Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
In terms of aesthetics, I prefer the scrolling wallpaper on Android more than the iOS static one. It's not a huge issue, but I wouldn't mind having it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think what people want rather than widgets is live icons, kinda like WP7 tiles, where they display small nits of relevant info, and tapping them opens the full app. From what i understand a widget would be a separate icon, not actually the app icon. I'd be happy with icons showing info, and combined with a new notification system this could be very cool.

I don't really like live wallpapers as they can be distracting, but the scrolling wallpaper is a nice touch.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Scrolling wallpaper won't really work on iPhone. On Android, the main screen is in the center. On iOS, its on the left.

I believe we will see some preset "live wallpapers"

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Honestly, after using android for a bit I realized widgets aren't all they are cracked up to be. Plus they drain battery much too quickly. Live icons like the calendar icon would be nice for stuff like weather (I use it on my jailbroken iPod Touch), but really it isn't much work to just launch an app real quick and check whatever I need to. As for scrolling wallpapers, I try to keep all my apps on the least amount of pages possible and then I use spotlight to find my apps, so the scrolling wallpaper would be useless for me. But everyone has their own opinions.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
Only if they implement them as non intrusive options. I personally would never use either feature.

On the desktop I have used Mac, Windows and Linux and never have used the widgets (Dashboard, Sidebar, gDesklet) or animated backgrounds for more than a few minutes just to test them.

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
I personally do not like the way android does widgets, I wouldn't mind a widget like in OSX though.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Personally, I won't complain if iOS has them, and I won't complain if it hasn't.
I did enjoy using widgets when I had an HTC desire, but can't say I miss them too much now I'm back on iOS. The one thing I do miss is a decent notification system, and I really hope they are improved in iOS 5

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I would very much like to have both scrolling wallpaper and the ability to do a different wallpaper on each page.

The 'animated backgrounds' I can live without but I wouldn't care if they were an option.

I'm surprised at the negative reaction so far. I'm assuming most of you have never seen a good scrolling wallpaper? I can certainly show you tons of examples that make static wallpapers seem like a bad idea, but it doesn't mean it's a bad feature just because of those poor examples.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You guys can keep your widgets and live icons.

I'll keep my battery life.

Umm the widgets/live icons drain little if any battery life and what it would drain is not noticeable.
People keep screaming battery life but how much do you all want. My biggest requirement is to be able to get I say 1 day of use out of it. Really I say what 30 hours is the high end needed for those times I MIGHT be pulling an all nighter somewhere but really getting 20 hours out of it generally for 99% of the time is really all we need.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Umm the widgets/live icons drain little if any battery life and what it would drain is not noticeable.
People keep screaming battery life but how much do you all want? My biggest requirement is to be able to get I say 1 day of use out of it. Really I say what 30 hours is the high end needed for those times I MIGHT be pulling an all nighter somewhere but really getting 20 hours out of it generally for 99% of the time is really all we need.

Ideally I want 14 hours of 3g web browsing on one charge ;)

Realistically? Hmmm...

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I think this:

If Android has them, the Apple fanboys will say they're rubbish, right up until the very second Steve announces them on stage. Then, they'll suddenly (in the Apple world) be new and exciting, and something "we couldn't IMAGINE living without".

Oh please, spare me the RDF... ^_^

Having said this, I'm sure Apple will do a bang up job of them.

Could have not said it any better.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Maybe some sort of live tiles. That or up the RAM so massively high, that I can fast switch more apps.

kdarling

macrumors P6
You guys can keep your widgets and live icons.

I'll keep my battery life.

What good is a smartphone, if you never really use it. Heck, we could keep the phone off and get incredibly good battery life :)

Most live wallpapers and widgets use only one or two dozen minutes of CPU time per month, max.

The real battery killers are the backlight, videos, WiFi, Bluetooth and poor carrier signal areas.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm jailbroken and am using lockscreen/homescreen notifications and scrolling wallpapers like android. Haven't noticed any decrease in battery life at all. Widgets would be nice but haven't seen many I liked. I don't need to have the weather on my screen at all times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.