Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I was just curious if anyone had data on the distribution of iPhone models based on people’s income and/or net worth.

A millionaire who maybe uses his iPhone for banking tasks, maybe has important contacts, travels a lot, and is basically living the life, would probably have an iPhone X

Adding post #13 to the OP simply to avoid confusion of my thoughts. Hope this is ok.

Thank you all for your replies, but I just want to make sure I made my thoughts clear.

I'm not saying that the iPhone X is for people who make a certain income or have a certain net worth at all. Anyone who can afford it, can use it, and obviously you don't need more than the monthly payment to get one.

What I AM asking, if there's data out there, is what is the smartphone choice of millionaires? Meaning which smartphone do millionaires buy most?

MY GUESS: IPHONE X

Last edited:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Everybody I know who can comfortably afford an iPhone X and is interested has an iPhone X.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Maybe, but most people in the US buy their phones on payments now so it's just a few dollars more a month compared to an 8/8+. I think the bigger factor is if they want a smaller screen or to deal with The Notch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was just curious if anyone had data on the distribution of iPhone models based on people’s income and/or net worth.

Even if there was data, do you think it would really be accurate? You can have those who have minimal credit and no income that can be carrying around an iPhone X or you might have those who are very wealthy that carry an iPhone X. There really is no _data_ to prove specifically who uses this phone.

A millionaire who maybe uses his iPhone for banking tasks, maybe has important contacts, travels a lot, and is basically living the life, would probably have an iPhone X

A college student, who has decent credit and uses his phone for banking tasks, maybe has important contacts, travels somewhat and is living a basic life, would probably have an iPhone X _if they wanted it_.

See the point? It doesn’t have to be for a millionaire or a college student, anyone can purchase the iPhone X and it doesn’t make it a status level.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Maybe, but most people in the US buy their phones on payments now so it's just a few dollars more a month compared to an 8/8+. I think the bigger factor is if they want a smaller screen or to deal with The Notch.
Yep. Anyone can have an X, whether they make 250k a year or $11 an hour. There is no such thing as exclusivity in phones anymore because anyone can have the top of the line with a job and minimal credit.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Yep. Anyone can have an X, whether they make 250k a year or $11 an hour. There is no such thing as exclusivity in phones anymore because anyone can have the top of the line with a job and minimal credit.

Honestly it’s hilarious how people try to associate phones with wealth or class.

I had a friend who used to have top of the line iPhones, their family always had the newest Samsung’s (partly because there’s so much pressure to own the best, welcome to Silicon Valley :rolleyes:).

Didn’t stop t-mobile from turning off the service every other month when they hadn’t paid the bill.

Also: I’ve seen literally every carrier at this point offer every iPhone, including the X at half off. You can’t assume everybody pays full price at launch for their devices.

Last edited:

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Warren Buffett doesn't use one although he was GIVEN one.....(of course he owns 5% of apple shares so there is that)

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Thank you all for your replies, but I just want to make sure I made my thoughts clear.

I'm not saying that the iPhone X is for people who make a certain income or have a certain net worth at all. Anyone who can afford it, can use it, and obviously you don't need more than the monthly payment to get one.

What I AM asking, if there's data out there, is what is the smartphone choice of millionaires? Meaning which smartphone do millionaires buy most?

@aakshey @BasicGreatGuy @Hastings101 @nviz22 @Relentless Power @tonybarnaby @Clix Pix @mrkramer @acorntoy @Fthree @rui no onna @Newton's Apple

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010

@aakshey @BasicGreatGuy @Hastings101 @nviz22 @Relentless Power @tonybarnaby @Clix Pix @mrkramer @acorntoy @Fthree @rui no onna

Eh, I think your overestimating the interest. Like Rui No Onna said, I’ve seen a good amount of wealthy people who don’t give a crap about their electronics. They have other interest.

I’ve seen wealthy people do their work on 13 year old windows laptops that takes 30 minutes to load the home screen. It’s just like everybody else: if they like tech, they’ll likely get the best, if they don’t, there’s a lot more out there that you can spend your money on, no matter how much you might have. Just because they have more money doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll gravitate to the more expensive phone by default.

Reactions: rafark and apolloa

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
When I visited London, there weren’t many iPhone Xs there. And apart from the few people I know personally, I’ve seen just one iPhone X with somebody in India apart from at the airport.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m actually curious... What benefit would there be to have this data?

Thats a great question and wondered this also. Being that the data actually does not exist, I don’t think it would be a benefit, but if the data was available, it probably would be just an interesting read at best.

Reactions: timeconsumer

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Guessing most of them are still using a 6S or similar.

"You don't get rich by writin' checks."

There are probably people in your neighborhood living in very modest homes that clearly need work or maintenance done on the exterior, who are driving 10 year old Camrys, who are sitting on several million dollars.

Reactions: 0002378 and apolloa

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Guessing most of them are still using a 6S or similar.

"You don't get rich by writin' checks."

There are probably people in your neighborhood living in very modest homes that clearly need work or maintenance done on the exterior, who are driving 10 year old Camrys, who are sitting on several million dollars.

I was referring mostly to flashier younger millionaires who are maybe considered new money.

We all know the frugal millionaire next door probably has the 6S lol.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I've seen plenty of wealthy folk with unusual phones - such as Vertu or Ferrari/Lamborghini versions of whatever brand Androids - I think it largely comes down to what they are comfortable with...but there's likely a large proportion of high-end earners with iPhone X's as they are a flagship - but with great wealth, spending a grand is nothing, so they could and likely would change phones whenever somethoing takes their fancy...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Adding post #13 to the OP simply to avoid confusion of my thoughts. Hope this is ok.

In one word NO! Most rich people don’t waste their money on iPhones, they’ll have something that they get on with and it works and then keep it for ages, they spend their money on luxury holidays, big houses, cars, yachts, etc etc.
I work for a circa 40 billion dollar corporation, I haven’t seen a single person with an X, my sister earns a lot and she has a 6S, she’s the last person to buy an X, and I don’t know anyone who she knows who has an X.

So your barking up the wrong tree if your opinion is that of rich people in society all buy iPhone X’s, it is not and never will be a status symbol or a symbol of wealth end off.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.