For anybody with Battery Issues...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apb509, Jul 21, 2008.

1. apb509 macrumors member

To my great dismay, after waiting in line for 2.5 hours, my iPhone's life signal began to decrease greatly in the first couple of hours. I tried letting it die completely and then fully charging it; letting it get down to 40% and then fully charging it; even keeping it on the charger for the majority of the time when I wasn't using it.

What really put me over the edge was when I left to go do dinner before Batman Saturday night with some friends.. my phone was on standby the entire time. Just over 4 hours later, my phone had gone COMPLETELY dead--and I wasn't even actively using it. I had bluetooth, 3G, GPS services all off while it was on standby as well...

I tried going to the local Apple Store to have a "Genius" look at it and troubleshoot the issue at hand, only to see a LINE of 10+ people for the GeniusBar. Needless to say, I went home, backed up my phone, and restored my phone to factory settings. Then I loaded the backup I had just created onto the phone so that all my settings were back.

Lo and behold, this morning my phone has been off the charger for 5+ hours, and I have a completely charged battery signal... and it wasn't simply in standby all morning--I have made a couple of calls, sent and received emails, and done some websurfing.. even turned on 3G, GPS services, and upped the brightness a bit.

Moral of the story: If your battery sucks, at least try restoring the phone before handing over your baby to a "Genius" only to be told it's a faulty phone and have to wait for the perpetually sold out iPhones to become available and/or have one shipped to you. Even though the same firmware was reinstalled on my phone through the restore process, somehow it has been completely recalibrated and the battery actually lasts now. I hope anybody else experiencing this same frustration has as much luck as I did with this solution.

2. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I'll try this.

Last night I left my fully charged iphone on my night stand. This morning it was depleted to the 10% warning level. And it hadn't been used at all! :eek:

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

This 100% works.

I also recommend fully discharging your iPhone battery (until it shuts off), at least 3 times, and recharging to 100%.

This calibrates the Lithium Ion battery found in iPhone, and overall gives you better battery performance.

R-Fly

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

By the way, all you really have to turn off is location service and it does make huge difference.

I went from having to charge after 8 hours to being on stand-by for 2 days with 3 hour usage.

5. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

I'm trying to discharge mine as we speak. Got the 20% warning 2 hours ago. Had it playing iPod whole time and it's still going,LOL.

Edit: now 2.5 hours of continuous use after 20% warning and the battery finally died.

6. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I had to save all the photos from my photo roll before I could do the restore. I'm now in the restore process. I hope this works.

Thanks for the tip. I had run it down all the way once or twice, and then to the 10% warning twice. I'll try to run it down all the way a couple more times.

Thanks, I just switched the location services off.

7. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Being in a theatre will drain most phones dead. Reason is that it's trying to aquire a signal, and in most theaters, there's so much concrete that it can't get a signal, so it's contstantly pinging out anddoing anything it can to get a signla and poof.. the battery dies.

8. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I've never had a phone go dead in a theater. I usually put mine old phone on vibrate instead of actually shutting it off in case the babysitter needed to call.

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It seems like this is a firmware issue really. It doesn't make sense that the antenna would need to be powered when phone is in standby, but since this is actually making a difference for many (all) people, the antenna is needlessly powered, even when not in use. In the next update, I hope apple fixes this issue to keep us from having to keep turning it off.

10. tomashi macrumors regular

I don't think you can see the a Genius without and appointment

11. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Yea, you can get in the Standby line. I've never done it, but they said it would take 45 minutes - 1 hour and you have to wait inside the Apple store.

12. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Will someone please confirm to me whether or not Location service is on when outside of apps that require it (maps), because if its not on I dont see it really being a battery drainer unless you are looking at maps with GPS all day.

13. Bmizz macrumors member

How do I go about doing the backup and restore to my 3g Iphone? Sorry but I am useless on computers.

14. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Also whats the quickest way to discharge your battery?

15. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

put it in the microwave.

16. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Are you serious or joking?

17. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

If you seriously have to ask me that you shouldn't have a iphone.

18. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

I thought we answered this question in another thread? :)

If it's on, it drains battery power. Turn it off. I have a feeling power management isn't correctly using the service and it is causing increased power usage. I have a feeling an Apple update will fix this, maybe not. I've heard lots of weird stories with Location Services ON that murder the battery, even when the location service was only used one time.

Use Location Service at your own risk ;)

19. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

the only answer I got in another thread was "I think so," but thanks for being more descriptive.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's it! I have 1 day 18 hours on my last charge so far.

21. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

In the next update they should have a thing where once you are in maps or an app that needs location services it turns on, but when you leave the app it turns off. Right now it justs asks you if you want to locate yourself which is basically just saying if you want to turn on locaiton services, but usually after i leave maps i forget to turn it off. its annoying!

22. vhelmbreck macrumors newbie

Turn off location services?

Just give me a quick tutorial on how to do this...please.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

That basically suggests in itself that you need to calibrate. Your iPhone is telling you its 20% when it's actually 30%. I also experienced a VERY inaccurate 20% and 10% remaining warning on my first discharge.

24. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Settings-->General-->Location Services-->Off

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Tap 'Settings' Icon > Select 'General' > 5 fields down you see 'Location Services' press switch so it displays 'OFF'

Everytime you use an App or Google Maps it will ask 'xxx would like to use your current location' this means you will have to perform the above steps again to switch it OFF.