Folks, Mobile Me is worth a iPhone alone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jun 9, 2008.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Take a look at this Mobile Me site. Push for the rest of us will be a tremendous help for me in my outside sales job. Being able to get updates on my calendar while on the road will be tremendous. I am getting iPhone 2 for this reason and 3G. That will change the way people work who don't have Enterprise servers. Enterprise for the common man wow that a big jump for the rest of us. I cannot wait for July 11,08.

2. island macrumors 6502

island

HUGE PROBLEM.

As of right now, .Mac doesn't allow for you to "send mail as" another e-mail address. So if you have a business like me (person@randomstore.com) and you use .Mac, any e-mails you send out say person@mac.com or me.com instead of your business name.

I hope this is one thing they fix in the future so that I can use MobileMe to the fullest as I am not trying to confuse clients with 2 different e-mail addresses just for push mail.

My 2 cents.

3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

While I don't own a business and probably won't ever, island brings up a very excellent point.

That being said, I agree, MobileMe looks like another winner for Apple. Now we just have to wait for the 2.0 FW upgrade. :)

4. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I DL'ed it earlier and watched it. Quite nice. :cool:

5. witchdrash macrumors member

It's a shame because they used to, I used to send all my e-mails from my companies address through it, but then the blocked it off so have to get to an internet cafe if I'm abroad, would be nice if they reopened it to sending as another account with a valid .mac account, would be a lot more useful.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Your point is very true, but wasn't Mobile Me aimed at consumers? I'm sure Apple would love businesses to drop MS's solution, but for now thats the standard, so it seem Apple is embracing it, and going after consumers who want similar things.

Yea, Apple should fix this issue, but I can kind of see why it wasn't on the top of their list.

7. island macrumors 6502

island

Google does it with Gmail so it's possible it might be added as a feature especially if they are going up against Exchange.

8. LAN Shark macrumors newbie

Are we over looking the $99 One-year subscription fee?

Just to be clear, annual prices start at $99.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/pricing/

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Which is roughly 27 cents a day. For most people, with what MobileMe is offering, it is a bargain and a half.

10. island macrumors 6502

island

Good point, but that's not even including the discounts places like Amazon or even buying here on the forums will get you. Perhaps $69-$79 range in certain situations. Also those with Educational discounts might get a chunk taken off.

11. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I should be able to get it for $70 with the educational discount, that is what I did for my current .mac subscription.

I just have to chuckle sometimes, when I see people saying something like "It'll cost $99 for the year", then find another way to blow the money erroneously. I guess it all comes down to priority and if value is added to a product.

Besides, MobileMe might be what I need to get the wife off of Hotmail and using an iPhone! ;)

12. LAN Shark macrumors newbie

I think that mobile me will be a great service and I will buy a subsciption as soon as it's available next month. My post was for those that might think that mobile me was a free service to be used with the iphone.

We wouldn't want any misinformation in a thread for a rumors site would we? ;)

13. stockcerts macrumors 65816

.Mac is selling on Amazon for $69.99. I wonder if you buy this if you'll convert over..?

14. dgouldin macrumors member

Well it better be worth an iPhone. At $99/yr over the 2 year term you're paying as much for it as you will your iPhone. Ridiculous.

15. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

This kinda makes me regret buying flickr like, three weeks ago.

16. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I apologize for misreading your post. :eek:

No...That...Can't...Be. Nobody EVER gets mislead by reading stuff posted here. Just ask any of the people who sold their 1st Gen iPhones in anticipation of the 3G model, they'll back me up, honest! :D

17. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The site says dotMac users get upgraded for free. I'm buying a dotMac family pack on Amazon for $125 right now. Perfect!

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, they sent out emails today regarding the switch. You'll be able to keep the @mac.com as well. The same account will work with @me.com, but I just like @mac.com so much better. If you'd like a copy of the letter about switching, I can PM the text to you. It doesn't sound like a big deal. Just something that will happen server-side.

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I have a noob question.

I get an email address with this, right?
    I really hate having names like... "JBaker122586"

So will I be able to sign up with, for instance, "jbaker@me.com" if I pick it up right when it's launched?

20. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Yes.
    Try having a name like DSmith. :D
    If nobody else has it, then yes. Keep in mind though that Apple is moving all .mac subscribers over to .me for free, so you might want to check pronto. You can do a trial version first to check it out.

21. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

To be honest, its nothing that special. Sidekicks have had instant OTA sync sense the beginning.

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

So, let me get this straight...

If I but a .mac family pack from Amazon right now for $125, and then split that with 4 friends for $25 each... then we'll all be seamlessly upgraded to mobileme for free on July 11... right?

I think I'm about to add to cart...

23. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, they sent out an email to .mac subscribers stating just that today.

24. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Perfect. .mac family pack now purchased. :)

Find 4 friends, save $75 on the first year of MobileME. Sounds good.:cool: