Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
In all seriousness who doesn't have access to $1,000 of credit? Whether or not it's a good idea to buy a $1,000 phone on credit is another discussion, but for the vast majority of people, if they want it bad enough, the money isn't a material barrier. As others have noted, often the wealthiest in society are the 'skinflints' still using a 5s, not spending frivolously is how they stay rich ;)

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
AT&T monthly installment plan was $30 for 30 months with upgrade option to pay off balance, or after a year - I think. Less than my Note 8 plan was. I avoid finance fees and not carrying balance forward has been freeing carrying debt with interest is what will hurt.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I believe @rugmankc is suggesting to Google specifically your question, not a word.

Just tried and got mixed results. Seems like richer people prefer iPhones according to what I saw but doesn't specify which model.

Also found some stuff on what billionaires like and it's some fancy "unhackable" phone

But I don't think most run of the mill millionaires who live low key lives are at too great of a risk of getting hacked idk

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yes, Anything---phrase it how you wish--

"which smartphone do wealthy people buy"

as an example

i think people buy what they want in most cases. the high end phones are not that the far apart. if you are budget restricted you will buy what you can afford that best meets your needs--

i don't see any phone as a status symbol. 99.99% percent of people could care less what phone someone has---imo

35-40 years ago when i sold phones for Radio Shack at 1700.00 a pop, they may have been a status symbol--
[doublepost=1526858222][/doublepost]
Just tried and got mixed results. Seems like richer people prefer iPhones according to what I saw but doesn't specify which model.

Also found some stuff on what billionaires like and it's some fancy "unhackable" phone

But I don't think most run of the mill millionaires who live low key lives are at too great of a risk of getting hacked idk

not sure why you care OP----:)

Reactions: 0002378

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Most are on carrier installment plans. Don't need to be wealthy for the same cost as daily Starbucks.

Yeah, I see a lot folks, including college students, dropping 2.25 to 7.00 several days a week at Starbucks. None rich, at least not evident by their cars. I can't figure out that spending pattern myself. But, that is easily more than a top end smartphone would cost per month on terms----

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Yeah, I see a lot folks, including college students, dropping 2.25 to 7.00 several days a week at Starbucks. None rich, at least not evident by their cars. I can't figure out that spending pattern myself. But, that is easily more than a top end smartphone would cost per month on terms----
You're absolutely right.

Reactions: rugmankc

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

I don't think the iPhone X is a status symbol.

In fact if you see it on the road or your local department store I still probably wouldn't consider it a status symbol, such as a luxury car or fancy suit. I'm pretty sure once can lease a fancy car for a few hundred bucks a month, and maybe buy the suit on a credit card.

To me, a status symbol largely resides on what you do, and if you see them, I still probably wouldn't think much of it. Historically, people get impressed with doctors but there's so many of them at your local hospital right?

Find me a tech entrepreneur who sold his company for 7 figures or more. To me, that's impressive.

Back to the thread,

I guess there's not really much data/info if any on what I'm asking. It's fine.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I heard a wealthy person has an iPhone 4. They save on stuff like phones to save money.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
It amazes me people buy expensive phones and don't actually use them to make a income, but that's the Selfie/FB/Insta/Wattsap time we live in.

I buy and sell and use whatever is a good buy, currently a X but have had a 8, X, 8 plus, another X in last few months, and probably a 8 tomorrow. "shrugs"

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Yeah with phones like galaxy S9+, upcoming Note 9, there’s a lot of competition for people to choose other expensive productivity/business/leasure phones.

There’s no such statistic what phones are purchased based on monetary income. The wealthy invest in both Apple, Google and Samsung stocks.

You Speculation is as accurate as anyone else’s

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It amazes me people buy expensive phones and don't actually use them to make a income, but that's the Selfie/FB/Insta/Wattsap time we live in.

I buy and sell and use whatever is a good buy, currently a X but have had a 8, X, 8 plus, another X in last few months, and probably a 8 tomorrow. "shrugs"

Maybe a millionaire buys the iPhone X because it helps him be more efficient at tasks like banking? How? I don’t know but maybe the form factor and big screen or OLED display, etc.

So then maybe that’s a good buy for him or her bc He’s not only using it for taking selfies at the local Taco Truck for social media lol

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
For the wealthy people, my guess is that they would pick any device from any manufacturer for their liking. For the technical people, I'm pretty sure the majority pick an Android. Out of all my tech jobs, pretty much everyone uses an Android.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I agree with the posts stating with zero interest payment plans many people across the economic spectrum could afford the X. Now for me as I get older, my need for the newest and the best has started to subside. I bought an 8 right out of the gate and price was one of several factors for me. However I find myself using a SE almost daily. For what that phone can do and it’s price point I can see myself sticking with a lower price iPhone in the future. I could afford a X but as my income has grown as I have gotten older I find myself actually getting cheaper in a lot of areas in my life.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
1) It doesn’t matter
2) iPhone customers generally have higher average incomes than other smartphone owners on a global basis (this has been the case for years simply because iPhones are more expensive)
3) It is possible that iPhonenX customers have a slightly higher average income than the average smartphone owner, but in probably isn’t that meaningful
4) “Millionaires” are an older demographic and are less likely to have the newest phones, so they actually may have lower iPhone X ownership

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
1) It doesn’t matter
2) iPhone customers generally have higher average incomes than other smartphone owners on a global basis (this has been the case for years simply because iPhones are more expensive)
3) It is possible that iPhonenX customers have a slightly higher average income than the average smartphone owner, but in probably isn’t that meaningful
4) “Millionaires” are an older demographic and are less likely to have the newest phones, so they actually may have lower iPhone X ownership

Point 2 is all only in your head. I see people from ALL walks of life with iPhones, it is only the insecure or elitist who believe ‘globally’ that iPhone owners earn ‘more’ money to make themselves feel better....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.