Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The previous Canada story has been updated to reflect many people's observation that the employment listing does not necessarily reflect the coming of Apple Stores in Canada.

As weel, one reader forwarded an email sent to Education Partners providing some confirmation of support for OS 9 into 2003:

To accommodate the last 25% who still wish to buy their Macs with OS9 installed as the default OS, during this process, Apple will continue to offer our Education customers some configurations of the current eMac, iBook, and CRT iMac product lines that will boot into Mac OS 9 until June 2003.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Groovsonic
So I guess this means no earthshattering upgrades to the Logic Board or Processor in January after all?

y not, 'cos i didn't expect a PowerPC970 in and iBook, emac or the crt imac in january, did you? some of u people really need to think before u write. not trying to be rude, just honest.

in saying that i am not trying to say there will be a major revision just they may still be on.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
easy, there, big fella

No need to slam anyone's opinion. I think he's right, I don't think this speaks to highly of Apple's determination to progress on both the OS and hardware fronts.

Dave K

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2002
Re: Followup on Canada and OS 9 Booting

"...some configurations of the current eMac, iBook, and CRT iMac product lines..."

AKA: "Those current high end models that get feature bumped to the bottom of the heap"

After all, does anyone expect the CRT iMac to get an upgrade after new years?

This strikes me as one of those: "Just in case a Mac dies before the end of the school year, you'll still be able to get a replacement" notices...

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Re: Followup on Canada and OS 9 Booting

Originally posted by Dave K

AKA: "Those current high end models that get feature bumped to the bottom of the heap"

After all, does anyone expect the CRT iMac to get an upgrade after new years?

This strikes me as one of those: "Just in case a Mac dies before the end of the school year, you'll still be able to get a replacement" notices...

I think dave is right on the money here.

Go view the apple education store, they're still selling a quicksilver power mac as the "low end" model.

So i would assume they'd just hang on to the old models as the "low end" for education customers with OS 9 bootability as a selling point.

cbrantly

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Updating EVERY product line

I am reading this completely different than the rest of you. To me this sounds like Apple will be updating all of their product lines in Janury and these updates WON'T support OS 9 booting.

This letter was sent to EDUCATION partners and it says that Apple will continue to sell CURRENT configurations of the emac, CRT iMac, and iBook to EDUCATION customers until June. To me this says that these older OS9 booting machines will NOT be available in the retail chain.

Steve isn't one to back down from what he says. He has already declared OS 9 dead to developers and he has told consumers that OS 9 booting will not be supported by new hardware after the end of the year. Don't expect him to back down from this because of Quark or 25% of education customers.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Re: Updating EVERY product line

Originally posted by cbrantly
I am reading this completely different than the rest of you. To me this sounds like Apple will be updating all of their product lines in Janury and these updates WON'T support OS 9 booting.

if you recall back when steve made the announcement he said, all products shipping after jan 1 plus newer upgraded one will not boot in OS 9. so that means even current modes that ship after jan 1 will not boot in OS9.

anyone have the video so they can quote steve and stop anyone expecting apple to upgrade their entire line-up on jan 1.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
The "death of the CRT".

"Free iTools, your e-mail for life" (notice how it never said FREE FOR LIFE, often misquoted).

Etc., etc., I could go on like this for awhile, but you get the idea. Things change, stuff happens. Eventually, new systems won't be able to boot into OS 9. If you still need Quark (or whatever), and they still haven't updated their software, buy an older model or don't upgrade. I feel bad for those in this postion, but unfortunetly Big Business come into play. Whether it's Apple or Quark or whoever everbody's just out to make a buck.

Then again, how many of you felt the need to upgrade from version 4.x to 5.

Quark then gets to say "see, Apple users aren't buying our products anymore". Duh.

------------------------------------------

"This is our most frequently asked question/request. However we do not feel that there is enough of a demand for the small effort required".

cbrantly

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Update all products

If you recall back when steve made the announcement he said, all products shipping after jan 1 plus newer upgraded one will not boot in OS 9. so that means even current modes that ship after jan 1 will not boot in OS9.

I recall Steve saying that all new products released after Jan 1 would not boot into OS 9. Apple is NOT going to do something to disable OS 9 booting on currently shipping machines. They just aren't going to take the time and resources to enable OS 9 booting on any new machines.

You may be right that Apple won't be upgrading all of their product lines, but from the wording of the letter sent to Educational partners it sounds like new iBooks and eMacs will be released that WON'T boot into OS 9.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Updating EVERY product line

Originally posted by Mr Jobs

if you recall back when steve made the announcement he said, all products shipping after jan 1 plus newer upgraded one will not boot in OS 9. so that means even current modes that ship after jan 1 will not boot in OS9.

anyone have the video so they can quote steve and stop anyone expecting apple to upgrade their entire line-up on jan 1.

As cbrantly said... they specifically stated thatt all NEW machines after Jan 1 2003 will not be able to boot 9. It doesn't affect shipping products.

Here is the press release: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/sep/10macosx.html

APPLE EXPO, PARIS—September 10, 2002—Apple® today announced that starting in January 2003, all new Mac® models will only boot into Mac® OS X as the start-up operating system, though they will retain the ability to run most Mac OS 9 applications through Apple’s bundled “Classic” software.

arn

Re: Followup on Canada and OS 9 Booting

Originally posted by Macrumors
To accommodate the last 25% who still wish to buy their Macs with OS9 installed as the default OS, during this process, Apple will continue to offer our Education customers some configurations of the current eMac, iBook, and CRT iMac product lines that will boot into Mac OS 9 until June 2003.

So 75% of the education market is running OSX as its default OS? That's way better than the progress they've made with the general public (less than 20% I think). Our agencies' Macs are running:

OS8-9 - (10)
OSX - (3)

Those numbers aren't likely to change until we buy a new machine. Even with that, the new machine (if OSX booting only) would most likely go to someone running OSX & their machine would be reformatted to OS9 as we have one critical app that won't function in Classic. Sure, there's a native version of it out now, but the power's that be are leaving well enough alone right now $$-wise.... - j

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.