For a new iPad owner..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johnray10, Mar 14, 2012.

1. johnray10 macrumors member

I have been waiting to purchase an iPad for quite some time now. I decided I was definitely going to buy one around July of last year. Then figured I might as well wait for the new one to be announced.. seemed like forever. Anyways, needless to say I pulled the trigger last Wednesday after the keynote. My question/s are for the iPad vets..

What are some things that I should definitely buy or setup for my new iPad? What are the best cases? I'm leaning towards a smart cover right now, but not opposed to something if it's better. What apps should I definitely download right away? Are there any hidden settings that I should definitely check out? I've had an iPhone since the beginning, so I'm pretty familiar with the set up/settings of an iOS device, but maybe iPad has some different offerings? I'm just basically asking for somewhat of a startup guide for an iPad from the people who know iPad..

Thanks for any help!

2. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

I'd say it depends on what you intend to use your iPad for.
    there are some great games that make good use of the larger screen.
    equally, I find many of the productivity apps are much better on the iPad. i use the iPhone for data entry when out and about, and then sync the data to the iPad and use that to review tasks/to-do lists/etc.
    However, be sure to check out some of the art apps. especially with the new screen, there's got to be some great drawing/painting apps out there.

For news, i like Daily Edition. But also use Instapaper.
    iBooks, obviously, is a must.
    I'm trying to find a good money tracking tool - currently trying out PocketMoney, MoneyBook and MoneyWell and can't work out how to get into the habbit of entering everything i spend into any of them.
    For productivity, i'm currently using 2Do, because it syncs nicely with the Reminders app via iCloud.
    for taking notes, drawing diagrams, etc i use NotesPlus - it has handwritting recognition that hopefully the new ipad has the power to process properly.

3. iCarabma macrumors 6502

Explore your cable company for whatever deals they have with whichever apps.

Time warner customers with HBO can use HBO go for free, for example.

Espn, cnn, tnt, tbs, cartoon network, adult swim all have apps that provide full episodes or live content depending your providers.

4. dell who? macrumors member

A lot of people aren't fans of the smart cover because it is very minimalistic. If you want the device to stay looking new and be better protected I would get something like Incase's book jacket, or you can get fancy and pursue options from a company like iLuv and get a leather fold over case with a bluetooth keyboard built into it. If you've been using an iPhone for a while then there shouldn't be too many surprises with standard use of the iPad, but the iPad definitely has a couple extra tricks up its sleeve. I like being able to choose what the switch on the side does, being able to lock the device in landscape mode, and using the 4 finger gestures the iPad recognizes. If you have wifi and an HDTV in your home/office then do yourself a favor and get the new Apple TV as well. That's when things really start getting fun.

5. htg macrumors regular

I would always recommend buying a Smart Cover if you're buying an iPad. Other cases just don't have that 'form and function' feel and some cases make the iPad much thicker. Having said that, if you want serious protection, don't get a Smart Cover, get something else that covers the whole iPad.

I would also recommend checking out Touchfire. What they (will) be offering is a silicone keyboard that you can place on your iPad so it feels like a real keyboard. They're not in production yet, but you can reserve one on their website.

I am not a big fan of bulky iPad keyboard cases, so I for one will be going with one each of the above for maximum portability. I also might get second Smart Cover in a bit if I feel like it so I can alternate.

6. JeffMorse macrumors regular

That touchfire thing is pretty slick. Pricey, but what product with 'Apple' anywhere near it isn't?

7. deeddawg, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

What's funny is that's the exact reason why a lot of people are fans of the smart cover. It's minimalistic and doesn't add a bunch of bulk.

To the "keeping it looking like new" part, I used a clear skin (BestSkinsEver) on the back of my iPad2 along with the smart cover. After nearly a year's use, it looked like new when I sold it.

Granted, this setup offers zero protection from drops or bashing it against something. If prone to that, then a more protective case may be best.

EDIT: "funny" here means "amusing", in that the contrast of the same setup creating diametrically opposite opinions is amusing. I reference dell who?'s post only in contrast and am in no way intending to say anything negative about this person's statement or opinion.

