For best Windows 7, do I need Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by karpe, Jul 18, 2010.

1. karpe macrumors newbie

Hey people.

I just started running windows 7 on my MacBook Pro [late 2008 Unibody]. I just read that Boot Camp 3.1 fixed a lot of the issues i'm having [messy trackpad, performance issues]. However, that update only comes after upgrading to Snow Leopard [I'm running Leopard on the Mac side].

Is upgrading to Snow Leopard the only way I can have access to these improved drivers?

Moreover, will this upgrade require a reinstall of Windows?

Thanks for any help.

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

well, if it requires you to have snow leopard on the mac side, sounds like you are out of luck unless you upgrade. You really should upgrade to snow leopard anyway, its only 30 bucks :/

And no, it shouldn’t require you to reinstall windows unless updating to snow leopard fails somehow and you need to format your HDD.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Some drivers can be upgraded regardless of Snow Leopard (like nVidia drivers). However, you do not need to reinstall Windows 7 to get BootCamp 3.1 fixes.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The Boot Camp 3.0 drivers on the Snow Leopard install DVD are independent of Mac OS. You can stick with Leopard if you choose to and still use the drivers provided by Snow Leopard.

Buy the $29 upgrade, install within your existing W7 installation and then upgrade to 3.1 using Apple Software Updater.

No reinstalls or upgrades needed.

B

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I seem to recall the apple update notification wanting me to go to 3.1 and I was still using Leopard.