For a guy trapped in earthquake rubble, there was an app for that

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by nbs2, Jan 20, 2010.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Summary: Guy is in Haiti documenting poverty; gets trapped in the earthquake. Uses his iPhone to self-diagnose, perform first aid, get to safety, and write a message to his family.

My kind of embarrassing first thought - how did the battery last so long?:eek:

Honestly, though, it is impressive to think about how much utility technology provides for us on a daily basis, and yet we just take it for granted and complain about the little features.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm glad I read your post before I commented on your title because it comes off as insensitive and inane. However, the story is nice.

3. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

My first thought is that I can't type on the touch screen under the best of conditions, I can't imagine trying to do it in earthquake aftermath.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

For what it's worth, I didn't read the title as being offensive. The story was exactly what I expected: someone trapped using his iPhone to summon help or communicate with the outside.

5. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

6. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

That is a great story. I'm glad he made it out safely.

7. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I had changed it. While I didn't think of it as offensive, it may have been Too Soon.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iPhone to the rescue? Very likely ---

Just wow, I never knew the iPhone had come this far ever since it was first unveiled back in 2007...

Click me for link

9. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

im supprised they got signal, haha

10. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm surprised the battery lasted 65 hours with an alarm set every 20 minutes.

*downloads first aid app*

12. eplchamps0305 macrumors member

So, the app saved him not the iphone. Kudos to the developers. Title should have been iphone app.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Turn off all radios and leave it at low lighting settings and you can well go over 65 hours. Remember, the iPhone has ~300hrs standby with radios on, much more with them off.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Thanks for the post OP. I am not a die hard fan of any company, however I will use this link to needle my co-worker who just got a new HTC Tilt 2 just for fun:D

15. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Well without the iPhone, how does the iPhone app save him?

16. icyfire macrumors 6502

Not to mention, I doubt the app developers would have released anything on a Windows mobile phone had the iPhone and the App Store not existed.

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

It's an interesting article but I always seem to find the comments following this type of thing so much more interesting.

18. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Surprising the battery lasted that long. I wonder if any fool would be playing Tap Tap to avoid boredom and thinking of the pain. :rolleyes: :D

19. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you new to PDAs? I have been buying apps from apps stores since at least 2002. Ever heard of Handango? Apple did not invent the app store. They became best because they own the store and the device, well thats only one of the reasons

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet the point still is, without the iPhone, said app would not exist.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Medical, first-aid and timer apps have been available on other smartphones for years.

Don't you recall all the medical students who were upset that the iPhone didn't have apps like ePocrates and Merck Medicus available for the first year or two, like other phones?

22. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

No that's not the point. The point is the popularity of the iphone, having a app other than ifart that actually did some good.

Secondly your statement about "without the iPhone, said app would not exist." is BS. Try checking something called the internet before you make sweeping statements. Here I'll help you:

http://www.handango.com/catalog/SearchResults.jsp

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wow, I never knew you had time after being trapped by a Quake to do all that!

24. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

OP I gave you props for posting a good link. I am not sure what you mean by the above statement. The MSNBC article does say the trapped person downloaded the app, it does not say when he downloaded. The app could have been downloaded anytime b4 the quake. My statement to the other poster was to point out that other App stores do exist and have so for a long time. First Aid apps exist for WinMob and BB.

The question here is, if this had been a WinMob or BB, would there have been mention of this? Probably not. This statement from the Wired link pretty much sums it up: Say what you will about the iPhone. This story is incredible.

As soon as I get the chance to, I will rib my WinMob loving tech friends for a good laugh.

Oh by the way, a WinMob or BB user might have been able to accomplish the same feat with Handango's mobile store app. I can't vouch for how well it works compared to App store on the Iphone, but it does exist.

And again, thanks for the post.