Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
The way I see it is no, Apple does not want to add mouse support to iOS and they have a good reason for this. They really want to push touch interactions forward and to encourage developers to innovate using touch. Adding mouse support it would be like them saying "that's it guys, we went as far as we could with the touch, but now we're out of ideas, so here's mouse support for you". I don't think Apple will ever do that.

A smarter way would be to say, hey our iPads are growing in popularity and are being used for more and more sophisticated things than media consumption and there are good number of people that need a more refined way of selecting things - let's add mouse support.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Mouse is NOT more refined. It is a sucking way from old times. Let it die.

That is subjective, of course. And judging by the number of people asking for it, an awful lot of people don't agree with you. IMO, a mouse is certainly a more refined way of selecting text quickly than the clunky touch offered on iPads now.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If you write a lot then you should get used to using only the keyboard for all text editing operations. It's faster than using a mouse or a trackpad. Now it's true that the text editors on iOS are not the best, but Coda supports the basic shortcuts for selecting and moving around.

This. Proper code editing is done in Emacs/vi/vim without the use of a mouse at all. I always tell people who code a lot: "If you're using a mouse you're doing it wrong". Keyboard cursor movement and selection are way faster and more precise. Keyboard shortcuts for moving between files means I never need to touch the mouse while programming.

Here are a couple more shortcuts built into iOS and Mac OSX that I haven't seen mentioned:

Move to beginning of the line: Ctrl+a
Move to end of the line: Ctrl+e

These happen to line up with the same shortcuts in Emacs and in the terminal BTW ;-)

mountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
If anything they use just ipad to input short messages or for testing purposes.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I want mouse support. I always have on the iPad after I realized that it could be a really great productivity device. I also work with a lot of text (writing documents 100+ pages). I want to be able to do that on my iPad. Writing is the most simple mode of productivity in the digital age. Why can't I do it on my iPad?

Admittedly, for fiction work I don't have much problem. But most of my work is non-fiction that requires a lot of in-text navigation and revision. I can't do it on an iPad without a mouse.

It really is a simple addition, unlike what some have posted.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
This. Proper code editing is done in Emacs/vi/vim without the use of a mouse at all. I always tell people who code a lot: "If you're using a mouse you're doing it wrong". Keyboard cursor movement and selection are way faster and more precise. Keyboard shortcuts for moving between files means I never need to touch the mouse while programming.

Here are a couple more shortcuts built into iOS and Mac OSX that I haven't seen mentioned:

Move to beginning of the line: Ctrl+a
Move to end of the line: Ctrl+e

These happen to line up with the same shortcuts in Emacs and in the terminal BTW ;-)

I used to feel this way too. But after fighting it for a long time I realized that overall I can work faster in a full GUI development environment. There are some things that can be done faster with an command line editor but overall it is slower for me. "Proper code editing" is whatever a person is most comfortable and productive in.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
The only thing that slows me down when editing text on iOS is the keyboard repeat rate, which is too slow.
[doublepost=1455984517][/doublepost]
I want mouse support. I always have on the iPad after I realized that it could be a really great productivity device. I also work with a lot of text (writing documents 100+ pages). I want to be able to do that on my iPad. Writing is the most simple mode of productivity in the digital age. Why can't I do it on my iPad?

What exactly you can't do on an iPad when typing because you don't have a mouse?

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
What exactly you can't do on an iPad when typing because you don't have a mouse?

It isn't that I CAN'T do something... It's just that I could do it way faster using a mouse. I would prefer to carry around my small iPad instead of my larger MacBook Air. But I won't because it would become such an arduous process of writing that I would rather deal with the larger MBA.

Technically I can do just about everything I need to on the iPad. It's just much much much slower. So, the ease of transportation does not outweigh the significant drawbacks in speed/productivity.

So, it's not an issue of ability to do a task, but rather the efficiency.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Technically I can do just about everything I need to on the iPad. It's just much much much slower. So, the ease of transportation does not outweighed the significant drawbacks in speed/productivity.

