For iOS5, would u want scrolling desktop wallpaper and desktop widgets like Android?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, May 15, 2011.

1. Bonds79, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

Bonds79 macrumors 6502

For iOS5.0, would you want apple to include scrolling desktop wallpaper like Android? what about desktop widgets? For iOS5, would u want scrolling desktop wallpaper and desktop widgets like Android?

2. binaryblob macrumors newbie

That is not scrolling per se, it is "parallax".

PS: If you want those now, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding someone on here to "recommend" you jump ship :p

3. ucfgrad93, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, I don't really see what is so great about them (scrolling desktop wallpaper). I would hope that Apple spent their time on more important improvements rather than something like this.

4. binaryblob macrumors newbie

I don't recall anyone saying they were great...

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Agreed. Widgets are nothing but overrated and unnecessary gimmicks.

6. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

i could see apple introducing widgets and calling them iwidgets or widget apps: meaning apps that give you a bit of info on screen with out completely opening the app.

I don't like the parallax scrolling but wanted to see what you all thought.

7. binaryblob macrumors newbie

I think this:

If Android has them, the Apple fanboys will say they're rubbish, right up until the very second Steve announces them on stage. Then, they'll suddenly (in the Apple world) be new and exciting, and something "we couldn't IMAGINE living without".

Oh please, spare me the RDF... ^_^

Having said this, I'm sure Apple will do a bang up job of them.

8. haulis macrumors regular

I say yes, why not? And it wouldn't necessarily detract from other features because you would have a team dedicated to that only.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sounds like you have never used them. Yes a lot of the widgets can be gimmicks but many of them are very nice.
    For example on one of my home screens I have 1 widget that will display txt messages, another that handles my google voice. On other home screen I have a widget for face book and another for twitter that I can go threw and quickly look at the respective post.
    Then on another screen I have some widgets that allow me to control wifi, bt, GPS, Airplane mode with simple on/off switch and then controls for the media player. All this done with out going into the app it self. Never mind the weather one that OMG gives me the temp and weather with having to open the App at all. Other that just icon based stuff that I use.

you missed one. With in 6 months they will scream how everyone copied them and Apple came up with them first.

10. fterh macrumors member

Scrolling wallpapers? NAY.

Android user here, and trust me, that feature SUCKS. I downloaded a pack of gorgeous iPhone wallpapers, but because of that feature, I had to crop it at funny dimensions and it gets enlarged and becomes blurred, pixelated and hideous.

Unless Apple makes that the NORM, after which it's probably okay. :eek:

11. dickdaney macrumors regular

All I want that android has in the unlock screen. I like the "connect the dots" unluck over entering a 4 digit pin.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The scrolling wallpaper was one of my favourite customisation features when i was trying out Android, if it was an option I'd probably use it. Probably won't be included though

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Jailbreak for it. Don't wait for Apple, because it won't come.

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This was probably mentioned but I would say:

No to widgets, but yes to App icons that update with info (like weather, temperature, etc).

No to scrolling backgrounds. Thats gimmicky and would make me motion sick looking at it.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. iLucas macrumors 6502

Most people will not be able to use AndroidLock because it requires iOS under 3.2

Unless a different one has been released?

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can tell you that while I have a scrolling desktop wallpaper it is just nice touch but not really important.

Live wall papers while cool and fancy and all not really high on my list. I flip between Lloyd and a livewall paper call storm spending on my mood. I will tell you that the storm is pretty much pure eye candy and nothing more.

18. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

There are many different ones out there. I messed around with one on 4.2.1 and it was working fine. I didn't really like it that much though so I deleted it.

I'm sure YouTube has plenty of videos explaining how to get it, or at least something that looks like it.

19. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

20. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I could do with something like a widget or a better notification system. I would mainly like to see a weather app that would act as a decent replacement for a NOAA weather radio. If there's a severe weather warning in my area, my phone should have the option of going nuts and/or playing the weather alert audio. I would pay $10 for that.

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I really want a different UI, i'm sick and tired of the grid-like home screen. Here's hoping iOS 5 is a total revamp but still has the iOS feel.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Errr... that would pretty much be a widget. Displays updated info within its allocated space, and launches its app when clicked.

A good live wallpaper is much better. The first Android app I wrote was a live wallpaper that switched backgrounds per homepage. (There are ones like it in the Market.) This makes spotting which homepage you're on incredibly easy and pleasant. For example, a family background for social apps, a travel scene for travel homepage, etc.

--

Jobs has gushed over Widgets on the Mac and even highlighted them at the WWDC, so he's a fan of them on desktops, at least:

Attached Files:

24. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

binaryblob iz a ****in troll!:eek: