Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agree but you wouldn't want to be cooking them this week!
I often prefer the idea of chips to the reality.

There is much truth to both observations, I must agree.

Sweet Pickles
Sweet Potatoes / Yams
Apple Juice
Braunschweiger
Figs
Blue Cheese and Limburger Cheese
Miracle Whip

There is likely more ... :eek:

With the possible exception of Miracle Whip (never could understand the popularity of that myself, although I don't dislike it per se, it is just that there are better products), almost everything else on your list I must admit I rather like.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
What on earth is miracle whip?

LINK
MW.jpg

Shudder ......

Reactions: Gutwrench

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
What on earth is miracle whip?

It's marketed as a salad dressing, but I don't know that anybody actually puts it on salad. It looks vaguely mayonnaise-ish, and is sometimes used in ways one might use mayonnaise, but both the texture and flavor are very different. Instead of oil and egg, it's primarily oil, it's both tart and sweet, more ketchup-like in texture. In the US it's a very divisive condiment. I like it and I like mayo, although I would not necessarily think of them as interchangeable.

Reactions: millerj123

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
There is much truth to both observations, I must agree.

With the possible exception of Miracle Whip (never could understand the popularity of that myself, although I don't dislike it per se, it is just that there are better products), almost everything else on your list I must admit I rather like.

Growing up most of my family did. I apparently, had to be different. :D

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Mystery meats…

Hotdogs… Burgers… etc.

If people knew what kind of "meats" go in there.

Mechanically Recovered Meat. What a godawful process.

*shudder*

Edit: I mean, junk food, ****** industrial mass consumption sludge.
Not food you know the provenance of or prepared yourself.

Oy! I'm perfectly content with eating Soylent Green because I don't know what goes in it or how it's made. This is a case of ignorance is bliss. If I did know, I would probably turn vegetarian.

Coffee - I hate the taste and the smell, I find it disgusting but pretty much everyone in the world lives by it except for me.
Aye. I can't stomach the stuff myself, although I do like the smell. I prefer a good cup of tea.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
I'm one of those guys that will try anything...once. Self-kudos to me. But I reserve the right to not like the thing and not to have to justify my decision to others.

Sushi, nah.
Kale, way nah (tastes like dirt to me)
Brisket, nah (too fatty)
Cottage cheese, oh cripes nah.

Kimchi, good. Fried octopus, good. Hackepeter (German), good

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Boy, there sure are a lot of picky eaters here. The only thing I really dislike are green beans. Don't care for them at all. Virtually everything that the posters in this thread have posted that they dislike are on my like list. Then again, I'm pretty adventurous where eating is concerned. I've eaten my way around the world, from fancy Hong Kong restaurants to Achmed's goat cart in Cairo. Love all types of sushi, (with good, fresh uni being a favourite) and just about anything else.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Aubergine being in almost everything vegetarian is probably the one reason I could never fully go veggie!
Hmm, interesting. While I do love to eat them, it’s certainly not a requirement to use in vegetarian food. I’ve gone weeks or months without eating aubergine. Over reliance on the same ingredients suggests a lack of imagination, an uncaring attitude towards food without meat ingredients, or a passionless relationship with food. Admittedly those first two are fairly common among cooks in regions without a strong tradition of meatless cooking, but even then there are always exceptions. I’ve eaten many exquisite meals ranging from street food to Michelin starred, all without meat or aubergine.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Boy, there sure are a lot of picky eaters here. The only thing I really dislike are green beans. Don't care for them at all. Virtually everything that the posters in this thread have posted that they dislike are on my like list. Then again, I'm pretty adventurous where eating is concerned. I've eaten my way around the world, from fancy Hong Kong restaurants to Achmed's goat cart in Cairo. Love all types of sushi, (with good, fresh uni being a favourite) and just about anything else.

Yes. Agreed.

Actually, I've yet to meet an Asian cuisine (or Italian, or French regional specialty) I dislike.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Ah, aubergine (eggplant to Our Transatlantic Cousins) I really like, - especially roasted - and could scoop or spoon babaganoush straight from whatever bowl or container it inhabited when I come across it.
The odd thing is that I don’t dislike it as such, but prefer it in small amounts and diced into quite small pieces - when I go out to eat I tend to find it is usually a key component of the vegetarian options available (eg veggie lasagne) and usually left in quite large chunks! Over time it’s put me off more and more

Hmm, interesting. While I do love to eat them, it’s certainly not a requirement to use in vegetarian food. I’ve gone weeks or months without eating aubergine. Over reliance on the same ingredients suggests a lack of imagination, an uncaring attitude towards food without meat ingredients, or a passionless relationship with food. Admittedly those first two are fairly common among cooks in regions without a strong tradition of meatless cooking, but even then there are always exceptions. I’ve eaten many exquisite meals ranging from street food to Michelin starred, all without meat or aubergine.
It seems to be one of if not the main vegetarian stand in for a usually meat based dish, at least where I have gone and opted for vegetarian food. Again, how it’s prepared is also a factor in putting me off! I have had food that hasn’t had it in of course, but it just seems overly prevalent for something I’m not keen on :(

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Sweet pickles work very well in Scandinavian and German cheese platters with artisan - and robust - hard cheeses and rye or black bread.

Not so well elsewhere.
I’m open to trying them, and I still do on occasion, always hoping to be surprised. I will absolutely try them should I find myself in Europe or Scandinavia presented with such a tasty platter. So far, however, the ones I’ve tried have ranged from “utterly vile” to “fine but I don’t want another.”
[doublepost=1530647472][/doublepost]
It seems to be one of if not the main vegetarian stand in for a usually meat based dish, at least where I have gone and opted for vegetarian food. Again, how it’s prepared is also a factor in putting me off! I have had food that hasn’t had it in of course, but it just seems overly prevalent for something I’m not keen on :(

As much as I enjoy them, I too would tire quickly of eating them at every meal.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Sweet pickles work very well in Scandinavian and German cheese platters with artisan - and robust - hard cheeses and rye or black bread.

Not so well elsewhere.
If that’s what in the UK we call gherkins then I am definitely a fan - absolutely delicious even the slightly dubious ones in the McDonald’s burgers! :D

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
But German sweet pickles are very different from American sweet pickles.

True, first of all, they're nocturnal.
[doublepost=1530647896][/doublepost]

I'm always surprised, but I think there's more picky eaters than not. We have a high concentration of foodie friends, one is a chef! So he's always up for trying anything / everything, but we've been out a few times with a slightly larger group (ugh ...), some friends-of-friends and there's always a few picky folks and usually one extremely picky person, who gets into all kinds of deep dive questions, then special orders, then inspects the food like it's a crime scene - one particular nut job (ex of a BIL) would *sniff* things (I'm surprised my wife didn't deck her at some point ...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.