So basically, some people find that they can work as fast without a mouse, some people find that it's slower but the tradeoff is worth it because of increased portability (and I have to add that carrying around a mouse is another thing you have to carry and worry about having enough battery), and others feel that without a mouse they are not productive enough.

The question then, is which type of user is more numerous, and whether the last type of user are numerous enough that Apple could lose significant market share if they don't add mouse support to iOS. So to those of you who want mouse support in iOS, I'd like to ask, is lack of mouse support a deal breaker that will make you choose another platform, such as Surface or MacBook? (And if you pick MacBook, Apple doesn't care, because they still get your money.) Or is it something you grumble about, but you buy an iPad anyway?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It isn't that I CAN'T do something... It's just that I could do it way faster using a mouse. I would prefer to carry around my small iPad instead of my larger MacBook Air. But I won't because it would become such an arduous process of writing that I would rather deal with the larger MBA.

Technically I can do just about everything I need to on the iPad. It's just much much much slower. So, the ease of transportation does not outweigh the significant drawbacks in speed/productivity.

So, it's not an issue of ability to do a task, but rather the efficiency.
I have found that most of those who are against the inclusion of mouse support in iOS have never used it in daily use. It is difficult to appreciate the value until one has actual "hands on" experience. I have used mouse support on my older jailbroken iPads, and on various Android tablets (they already have native support for mice).

I have seen the same resistance to using physical keyboards with the iPad. Emotionally vehement opposition. I don't know why the topic of the support for physical mice and keyboards evokes such strong opposition, but they do.

The only thing that slows me down when editing text on iOS is the keyboard repeat rate, which is too slow.

I notice that you are from Romania. I've visited Braşov a few times and absolutely fell in love with the city. It is on a short list of places that I would consider retiring to (if the government permits such a thing). :)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I was used to carry with me an iPad Air plus apple keyboard and select text with shift + arrow.

However, the new MacBook 12 is so slim that my new combination is iPad Air and MacBook 12.

With the app duet, the iPad becomes a second screen.
I find the combination of the two devices not much heavier or bigger than iPad plus keyboard. Best of two worlds

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have found that most of those who are against the inclusion of mouse support in iOS have never used it in daily use. It is difficult to appreciate the value until one has actual "hands on" experience. I have used mouse support on my older jailbroken iPads, and on various Android tablets (they already have native support for mice).

So do you carry a mouse with you when you take your iPad on the go, or does your iPad never leave home?

I've found that, yes, a physical keyboard does allow me to type faster, and while I myself has never found the mouse very useful, even on desktop systems, I don't doubt that people who like using the mouse on desktops do find they work faster on the iPad with a mouse. However, I've found that after the initial week or so of carrying around a keyboard to use with an iPad, I've ended up mostly using the iPad software keyboard instead of using the external one. So the keyboard now just stays at home. The best part of iPad for me is just grabbing it and start using it wherever I am. Trying to use the external keyboard means having to first find a place to plop up the iPad and place the keyboard. Using a mouse with the iPad will also require you first plop up the iPad somewhere. So unless you always use an iPad at a desk, where and how are you using the iPad that you have place for a mouse?

Reactions: friedmud

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
So do you carry a mouse with you when you take your iPad on the go, or does your iPad never leave home?

I've found that, yes, a physical keyboard does allow me to type faster, and while I myself has never found the mouse very useful, even on desktop systems, I don't doubt that people who like using the mouse on desktops do find they work faster on the iPad with a mouse. However, I've found that after the initial week or so of carrying around a keyboard to use with an iPad, I've ended up mostly using the iPad software keyboard instead of using the external one. So the keyboard now just stays at home. The best part of iPad for me is just grabbing it and start using it wherever I am. Trying to use the external keyboard means having to first find a place to plop up the iPad and place the keyboard. Using a mouse with the iPad will also require you first plop up the iPad somewhere. So unless you always use an iPad at a desk, where and how are you using the iPad that you have place for a mouse?

