For anybody interested in Android on a budget....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kdoug, Jul 13, 2011.

1. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Woot has the Motorola Xoom for $400 refurbished. I'm a little bored with my iPad and iPhone so I thought I might add to my collection.
    Here's a link if interested: http://www.woot.com/

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The Xoom appears to be the first to get Honeycomb 3.2 as well. Might not be a bad purchase for that price.

3. kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

If it was $200 I would consider it. $300 or more and it better be the new Samsung Tab to get my interest.

5. kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

You could barely buy a refurbished Nook color on eBay for $199.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

And that is my point. That is how little i think of the Xoom. But i alsopredicted that the Xoom would be in Staple's sales bins within 6 months. Not surprised one bit by this news.

7. kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Point taken but you obviously think less of ANYTHING that runs Android. The whole purpose of this thread was to link a REALLY good deal on a product that most experts feel is still one of the better android tablets on the market, including myself.
    BTW, I was at Staples yesterday and they we're sold out of Xoom Wi-Fi. The manager I spoke with said they we're selling very well at the new lower price.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

If you pull the best piece of horse manure out of a pile of horse manure, you still have a piece of horse ****.

9. kdoug, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

And this kids, is why you should never ever do crack.

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Why is that ?

Is it because you come to a Mac forum in the iPad section and make another Xoom post?

There are hundreds of Andriod forums on the web. Why post that here and then complain when people disagree ?

11. kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Listen, this was a simple post regarding a good deal on a Android tablet. If you look at my sig you'll notice I'm as qualified as any to post on a Mac site, probably more than most since I own almost everything that Apple sells. The thread started off well until you posted some idiotic dung phrase.
    Let me state very simply, if you haven't anything intelligent to add than don't post. It's OK to disagree, but there wasn't anything to disagree about, just a link with an opinion. Capish?

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Capish? Is that something that looks like a cap, but isn't?

Bene. Capisco. ;)

And as I said before, I'd get a Xoom if it was $200 or less. I consider beta products like the Xoom not worthy of any more than that. Just my point of view.

13. bbnck macrumors 6502

So what are you suggesting? It's still crap? lol

Anyway, I think the Xoom is a pretty good tablet from what I've seen. Not tried it in person though.

14. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

People here feel kind of threatened whenever Android is brought up.

15. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Haha, yeah, no idea why though...

16. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Mostly because Android steamrolled over iPhone and most likely do the same to iPad

Market shares don't lie.

17. ~Ks383~, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

This has been said before but I think it bears repeating.

What ONE Android phone is "steamrolling" the iPhone. None. You are comparing apples to oranges. You cannot compare an OS to a single type of phone and have a valid comparison. Yes Android as an OS has a greater marketshare compared to iOS but it is on tons more devices. Thus far I have seen no tablet devices threatening to "steamroll" the iPad either (this may change in the future but as of now there is not one IMO).

Before I get called a fanboy I would like to state that personally I welcome the competition that the Android OS brings to the table. Competition gives Apple a reason/motivation to keep improving their products. Also I do not have an aversion to buying an Android device, when one comes along which I consider to be superior.

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

IOS is steamrolling Android. Market shares don't lie.

19. Meanee macrumors 6502a

20. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Nope, gotta lump all iOS vs all android. Isn't there about 1 billion iPods rolling around out there? Then add iPhones, plus tablets, and of course Apple TV's. Amazing how stats mean little when you actually compare an OS to an OS and not an OS to one phone.

It all means crap anyway.

21. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Comscore, I believe, tallies up all devices that have internet access. So this means iPod touches. Not sure about Apple TV, can't really call it a full IOS device anyway.

Oh, look at this one
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/03/comsc...s-s-most-popular-smartphone-operating-system/

Android keeps rising, while Apple marketshare just flat. small ups and small downs, but no actual movement.

Drink as much Kool Aid as you want, but it's simply foolish to maintain this blindness.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

WRONG. That data in that article stopped in January 2011. However, the introduction of Verizon iPhone (introduced in January) changed that.

23. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It really didn't. The impact was very minimal.

I cannot find any Q2 numbers right now, but more or less lackluster Verizon launch was directly responsible for iPad 2 lines. Apple wants theatrics, stores full of people. And for Verizon iPhone launch day, they got crickets. So they had to create full stores by not doing pre-orders.

Google around a bit. In April 2011, Android took over Apple globally, not just in US. So as you can see, trend is not in Apple's favor.

24. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Nope. You're still looking at smartphone subscription data and trying to equate OS to one iPhone (now grasp this concept - it's a piece of HARDWARE!) This data doesn't include all iOS devices. And again, this doesn't matter. Apple is the industry leader in smartphones. Apple leads in customer satisfaction in smartphones. Apple is the #1 tech company in the world. Apple's iPhone makes more money than all of Google combined. Blah blah blah. It's all stupid nonsense unless you own Apple stock.

Right now I'm carrying around a $10 Nokia pay as you go phone. It makes calls, and that's all i need a phone for. Quite this belief that Android is somehow a magical phone that owns the world. It's free code. Nothing more.

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I appreciate you being honest. I find it interesting to read all the opinions about Android and the Xoom from people who've never actually used one or played with it 15 minutes at Best Buy and declared it "crap" based on that extensive experience and what they read on the blogs. It's ok not to like it, or to think iOS is better, but the hate coming out of some of these people's keyboards you'd think the Xoom killed their puppy... :rolleyes: