Food, Glorious Food

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scepticalscribe, Mar 10, 2019.

1. anika200 macrumors member

Yep everything is bigger in Texas, even the BS I suppose.

2. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Baked some biscuits for a friend…

German, spicy biscuits. A bit like Speculaas… but since it isn't Christmas I'll call them Spicy Biscuits. :)

Spices.jpeg

Biscuits.jpeg

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

What was the breakfast-for-two after the candle light dinner? ;):D

4. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Hahaha. At this stage of the relationship, 19 years and counting, a kiss at the door as we head off for the daily commute.

OTOH, we always have candlelight at night. :) Soothes and relaxes the eyes and mind.

5. Zenithal, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019

Zenithal macrumors G3

Is it me or has Storck changed the flavoring of their products in the last 30-40 years? This past weekend I was reminded why I dislike kaffir lime leaves when dried. Disgusting.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2019 ---
    Very nice. I usually pack some rock salt at the bottom to keep them crisp. Being bored earlier in the week I tried out a modified vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe I found online because I'd tried a vegan chocolate chip cookie a month ago and was surprised at the chew and crispiness.

I consider myself a decent cook, but I've never been able to make a good batch of them that I like. I've probably tried a hundred recipes over the years.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2019 ---
    If anyone's curious:

3/4 cup white unbleached flour; King Arthur preferred
    1/4 cup fine ground traditional oatmeal; It should be fine and silky
    1/4 teaspoon smoked sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda; the fresher the better
    1/4 cup white sugar; avoid caster here
    1/8 cup coconut sugar
    1/8 cup light brown
    1/4 cup good cocoa powder
    1/4 cup chocolate chips; prefer to chop up a baking bar. At the very minimium use Ghirardelli unless Guittard is available.
    2-4 tbsp of your preferred non-dairy milk
    2-3 tbsp of oil; I used unrefined virgin coconut oil
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract; Past gas mark 2, the majority of flavors are burned off so you can get away with using vanillin powder or other imitation.

If you choose to omit the cocoa, reduce your fluid and oil. I like bars of chocolate because chips use an extra emulsifier oil. So even high end Valhrona chips will keep shape, whereas their ovals will melt. But stick to the bars and save a few bucks.

Refrigerate for a few hours after mixing together. Preheat stove to gas mark 2 (325*F) and bake for 11-13 minutes. Leave on tray after removing them because these cookies will have different "feet" compared to traditional cookies.

6. OlgaLuciaT macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Burgundy Peppercorn filet-steak tips, (Cooked medium) with a brown rice pilaf and slight amount of fresh cream mixed with in the rice for a creamy texture. [The huge difference being with the steak tips were purchased fresh from my local butcher emporium, and the flavor is outstanding].

2BBC544F-DABD-4122-8BFC-21CF2E621ED0.jpeg 7F99E9C8-243E-4C16-A945-B3CB8177C501.jpeg

8. Zenithal macrumors G3

Is that the organic brown rice from Costco? It's outstanding with great flavor. Wine marinated red meat is delicious. It complements the flavor of the fat, especially if it's grass fed beef.

9. Scepticalscribe thread starter macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I have yet to meet a cuisine that has mastered the art of cooking and serving French beans like French culture, restaurants and people.

10. Scepticalscribe thread starter macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Eggs Benedict (served with grapefruit juice, apricot juice, sparkling mineral water, and espresso).

11. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Dessert for today, well it is Sunday, so a lazy indulgent day…

Clafoutis.

Clafoutis March 2019.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2019 ---
    Eggs Benedict is certainly one of the best things to come out of the USA. :)

12. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Looked through the recipe and trained all day.
    I can proudly declare that am prepared "for that day"
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2019 ---
    Simply gorgeous!
    Have to have some chocolates right now...

13. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Oh t's chocolate 24/7 here. :)
    Nothing less than 85%… and preferably Montezuma's 100%.

14. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

At the moment my favorites are:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Zenithal, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019

Zenithal macrumors G3

I've bought this before here in the states. Think it's Hungarian? I bought a dark bar of mint and some kind of citrus. For its price range, it punches around Lindt levels of quality.

There's some decent chocolate coming out of Eastern Europe these days. Just need to buy the bars and try them out. There was, at one point, a finger bar similar to the European Aero, but of a higher quality. I haven't seen it in a good 7 years.

For cheap-o snacking chocolate, I do like Ritter Sport. I'll eat any chocolate so as long as it doesn't have praline cream in it.

On the other hand, I am known to make a very tasty traditional praline cream when the need arises.

16. Scepticalscribe thread starter macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Am in full agreement with you, but am able to lower myself to accept 70%........

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Heidi Chocolate is Romanian. Juerg Laederach, a passionate Swiss Chocolatier and Entrepreneur helped them at the very beginning and taught them the secret of the Swiss Art of Making Chocolate.

18. user_xyz macrumors regular

user_xyz

19. Scepticalscribe thread starter macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Purchased several boxes of different varieties of Roshen chocolate, though I had some slight difficulty locating the dark version (or versions).

20. Zenithal macrumors G3

Lately I've enjoyed cutting some cheeses and putting them in a small cast iron skillet and using a kitchen blowtorch to melt it all. Let it set a little over 3-4 minutes, toast some bread, slice it up and consume it on the toast. It's almost gelatinous. And as I post this, Wolverhampton score a goal to equalize with United.

It's buttery and rich. Nicer than melted cheese and nicer than a cold or room temperature state. Breakfast was a cut blend of English cheddar, Stilton, Manchego, Port Salut and some other stuff. Made in a large pan for two, and consumed with fruit and fresh toasted bread bought yesterday.

They do a decent coffee flavored one, don't they?

21. Zenithal macrumors G3

Oh, right, the trick is not to focus on one area too much when using the torch. There is a point for cheese where the fat content will separate from the protein. You want to avoid this. If this happens, you can still eat it if you want, I'd toss it out.

22. BrettAP98 macrumors member

BrettAP98

Loaded Cheddarwurst Hotdog loaded with toppings. I'm easy.

[​IMG]

23. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

My favorite brekkie!
    75420EDA-09C3-4A48-BF3C-0DBC675C2017.jpeg

24. Scepticalscribe, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019

Scepticalscribe thread starter macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

A serious dinner in a splendid (and apparently quite well known) restaurant in Kiev tonight: A platter of four different types of caviar (sturgeon, trout, herring, pike) to start - served with stunning homemade brown bread, and blini.

Pickled herring.

A salad of roasted parsnip, beetroot, potato, carrot dressed with a honey dressing that included sesame seeds.

Serious borscht.

Some strange dish of dark dumplings stuffed with what they described as calf er......

Potatoes stuffed with something best not described but horribly delicious.

Classic chicken Kiev.

A bottle of Chablis Premier Cru, and several bottles of Borjomi (Georgian sparkling mineral water).

Espresso (and recioto) for me, green tea and cognac for my most agreeable American dining companion.

Sublime.

25. millerj123 macrumors 65816

My son had a challenge to get a picture with a live lobster. $30 for three of us to have a meal of fresh lobster.

We went to two stores before calling ahead to find somewhere with live tanks.

This weekend was my wife's birthday, and she asked for slow smoked pork ribs. I'm still working on finishing those.