do, is something I’ve been waiting years to do with an ipad: toss two pillows behind my back in bed in the morning, drink my coffee, and do my 2-3 hours of writing. It’s well built enough to use it like a macbook, in that sense. The keyboard is FANTASIC, and not having to reach up to touch the screen a million times, or hit command/option forward/backward constantly to edit text is freeing. And using Luma Fusion is a dream now with trackpad support. I didn’t like using it with the pencil...it felt weird.

As far as the folding back thing: one option is you can do what I did, and buy a cheap smart folio knockoff from amazon for 20 bucks and plop it on there when you want to use it just as a tablet. Switching between the two is easy as Hell. When i want to read in bed with my iPad pro, it‘s what I do. If apple had only just made a slim back cover that would connect to the MK pins, this wouldnt be an issue.

In fact, the iPad pro with a Magnetic back cover will stick just fine to the magic keyboard — that’s how strong the magnets are — but won‘t connect to it, but the smart connector is blocked. Or just get a skin for the back of it, one thats not slippery. Dig through my posts/comments this month, i have a screenshot of an email from Dbrand where they told me which skins are the best for grip.

Smart Keyboard Folio

I used the Smart Keyboard folio exclusiively on my 2018 iPad Pro for over a year and a half. It‘s a decent piece of kit — if you dig back in the forums to when it first came out, there was nothing but praise for it, because it was undeniable improvement from the previous Smart Keyboards, which were essentially a Smart Cover with a keyboard added.

If you do grab it — or the magic keyboard — get a skin for the front and back. Trust me. And this is just a little “me” tip, but on the back skin, put your name, email, and phone number, in case it gets lost and some kind hearted soul takes the time to get it back to you. The easier you make it on them, the more chance you’ll get it back.

The whole folding it back thing thing...it‘s not that great. It still adds heaviness, and your fingers are grazing the keyboard the whole time. It’s not uncomfortable, per sei. But it‘s easy now to see it as a stop gap product until they could get the magic keyboard up to snuff. Half the time, i just took the ipad off the keyboard folio when using it as just an iPad — the same thing you’d being doing with the magic keyboard.

If cash is an issue, try using the EDU store. I get all my stuff through the Military/Vets page — 10% off everything. So I got the 12.9 keyboard for the same price as the 11. I don’t know if I should consider it a victory that I dropped the 300 bucks to get a DAMNED KEYBOARD, but I saved $50 bucks, and a month in, I’m happy with my purchase.

If you’re in the states, PM me. Maybe you can venmo me the price I’d get on it from my vet discount, and I’ll have it delivered to you. Someone on this forum hooked up me up in a similar way 5 or 6 years ago, so I wouldn’t mind paying it forward.

I have the SKF for my 11–it is good, lightweight—but, similarly, I don’t enjoy the feel of it folded back, so I tend to take it off. So I don’t consider the folding back to be much of an advantage. I have the magic keyboard folio for my 12.9, and the back lighting is a huge deal to me, with the track pad and pass through charging being nice additions. MKF is the clear winner to me.

Reactions: tgara

B1llyG

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
Without sharing your use case(s) it’s hard for anybody to give you proper advise.

I’ve owned both the MK and SKF for my IPP 12.9. Although I like the typing experience on the MK, I consider it too flawed compared to its price. At this price point a keyboard needs to offer (much) more in terms of functionality and durability. Maybe they get it right in the second itteration, until then I stick with the (also flawed, but cheaper and more versatile) SKF and will certainly consider third party solutions such as Logitech (once they finally release).

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
If you’re planning on using your iPad as a laptop, the Magic Keyboard is the best accessory you can buy, hands down.

If you’re just wanting something lightweight to allow you to type on the go, the Smart Keyboard Folio is well worth checking out.

Reactions: Tagbert

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
For me the backlighted keyboard was a bigger draw than the trackpad. However keep one thing in mind, there is currently a software issue where the backlighting remains on long after you‘ve last interacted with the device. After the 13.5 update I found that it took about 30 seconds for the backlighting to turn off after the last interaction. Previously it had been 10 seconds or less. But recently I’m seeing the backlighting remaining on permanently more frequently. If you close the case without noticing this, battery drainage could be significant. There are many threads about increased battery usage and I believe this may be why.

Removing the ipad from the case fixes it, but I am always restarting the device as well. When I first noticed this it was about 2 weeks before I noticed it again, but just in the last couple days it has happened twice, so keep an eye on this. Also, oddly enough the backlight level winds up being higher than I have set when these instances occur. Removing the keyboard and/or restarting the ipad restores the correct backlight level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.