Good post that really highlights and supports those saying that "it depends what your'e doing with it"...

If you're serious into coding or heavy text editing revision and want to do that on the go, no amount of hassle carrying the keyboard (and definitely mouse too if you're jailbroken) will make you stop bringing them with you, as they are essential to certain tasks.

It's sort of like saying..."I draw on the go, but I got tired of bringing the Apple Pencil with me and now just use my finger"

For precision work, the finger will never be good enough and thus this hypothetical person would always bring the Pencil, regardless of hassle.

Same thing if you need the KB (or mouse too)

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I have found that most of those who are against the inclusion of mouse support in iOS have never used it in daily use. It is difficult to appreciate the value until one has actual "hands on" experience.

Not for me. Using a mouse means sitting at a desk, and that's the last place where you'll find me using my iPad. It's a mobile device, I want to use it anywhere I can escape from my desk, holding it in my hands, on my lap, on the couch, in bed... There is no place for a mouse there. For me any device which ties an iPad to a desk destroys the whole experience. That's why I never bought keyboard covers for my iPads. When I really need one I have a Logitech K811 which is a real keyboard and better than any keyboard covers out there.

So no, I don't want mouse support, I want Apple and developers to work on improving the touch experience, not going back to the mouse.

I notice that you are from Romania. I've visited Braşov a few times and absolutely fell in love with the city. It is on a short list of places that I would consider retiring to (if the government permits such a thing). :)

Yes, it's a very nice city, I like it too. :)

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Not for me. Using a mouse means sitting at a desk, and that's the last place where you'll find me using my iPad. It's a mobile device, I want to use it anywhere I can escape from my desk, holding it in my hands, on my lap, on the couch, in bed... There is no place for a mouse there. For me any device which ties an iPad to a desk destroys the whole experience. That's why I never bought keyboard covers for my iPads. When I really need one I have a Logitech K811 which is a real keyboard and better than any keyboard covers out there.

So no, I don't want mouse support, I want Apple and developers to work on improving the touch experience, not going back to the mouse.

Yes, it's a very nice city, I like it too. :)

Why would it be so bad to have mouse support for those times you are sitting at a desk doing some heavy editing? I agree that while used on the go that lugging a mouse around would not be convenient and I likely wouldn't do it, nor would I need it most times. But if I was sitting at a desk doing some heavy editing on a document, a keyboard and a mouse would be tremendously helpful.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But if I was sitting at a desk doing some heavy editing on a document, a keyboard and a mouse would be tremendously helpful.

Maybe I'd feel this way if I traveled a lot, and wanted to just carry one device when traveling. As it is, where I have a desk, I also have a computer.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Why would it be so bad to have mouse support for those times you are sitting at a desk doing some heavy editing? I agree that while used on the go that lugging a mouse around would not be convenient and I likely wouldn't do it, nor would I need it most times. But if I was sitting at a desk doing some heavy editing on a document, a keyboard and a mouse would be tremendously helpful.

I agree with you.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I never understand why people object to stuff like this. It would just be an additional feature that you can choose to use or not. The point is, you'd have the option. We're not talking about taking any features away.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Maybe I'd feel this way if I traveled a lot, and wanted to just carry one device when traveling. As it is, where I have a desk, I also have a computer.

As do I, but Tim Cook did come out and say an iPad Pro could be a replacement for a laptop and desktop computer for many people. It's just a limited replacement in its current form.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
The copying and pasting of stuff is no fun on these tablets. Everything else however is........

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As do I, but Tim Cook did come out and say an iPad Pro could be a replacement for a laptop and desktop computer for many people. It's just a limited replacement in its current form.

I do think it wasn't the best thing for him to have said that. But it's true that the iPP CAN replace a computer for many people, because many people have limited computing needs. And then there are many more people for whom the iPP doesn't quite replace their computer, but it does enhance their computing life in compelling ways. So yes, it is unfortunate that Cook's remark has put the focus on replacing, rather than enhancing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.