Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
These AT&T response ads are interesting. Verizon attacks them straight-on, and AT&T can't refute any of their network weaknesses, so they respond with red herrings.

Verizon talks about AT&T's minuscule 3G coverage. AT&T's response? "Well yes, it is small, but when you find some, you can talk and use data at the same time!"

Only problem is, unless you're living inside metropolitan regions, and only select ones at that, you won't be inside 3G so AT&T's response falls short and merely supports Verizon's statement. Even if you live in a 3G area, expect AT&T to drop in and out of that and Edge. And then, you'll get the following question mark to AT&T's entire current ad campaign:

iphone1.PNG

or...

iphone2.PNG

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Even if you live in a 3G area, expect AT&T to drop in and out of that and Edge. And then, you'll get the following question mark to AT&T's entire current ad campaign:

Really? I live in a 3G area and don't drop in and out of EDGE. I have a solid 3G connection all the time here.

Remember, your city does not equal the entire country or represent AT&T's coverage in other parts of the country. That's why these types of posts are worthless.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
You have to be on 3G for data and voice to work at the same time. I figured you knew that.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
but can verizon's network do it at all? besides, i get great edge and 3g were i live. its a phone, you dont need to use the internet and talk to someone at the same time. its a nice feature but it can be distracting. also, i never have a dropped call. never. every thing verizon says is crap. have you ever been on verizon's network? they rip you off every way because of their technique of writing, to make their contracts extremely boring, to where you dont read it, and sometimes u do read it but forget stuff cuz thats how boring it is...and thats where they put the fine print. at&t is better, theyre upfront with you and tell you everything you have to pay. also, can a verizon phone have full control over a computer like the iphone can? are verizon's phones jailbreakable? they really need to think things over before bashing at&t because their service, and phones all suck. they use the same os, and its the same thing with every phone. boring as crap. they only allow their app store on the phones, and guess what? theres like 2 apps, and they both suck.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
they rip you off every way because of their technique of writing, to make their contracts extremely boring, to where you dont read it, and sometimes u do read it but forget stuff cuz thats how boring it is...and thats where they put the fine print.

On behalf of all contract writers out there, I'm so thankful for people like you!:D

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
And with such a small 3G network, that's why the argument is a red herring.
The term "small" is relative.
AT&T has 3G coverage in high density population areas.
AT&T has 3G coverage for 233 million people.
Verizon has 3G coverage for 280 million people.
These are 2009 numbers.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I'm a bit confused. Why is this addressed to Luke Wilson? Man needs to eat. I've had zero issues with AT&T in my area. Ive had them since 1999. I'll admit early on yes but in the last 6 years not one issue. Tried a verizon phone for two weeks and gave them there garbage service back.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If you are on Verizon and you get to an area with no 3G coverage what do you fall back on in order to make calls?

if you are on the web and an important phone call comes in what happens?

Verizon has a lackluster selection of phones

Verizon nickel and dimes you on your bills

Verizon's customer service is horrible once they have you in a contract and have your money

BLAH
BLAH
BLAH

who cares!!!

they are both 2 evil corporations who just want your money so unless they are profit sharing with you who cares? stop defending corporations who dont give a **** about you as an individual past your wallet

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
but at&t's not as evil as verizon. =D

I completely agree with you. I was on AT&T for about 4 years, switched over to Verizon because I was on a family plan with my dad. After 1 year we switched back. Verizon's customer service was awful. They were less than unhelpful 99% of the time. In my area Verizon was not nearly as good or as fast as AT&T. I switched back when I got the 3G a little over a year ago. Have been very happy with customer service, have had maybe 1 or 2 drop calls total. Always have full 3G service and has always been pretty fast for me. No complaints from me.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
These AT&T response ads are interesting. Verizon attacks them straight-on, and AT&T can't refute any of their network weaknesses, so they respond with red herrings.

They responded.

Right on their own website:

AT&T said:
AT&T's wireless data coverage reaches 303 million people -- or 97% of the U.S. population, where they live and work.

AT&T has the nation's fastest 3G network. This network covers 233 million people or 75% of the population. All AT&T 3G devices connect to AT&T's EDGE network covering 301 million people or 96% of the population.

I mean, that's not the response that you wanted to hear, I guess, but to say they haven't responded and have only talked about red herrings is just a false statement.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Also on AT&T if you are in an EDGE area or only get an EDGE signal and you are using data, if someone calls you it will be sent to voicemail. On Verizon's 3G and 1x networks if someone calls you when you are using data the data will be paused and the call will go through.

That right there is the ultimate fail.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Also on AT&T if you are in an EDGE area or only get an EDGE signal and you are using data, if someone calls you it will be sent to voicemail. On Verizon's 3G and 1x networks if someone calls you when you are using data the data will be paused and the call will go through.

False. If you are on AT&T EDGE the data will pause and the call will come in. Just ask anyone who used the first gen iPhone.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Wouldn't the ultimate fail be being wrong about the ultimate fail?

Calls come through when using data on Edge. Original iPhone here.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
False. If you are on AT&T EDGE the data will pause and the call will come in. Just ask anyone who used the first gen iPhone.

Well, it might depend on your market:

We previously noted that the iPhone may miss calls while sleeping (locked). Some users are now reporting what seems to be a significant issue where their iPhones cannot receive incoming calls while transferring EDGE data. Here, in a nutshell, is what appears to be happening:

The iPhone cannot simultaneously use EDGE and voice services. That is, if you are on a call, you cannot concurrently access EDGE-data functions. In addition, as documented in Knowledge Base article #305711:

"While iPhone is actively transferring data over EDGEâ??downloading a webpage, for exampleâ??you may not be able to receive calls. Incoming calls may go to voicemail."

The "may not be able to receive calls" portion stems from the fact that there are two types of EDGE network types, NOM1 and NOM2. When your iPhone is connected to a NOM1 network, the data transmission will generally be interrupted, and the incoming call allowed to come through. When your iPhone is connected to a NOM2 network, however, the EDGE data transfer process cannot be interrupted, and the call will generally go to voicemail.

Fortunately, there is a way to check whether you are connected to a NOM1 or NOM2 network. First, put your iPhone in field test mode by accessing the Phone application, tapping Keypad, then entering *3001#12345#* and pressing Call.

Tap GPRS Information and look at the entry next to nom. It will be either 1 or 2. If you see a 1, you'll likely be able to receive a call while transferring data. If you see a 2, you likely won't.

Unfortunately, it appears that NOM2 is much more prevalent on AT&T's data network. In fact, we've yet to see our iPhone connect to a NOM1 network. As such, we can't even state with certainty that the iPhone supports NOM1 at all.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115034-233.html

I know when I had the iPhone I put it in EDGE mode and started streaming, then called my phone from a landline. Sure enough, straight to voicemail. The article has instructions to determine which type (NOM1 or 2) AT&T uses in your area.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i will be the one to go there and say that the next iphone will probably the best one yet because steve said it will just destroy the other phones, he did not say it in that exact wording but u get it ;)

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
My entire area where I live is covered in 3G. Our home (Upstairs,downstairs and basement) all have 5 bars of 3G Internet:cool: and it has never switched to Edge unless I turn off 3G (Duh). Sucks for the people that aren't in 3G

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
EDGE pauses data and allows calls in. 1st Gen iPhone user.

Uh no it doesn't and I learned that the hard way. How? I used to listen to Slacker Radio on Edge to save battery and every time I stopped listening I would get all sorts of voice mails and what not because the phone would not ring while using data.

I tried it again using my sisters Blackberry 8700 (Edge only phone) and when I tried to call her while loading a webpage it went straight to voice mail too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.