For anyone complaining about icons... which ones and why?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by xkmxkmxlmx, Jun 28, 2013.

1. xkmxkmxlmx, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

All of them? Some of them? A couple specific ones?

Some of them are HUGE improvements (Photos, Game Center, Camera, Compass). Some not necessary but still cool (Notes, Settings, Reminders), and then a lot have not even really changed much at all (Music, Video, Maps, Mail, etc).

I also like the new retro Newsstand. It fits better with the scheme and does not stick out like a sore thumb like the current one. Passbook for that matter as well.

Safari, sure. It is a bit weird. Maybe if they changed the white border a bit. Calendar is kind of weird looking on a non-retina screen.

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I for one have no issues with the icons and I can't believe people are making such a stink about them.

3. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Ones I like:

Photos - I know it doesn't really suggest photographs, but I think the rainbow colors are pretty.

Weather - I think I'm in the minority here, but I like it. It's simple, the colors are nice, and it suggest weather.

Clock - I like that it's live, but even if it weren't it looks a little better than the iOS 6 icon.

Music - I didn't like the orange/brown colors of the iOS 6 version. This one is nicer.

Videos - I would prefer a less neon blue and a more subtle gradient, but still, it's not bad.

Ones I'm indifferent to:

Messages - I wish it were more like the messages icon in OS X, but it's okay.

Phone - I'd like a subtler color and less gradient, but still, it's okay.

Compass, Passbook, Stocks, Maps - They're not great, but okay.

Ones I don't like:

Calendar - The font is too difficult to read at a glance. The old one was better.

Camera - Well, it does look like a camera, but the colors (or lack thereof) are dull.

Notes - Boring

Reminders - Also boring

Game Center - It's colors are pretty, but how does a set of overlapping bubbles suggest a game center? A chess piece would be a good idea for this icon.

Newsstand - Looks like bad clip art.

iTunes Store and App Store - I don't mind the larger graphic, but the colors are harsh and the gradient is extreme. The same icons with more understated colors and a subtle gradient (like the Facebook icon, for example) would look very nice.

Mail - Again with the harsh neon colors. And this time they didn't even get the gradient right. It's upside down. (I know the weather icon also has an "upside down" gradient, but in that case it works because it looks like the sky).

Safari - Oh, my.

Special mention for the icon I hate the most:

Settings - It looks like some kind of a meat grinder. I'm afraid it's going to chew up my finger if I tap on it. This is what it would look like if the Doomsday Machine and a Sarlacc had a child. Ugly, and more than a little disturbing.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think Safari's new icon is so mind-bendlingly bad I don't know why all these threads aren't just complaining about it specifically instead of icons in general.

The rest are fine. I have opinions on 'em, sure, but they're not strong enough to even bother writing down.

5. maclook macrumors 65816

Why do you think Camera is a HUGE improvement?

I personally dislike it both because of the design/aesthetics and because Apple touted iPhone as the most used camera but then makes the camera icon reference an old school camera. I really liked the old icon.

6. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I don't like the safari one cause it has white and is square. The calendar app also has white with black letters and it annoys me(I might go android). The photo icon has white and lots of other colors that look like a flower and I hate flowers. The compass app is black and I also hate black so its uglier than the white ones. The music icon would be ok if it only said Phat beats on it......but it doesn't so its ugly. Voice memo app is white and only black so it also isn't very nice. I hate all of them so much that I could cry. I want them to look and act exactly like android 4. something or iOS 3.:D

7. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Because I like the color scheme and the actual camera icon over just the lens. From a distance, it is hard really to make out what that lens actually is. I know it because it is ingrained in me, but it doesn't make it great by any stretch. But really, it looks like a button or a BMW logo.

Lastly, it makes things more uniform across the board. The camera access from the lock screen, control center and the app itself all match now. Something you would not be able to do with that 3D lens app. Well, without confusion of course.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Do we really need ANOTHER thread on iOS 7 icons?!?

9. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

One icon i dont like totally and it is camera, looks so 90's.. iOS6 camera icon way better.

10. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Actually, that sounds great. I don't think it signifies games in any way, no. But it is still a hell of a lot better than green felt/leather imo.

Half way in, I could not tell if you were serious or not. Hell, given some of the outcry, I STILL don't know if you are ;)

----------

Thanks for your input.

11. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I can get pass some of the icons. Just the ONLY ones that I would say they NEED to change. Like for the love of God PLEASE change. Is the Safari icon and the Calendar icon.

Others could use some tweaking

12. maclook macrumors 65816

I can agree with you on that point.

13. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I have no problem with the "simple", "flat", "clean" design direction that Apple is taking. I think it could look very nice and updated. I applaud this aspect of their decisions.

My concern is more about color choices, some of the app icon image designs, and some other various UI choices as they exist now.

To be fair, I am not a developer, and have not used iOS 7 in person. I'm basing my opinion on the screenshots provided by others.

My concern for iOS 7 app icon color choices is specifically about the pinks, purples, and other super-bright pastel colors (but mostly the pinks and purples and reddish-oranges) that are in the following App icons: iTunes Store, Music, Game Center, Podcasts, and to a lesser degree: Photos, Reminders, Passbook, Newsstand, and Contacts.

