Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Made543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
This could be THE BOMB during this MBP upgrade.

The story.

I was so excited to see the new MBP show up this morning on Apple's website and decided to buy one, the base model 2.4GHz with no upgrade. Went to the store, used my student discount to get the $200 off on the MBP and Apple Care, which also got a $110 discount. I thought that's sweet. It came out like $2200 after tax.

Got home, unboxed it and fired it up. The set up went flawlessly, Airport connected to my WPA2 network with no issue at all. Software update found 2 appz and updated allright. Went for dinner. Came back to play with it a little more and get things setup. That's when I notice something's wrong, very wrong.

Click on About This Mac. First thing I noticed is that it list 2.5GHz:confused: I thought may be I missed something. Went on Apple website to double check. And there it is, 2.5GHz is the high end model:eek: Next I check the HD, and it is indeed a 250GB, not the 200GB.:eek: Last, VRAM, 512MB:eek:
So at this point I'm very sure this is not the base model. Check the serial # on the MBP and it doesn't match the one on the box:eek:

My respond?:confused::eek::rolleyes::p:D

Now my questions are:
What could Apple do? (Hell no! I'm not taking it back! Not over my dead body!) It's not like I stole from them, they handed it to me!

Apple is going to figure out when that poor guy out there who brought the 2.5GHz (with the serial# on the box match my MBP) but found out the MBP inside is only the base model (which will have the serial# matching my box, and my receipt). Then what would they do?

Also should I go ahead and activate the Apple Care and attach it to my MBP?

And would this be a one in a million chance? Or some more FUBAR down the road when ppl began to receive theri internet order and find the same situation, either lucky as me or mad as hell?

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
The right thing to do would be to explain the problem and return it.

My advice: keep it; not worth yours or Apples trouble to get it sorted.

Amazing luck by the way!

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Lucky you. DOn't think they can take it away from you, it was their error...I'd just play dumb for now.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Keep it and don't look back. Their fault for screwing up. Apple's fault.

Enjoy your new beast!

Made543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
The right thing to do would be to explain the problem and return it.

My advice: keep it; not worth yours or Apples trouble to get it sorted.

Amazing luck by the way!

That's what my friend said, KAMA, good thing goes to those who waited.:p

BTW, my id is the differences I made out of this deal. :D Thank you:apple:

mbrydone

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
keep it!!! Apple gouges us all for money so think of it as a gift from the apple gods lol

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
The right thing to do would be to return it. It was an honest mistake. 'Course I'd probably want to keep it too if I was in your position. They might get suspicious if you take in for repairs, and your reciept shows that its supposed to be the base model though.

ImmerKleiner

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The question would be if your AppleCare was auto-enrolled. If yes, it is registered on a different serial number than the one you would have if you needed a repair. That might be a problem.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Honestly, Apple is not going to care that one customer got 100 mHz, 50 GB, and 256 megs of VRAM more than they were supposed to. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last. I say enjoy your new MBP, you lucky devil!

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
About the AppleCare... People here are talking about your receipt and blah blah blah, it doesn't matter. If you register AppleCare to the computer's serial number, it will extend that computer's warranty. I've never had to bring a receipt in to the Apple store. EVER. That's iPods, iPhones, computers, EVERYTHING. They just type in the serial number on the product and it tells them if it's still in the warranty period.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
You're a lucky bugger ;)
Honestly I wouldn't worry about Apple flagging you with your serial or anything like that... just go ahead and register the machine/purchase applecare..

cobbe1

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Lucky you.....bastard...:D
Keep it, but make sure you send Steve a thank you card. lol

Even if you do bring it in, they probably think you are scamming them. MAybe something is wrong with macbook pro and u do a old switchoroo.

Actually I'm thinking more like that poor guy who got the base model. How's he going to explain to Apple? They'll think that he's trying to scam them! poor soul..:(

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
as long as you didn't take advantage to get what you have right now..and this is obviously an honest mistake so i suggest keep it.

for the other guy, i suggest he goes back to apple and complain. that's it!

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
The question would be if your AppleCare was auto-enrolled. If yes, it is registered on a different serial number than the one you would have if you needed a repair. That might be a problem.

As explained to me by an Apple associate: Products are only automatically enrolled in AppleCare if purchased online, otherwise you do it yourself!

:D

Congrats on the luck!

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
I would tell apple just so they know about the other guy not trying to scam them, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works legally when you pay and buy it online, apple sends it and they still *own* it, but once it is in your hands you own it. It's yours so I don't think they could legally make you exchange it even if you tell them, but again I would tell them just so they know the other guy isn't a scammer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.