8. johnray10 thread starter macrumors member

I'm definitely going to do this. I have used HBO Go on my iPhone and iMac before, so I know how awesome that will be to have handy. Thank you.

I do have an Apple TV. I'm what people call an Apple "fanboy", I guess, so I have pretty much all of their products. The only one I have held off on was the iPad. What sorts of things can I do with the TV? Do you mean airplay?

----------

Yes.. this is exactly why I was leaning towards a smart cover. I hate cases. I have had every single iPhone besides the 3G S and I have never used a case. I have never cracked any of them, so I would say I am not prone to drops. I just don't like the bulk it adds. I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic design of Apple products and I hate to cover them up. It sounds like smart cover may be the best for me. Possibly adding some sort of skin to the back as well. Has anyone used that ghost armor stuff? They are always promoting it for iPhones and iPads outside my Apple store. It seems like it might be good to protect the back from scratches.

----------

That is really sweet. I've never typed much on an iPad, so I'm not sure if I would like it or not. I may have to pick one of those up when they're available. Thanks for the link!

9. dell who? macrumors member

How many iPads have you sold? How many people have you spoken to firsthand? Do you sell iPads currently? How many broken iPad screens have you encountered?

:rolleyes:

Why don't you let me give this new owner my 2 cents because I actually have real perspective to draw from. State your opinion without quoting someone else in the thread please. It feels like you're trying to make me look uninformed, and I will take offense to that considering I've sold thousands of these by now and spent 3 years working for Apple directly...

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wow. Where did that come from? :eek:

I have no idea why you took my post that way, but I had zero intention of trying to make you look bad and in no way did I suggest your opinion was not valid. I am very sorry you interpreted my post in this way.

My intent was simply to illustrate that personal preference can be completely different between different people. I thought it was amusing that the very thing that some people liked about a certain setup is the very thing others dislike about the same setup. I am sorry that did not come across clearly.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I do not like the smart cover. It can come off pretty easily and once, almost caused me to drop my iPad.

Netflix -definitely Netflix. And Sketchpad Pro is pretty awesome. I like the Brighthouse app as well, since I enjoy watching all those crazy Food Network shows (CUPCAKE WARS!) LOL

I'm not much of a gamer, but I do like puzzle games like Mahjong. There's several free varieties you might enjoy.

Google Earth is fabulous on the iPad, and I can't remember the name of it, but there is an awesome planetary one as well - Star Walk, maybe? I'm at work right now, but will check when I get home.

There are some museum gallery apps out there that are great too. My daughter is an artist so I downloaded two or three for her for Christmas, and she really enjoys them.

I know not everyone uses the iWork apps, but I do, especially Pages and Numbers.

iPhoto is really good, and so is iMovie - you'll have a good time with those.

I'll check back later if I think of any others.

12. isorhythmic macrumors newbie

Try Mint. Syncs with your accounts and lets you alter transaction details after the fact. By far the best money app.

13. marksweb macrumors member

For that I have iBank on my mac & iPhone. Update it once a week for all accounts. Takes 10mins a week & really helps. Hope there's an iPad version!

14. dell who? macrumors member

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify. I come on here to advise people objectively and offer info that I think people need to know. Most people on here seem to be interested in being litigious and not much else, so I apologize for making that assumption of you. I've been in the forums on here for about a month and I'm already inclined to jump to that conclusion, so I guess that speaks to the general state of affairs around here. Peace and love (and iPads) is fine with me :p

15. PhoneI macrumors 65816

This looks incredible. Thanks for the link.

16. keantan macrumors regular

thanks for the link mate, that'll save me a keyboard case as well! :)

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

No problem, we're good. I understand that frame of mind can color the interpretation of written words when there are no visual or audio cues.

18. preston181 macrumors member

There are some cases out there that are smart cover compatible. I went this route, and combined a smart cover with a Scoshe Snapshield for the back, and a Victorinox bag to put it in. Total cost for all accessories was $95.

If you're a streaming movie fan, I'd recommend the Apple TV.