I don't care for the purple in the iOS 6 Podcasts app either, but would be more okay with it if it were closer to the dark muted (low saturation) purple found in the new WWDC2013 app icon background color. Anything closer to black or dark blue would be preferable to midrange, bright, or pastel purple. Anything pink would be better if changed closer to black or dark muted (low saturation) red.

I would prefer the bright orangeish-yellow pastel colors to either be dark and muted or to become the midrange of either orange or yellow, but not both (without the pastel).

I would prefer the bright orangish-red pastel colors to either be dark and muted or the midrange of either red or orange, but not both (without the pastel)

The gradients between pink, red, and orangeish-red (found on the Music App) appear like the visual equivelant in music performance of three consecutive notes on a Chromatic Scale played simultaneously, the result of which is often unsettling (because it is in-fact an offset, neither the same nor different enough to become harmonious), like three musicians who can't decide which note to play together. I would prefer they pick either red or orange, but not both, and to make it a solid color without the gradient between two very similar (yet different) colors. Either a red only gradient, an orange only gradient, or a solid color with no gradient at all. I don't know why they don't just continue to use the orange found in the previous Music app. It was more pleasing than this orangish-red gradient mix they are using now.

My concern for the iOS 7 text and button UI color choices is specifically about the pinks and purples and other super-bright pastel colors (but mostly the pinks and purples) found inside the App UIs for Music, Game Center, and possibly other App UIs I have not yet seen.

My concern for iOS 7 app icon image design (not based on color choice) is specifically about Safari, Game Center, Photos, Newsstand, and to a lesser degree Contacts and Settings.

I tend to prefer monochromatic mixtures of blues and greens with some careful uses of yellow, some oranges, and browns. all with various uses of saturation, and I'm more tolerant of the use of pastels in these shades. I don't like reds, pinks, and purples, in most shades (between orangish yellow and purplish-blue), and am personally just trying to be tolerant of them when they are bright, heavily-saturated, or pastel (even though I don't like it). I usually prefer those colors to be dark, muted (low saturation) closer to black or gray or very deep muted orange, red, or blue, and definitely not pink or purple.

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Messages, Phone and FaceTime icons are too "bright". They get lost in some backgrounds and the white on them is sometimes hard to see. A more subdued green would be better.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Improvement on iOS 6:
    Settings

Slight change for the better:
    Passbook
    Maps
    Weather
    Music
    Compass

Slight change for the worse:
    Phone, FaceTime, Messages - too bright
    Mail
    Photos
    Notes
    Stocks
    Clock
    Reminders
    Newsstand
    Videos
    Calculator
    Calendar - font is too thin
    iTunes
    App Store

kill it with fire:
    Safari
    Game Center
    Contacts
    Camera - too bland, I likes the old lens

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Silly man!

Of course we need another thread on iOS 7 icons. What you fail to realize is that each of the 3,692 threads is asking a totally unique and, I might add, incredibly fascinating question.

Because of your obviously deficient reading comprehension skills, you think the 3,692 different threads are really all about the same topic.

Mais non, mon ami!

So please stop your griping and carefully absorb all of the uniquely fascinating information and opinions on these threads!

Why, you, yourself, might soon open a thread about iOS 7 icons!

:rolleyes:

17. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Will2145

I dislike the settings and camera icon... They just look so dull. I might be the minority here but I for one think the safari icon is pretty cool once I got used to it.

18. danielceleste macrumors regular

Uh... Is there something wrong with me for actually liking all of the icons? Am I wrong for actually (gasp) LIKING the Safari icon? Also, the general consensus seems to be that the larger circle on Jony Ive's icon grid is too large, but I feel that it's a more appropriate size and that it's better to have a consistent circle size.

Except the voice memos icon. The fact that the retina display can't even animate it properly means that it's too detailed, and Apple's new HIG suggests against this.

19. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Congratulations on starting a thread that will have 1 million different opinions.

The only one we can all agree on is Safari. If anyone thinks thats even a passable icon just go away and never come back. Haha.

In all seriousness though. Apple has always been a hallmark of iconography and its just sad to see the mess that they are parading around as icons. They used to be awe inspiring works of art for the past 30 years. To show these is just embarrassing.

20. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Oh relax already. It is a hot topic, it comes up a lot. Have you ever been on a forum before? Obviously people are responding (and not with sarcasm because they live on this board and every little thing upsets them - but STILL take the time to post it instead of scroll through).

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for the advice...I'm relaxing now...:D

22. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

23. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

The only ones I see as a real eyesore are Safari and the Camera icon.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There are various icons I don't like -- I think my choice for worst icons are Newsstand and Settings -- but icons aren't really a big deal, so I'm not complaining about them. My complaints are about the various UI changes, like thin font that is harder to read; lack of contrast in various places, such as yellow text on white background for the "buttons" in Notes app; Music app's shuffle and repeat control got turned into text and are as a result more confusing, etc. Compared to these UI usability problems, ugly icons are not a very serious problem.

25. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I may be wrong, but I think at the end of the day people will learn to deal with most/any icon image designs that they don't like (well, maybe except Safari), but the color choices of the icons and UI text/buttons will be much more difficult to ignore if one doesn't like them. This is why the idea of darker color palette themed UI options is so important to some people.

I have no problem if some/most people like the new "cotton candy" neon bright feminine pastel colors (as others have already described it), but I don't. I want the option to use darker, less feminine colors.