Fonts Not Displaying On Other Computers. Embed Fonts In App's Resource Folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Darkroom, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

i just noticed that my app's fonts seem not to register on other computers. i'm not using the normal system font, instead i'm using Myriad Pro and Myriad Pro Bold... they show up on my computer, but not on others... the other computers don't have that font installed (but i was under the impression that Myrid Pro was installed with 10.5?)...

is there a way to embed fonts in my app's resource folder? and is that something i should have done while assuming that not all Macs will have that font installed?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's not on my computer, and I have 10.5 installed. The complete Myriad Pro font family can be downloaded from Linotype for about £600; individual fonts are about £25 each. I think adding it to your application might _not_ be a good idea.

3. Darkroom thread starter Guest

Darkroom

it doesn't seem to work to embed the fonts into the app. or i'm doing it wrong because there must be a way to do this... i've included "MyriadPro-Regular" and "MyriadPro-Bold" .otf files (fonts) in my app's resource folder, but my call for the font:

Code:
    [someString setFont:[NSFont fontWithName:@"MyriadPro-Regular" size:14]];

seems to be searching the HD > Library > Fonts folder only, not finding the font (i removed them for testing purposes) and than chooses a substitute for the missing font... is there anyway to tell the app that the font is included in the resource folder and not on the user's system?

4. Darkroom thread starter Guest

Darkroom

oh... yeah it's probably best not to embed $50 worth of fonts in my app... they must have come with my Adobe CS3 then... humm... so how do i know which fonts are "safe" fonts, like those that come installed with 10.5? would it be the fonts that have the extension of .ttf and not .otf?

[edit] nevermind, i found the list of fonts that come installed with 10.5 here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1642