For iPhone 5 users with battery drainage issues

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by webitorgal, Oct 4, 2013.

1. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

You might have a faulty battery. I think a lot of us who were part of last year's first batch might have that problem, so I suggest that you get it checked out and replaced. I had mine replaced today, but I think it's still a wait-and-see situation. The people at the Genius Bar said that I had to fully charge the phone and then let it drain to 0.

2. vgk80 macrumors newbie

Thanks for this post. Did apple replace it for free? My iPhone5 was ordered on day1, so it's out of warranty now and ios7 is draining my battery like crazy

3. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I have a day 1 phone also. I shut off AirDrop and Frequent Locations, and that has helped a lot. Still not quite as good as 6, but MUCH noticably better.

4. webitorgal thread starter macrumors regular

webitorgal

Yes, it was complementary. Do you have Apple Care?

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have background refresh on, location services on and my battery life is fine until the cell tower at work acts up again and I go through a drain because of it.

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

That doesn't make any sense. Why would a faulty battery only manifest itself with iOS 7, but be otherwise normal with iOS 6?

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Because it's not the battery. In 99.999% of the cases it's an system or application process causing the issue. Resetting the phone (sleep and home buttons) will solve the problem until the same process has the same problem.

Also very common with major upgrades (4 -> 5, 5 -> 6, 6 -> 7). I think geniuses know that a battery replacement (new phone) will be set up as new or the problem may not come back after a restore so it "was the battery".

You can try one of the system monitoring utilities to identify or open an xcode console to see what's happening, e.g., repeated authentication attempts.

8. User*09 macrumors member

Settings/General/Spotlight Search (iOS 7)

I turned off all the items with a blue checkmark, and I am seeing improved battery usage. I read online (battery saving tips article) that the items checked are indexed by Spotlight, and that the process consumes battery. I never use Spotlight on my iPhone (5) or iPad (Mini), so clicking off all the checks was not a problem for me. Try it out and see if it works for you. I am not sure if the same would go for ios 6 but its worth a shot, no?

9. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

This is interesting but I'm not sure why this would suck the juice out of the battery. If you're not using spotlight then why would it waste battery? Please explain. Thanks!

10. User*09 macrumors member

Here is the article that I read. The Spotlight tip worked for me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/30/ios-7-battery-life_n_4016255.html

I selected the link in the first article, and I think this is the article that I read originally:

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/28/how-to-increase-your-iphones-battery-life-on-ios-7/

11. jahall05 macrumors regular

Because it will continue to index items in the background so they can be searched for. Indexing taxes the processor and takes battery life.

12. webitorgal thread starter macrumors regular

webitorgal

Since the battery change, my phone has been good to me so far. I topped it off to 100% about 24 hours ago and I'm now down to 34% with the phone on vibrate for the past 20 or so hours. But then again, it's Saturday, and I don't get as many emails on weekends than I would during the week.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

After ios7 upgrade I can't reach 5 hr of usage .... This is not a faulty battery , since it was fine with iOS 6 ...

14. vgk80 macrumors newbie

Well, the apple store employee graciously agreed to give me a new battery, for free, despite being out of warranty. Now, I need to see if it's truly a battery issue or a software glitch.

15. adamgbiggs macrumors regular

adamgbiggs

Any update on this, how is the new battery doing?

Thanks,
    Adam.

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Most need to turn off the background app updating for apps that don't need or and disable a lot of the privacy settings. (And the tricky part is they are located in several different places. As well as the spotlight switches, remove notification center entries that don't need to be there as it will be checking those apps routinely just as spotlight does (I mean does anyone really need to have notification center notifying about angry birds or temple run? Both were there on my kids devices.)

17. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I personally see Frequent Locations and Traffic location services as potential battery problems because the arrow is showing they are finding the location all the time. I don't know if it is bug or if I'm the only person experiencing it.

18. edhchoe macrumors 6502

I think I figured out why the battery was draining faster on my ip5.
    The auto update was turned on. Apps were updating without letting me know. One or two or three apps a day!
    I turned it off. And it should help.

19. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I see those being used more on mine as well but am not sure how much they are actually being used (on times for the updates) and how much it affects the battery. For now I have left them on and my battery does not seem to have suffered any more due to them being on and accessed more often than I think they should.

20. Ethanallen macrumors newbie

21. vgk80 macrumors newbie

Adam,
    it's marginally better than my old battery. I am still not convinced that this was a battery issue, looks more like a software glitch to me.

22. richpuer macrumors 6502

my ip5 shuts off at 20-30% remaining. then i plug it in the charger and boom, i get a 33% charge in less than a minute.

Something is def wrong with the software. prior to updating to ios7 i had zero issues with battery. doubt the battery got killed in the last weeks ios7 launched.

23. Oui macrumors 6502

Wow. What a waste of time that was.
    Following this articles instructions turn off everything. Better yet just put the iPhone back on ots box and leave it, don't forget to turn it off first.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You are right.
    My battery was absolutely fine with iOS 6, so it's not a faulty one.
    My iPhone 5 is just 8 months old.

----------

I do agree.
    The difference between everything turned off and everything on is just a few minutes.
    For my iPhone 5 a restore as new made no difference at all.

Now I hope in 7.0.3

25. User*09 macrumors member

Wow, easy on the knee jerk reaction :).

Experiment based on how you use your phone. I think we have all had enough experience with mainstream technology the past 3 years to have learned at least that much or at least one can learn that on forums like these.

Just turn off what you don't need on or test to see what drains your battery the most. I never use spotlight on my iPhone or my iPad mini, so turning of that function did the trick for me, as well as limiting the frequency of fetch and push notifications.

As of the 7.0.3 update, I have been running a dynamic wallpaper on my iPhone and my iPad mini with no significant battery drain. I think as time goes on Apple will fix these little issues with future updates