Following Launch of New App, Spectrum Users Can Get Apple TV for $7.50 per Month

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Charter Spectrum subscribers can sign up to get an Apple TV for $7.50 per month following the release of the new Spectrum TV app for the 4K Apple TV, the company announced today.

Customers who want a 4K Apple TV as part of their charter subscriptions will need to pay $7.50 per month plus tax over a period of 24 months, making the total cost of the device somewhere around $180. That is the standard price for a 4K Apple TV purchased outright from Apple.

[​IMG]

The Apple TV 4K is being offered in lieu of a traditional cable box, and with the Spectrum app, which was released yesterday, it allows Charter Spectrum subscribers to access all of their cable content.

The Spectrum TV app offers access to live channels and tens of thousands of OnDemand programs, as well as all of the other content that an Apple TV has to offer.

Charter's Spectrum TV app and the Apple TV 4K work with the Zero Sign-on feature, designed to let Charter Spectrum users automatically sign into apps that require cable authentication when connected to accompanying Charter Spectrum internet services.

[​IMG]

Charter is the first cable operator in the United States to offer support for Zero Sign-on. Charter says that when an Apple TV is first set up in a Spectrum household, it will detect the Spectrum customer's broadband network, automatically signing them in to the Spectrum TV app and other supported apps without the need to enter a username or password.

To use the Spectrum TV app and take advantage of Zero Sign-on, customers will need to subscribe to both Spectrum TV and internet services.

Article Link: Following Launch of New App, Spectrum Users Can Get Apple TV for $7.50 per Month

2. charlien, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019

charlien macrumors 6502

3. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

anyone liking the app?

I know the company in general stinks but I am hoping for my mom, she has gotten good at the Apple TV but switching to spectrum digital box results in tech support calls to me!

4. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Now they just need to let non-Charter customers subscribe (and become customers).

5. charlien macrumors 6502

I used it this morning and like it a lot.

6. coachgq macrumors member

What’s to keep people from outside their service area to become subscribers? Besides the 0 sign in, any internet should do?

7. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

So is Spectrum TV an app or a service? And is there an additional fee beyond the $7.50 per month? I have DirecTV, but use Spectrum for my cable. I might be willing to try out their service if it's just the $7.50 per month.

8. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

"it allows Charter Spectrum subscribers to access all of their cable content"
    No, you have to be a Spectrum TV and internet subscriber.

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

I think everyone is reading this wrong. I think they are saying if you have Spectrum, you can now "rent to own" an Apple TV for 7.50 a month, and the total comes out to how much it costs anyhow to buy it outright over a period of months. So you probably have to pay for Spectrum service and an extra $7.50 for the Apple TV monthly.

10. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

They will know when you are on their network. Looking at the app, it looks like there is some content that is available anywhere and some that requires you to be on their network.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2019 ---
    It looks like you have to pay for a Spectrum TV subscription separately. I just tried to login with my Spectrum internet account and it says "Use of this app requires a Spectrum TV subscription." :(

11. Trusteft macrumors 6502

Trusteft

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I've been waiting a long time for this app. Returning my cable box this weekend.

13. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

In my area, you would have to buy their TV Select plan for $45 per month, or in my case $90 per month for TV and internet service.

14. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

15. Diane B macrumors regular

I installed last night on my ATV gen 4, not 4K. Like it a lot—I had persistent occasional pixelation and stuttering and tech never found issue—have not had a problem since switching to app. However, I have had Spectrum app for Ipad for a good while (maybe 1 1/2 years or more) and this looks and acts the same. When I had pixelation, etc issues (which very occasionally would make TV unable to be viewed) I would switch to my Ipad Spectrum app which was totally clear. I have not yet installed it on our other gen 4 ATV but assume it will be the same—no more switching HDMI etc when I want to use ATV. I’ve been waiting for this app as I did Amazon Prime Video app LOL.

16. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Been doing the same thing with YouTube TV. The app is built in to my smart tv. It's cheaper than cable, and has free DVR with a fairly good movie selection. Value is still questionable, but it's cheaper than cable.

17. jacephoenix macrumors newbie

Does it have DVR functionality?

18. apolloa macrumors G4

I am a huge supporter of cord cutting, but live in the UK but we have a decent selection of services I guess. No where near as much as the US.
    But we don’t want the cost of these apps being as much as the cable if satellite services they are meant to be replacing. These costs can add up..

19. Diane B macrumors regular

Charter Spectrum is only in some US areas but I did read of one cable operator in Switzerland using ATVs and one other European country with one of their cable operators.

20. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

Here's what the basic plan looks like in my area. This is for the service, internet, and their 'HD box'. Looks like it's the same price they are charging for the ATV, $7.50.

Attached Files:

21. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

The Apple TV remote will drive you mad. Whoever's idea it was to put that stupid little trackpad on it should be fired.

22. britboyj macrumors 6502a

This would violate most cable company's municipal exclusivity agreements in a lot of areas.

23. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Not that I can find.

24. whoisyourdaddy macrumors regular

I would assume but really want to ask before delving into this offer; Will switching out with all ATV 4 that you own alleviate you from having to pay that ridiculous DTV box fee?

25. Cublah09 macrumors newbie

Cublah09

So I’ve been using the app, how do you get to a channel by number, for example if I’m on channel 4 how do I get to channel 404 without scrolling through all the channels?