for Luke Wilson

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FrankieTDouglas, Feb 12, 2010.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

These AT&T response ads are interesting. Verizon attacks them straight-on, and AT&T can't refute any of their network weaknesses, so they respond with red herrings.

Verizon talks about AT&T's minuscule 3G coverage. AT&T's response? "Well yes, it is small, but when you find some, you can talk and use data at the same time!"

Only problem is, unless you're living inside metropolitan regions, and only select ones at that, you won't be inside 3G so AT&T's response falls short and merely supports Verizon's statement. Even if you live in a 3G area, expect AT&T to drop in and out of that and Edge. And then, you'll get the following question mark to AT&T's entire current ad campaign:

[​IMG]

or...

[​IMG]

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Really? I live in a 3G area and don't drop in and out of EDGE. I have a solid 3G connection all the time here.

Remember, your city does not equal the entire country or represent AT&T's coverage in other parts of the country. That's why these types of posts are worthless.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You have to be on 3G for data and voice to work at the same time. I figured you knew that.

4. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

And with such a small 3G network, that's why the argument is a red herring.

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

but can verizon's network do it at all? besides, i get great edge and 3g were i live. its a phone, you dont need to use the internet and talk to someone at the same time. its a nice feature but it can be distracting. also, i never have a dropped call. never. every thing verizon says is crap. have you ever been on verizon's network? they rip you off every way because of their technique of writing, to make their contracts extremely boring, to where you dont read it, and sometimes u do read it but forget stuff cuz thats how boring it is...and thats where they put the fine print. at&t is better, theyre upfront with you and tell you everything you have to pay. also, can a verizon phone have full control over a computer like the iphone can? are verizon's phones jailbreakable? they really need to think things over before bashing at&t because their service, and phones all suck. they use the same os, and its the same thing with every phone. boring as crap. they only allow their app store on the phones, and guess what? theres like 2 apps, and they both suck.

6. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

On behalf of all contract writers out there, I'm so thankful for people like you!:D

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The term "small" is relative.
    AT&T has 3G coverage in high density population areas.
    AT&T has 3G coverage for 233 million people.
    Verizon has 3G coverage for 280 million people.
    These are 2009 numbers.

8. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I'm a bit confused. Why is this addressed to Luke Wilson? Man needs to eat. I've had zero issues with AT&T in my area. Ive had them since 1999. I'll admit early on yes but in the last 6 years not one issue. Tried a verizon phone for two weeks and gave them there garbage service back.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

If you are on Verizon and you get to an area with no 3G coverage what do you fall back on in order to make calls?

if you are on the web and an important phone call comes in what happens?

Verizon has a lackluster selection of phones

Verizon nickel and dimes you on your bills

Verizon's customer service is horrible once they have you in a contract and have your money

BLAH
    BLAH
    BLAH

who cares!!!

they are both 2 evil corporations who just want your money so unless they are profit sharing with you who cares? stop defending corporations who dont give a **** about you as an individual past your wallet

10. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I completely agree with you. I was on AT&T for about 4 years, switched over to Verizon because I was on a family plan with my dad. After 1 year we switched back. Verizon's customer service was awful. They were less than unhelpful 99% of the time. In my area Verizon was not nearly as good or as fast as AT&T. I switched back when I got the 3G a little over a year ago. Have been very happy with customer service, have had maybe 1 or 2 drop calls total. Always have full 3G service and has always been pretty fast for me. No complaints from me.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hey, yo, Frankie. Another Verizon thread? Seriously?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    What part of your have to be on 3G for voice and data at once you didnt figure out?
    Wait for Luke to put out another commercial to clarify it for ya :D

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They responded.

Right on their own website:

I mean, that's not the response that you wanted to hear, I guess, but to say they haven't responded and have only talked about red herrings is just a false statement.

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

16. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Also on AT&T if you are in an EDGE area or only get an EDGE signal and you are using data, if someone calls you it will be sent to voicemail. On Verizon's 3G and 1x networks if someone calls you when you are using data the data will be paused and the call will go through.

That right there is the ultimate fail.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

MR only needs 5 more Verizon threads to set the record for most threads started on one subject. Besides, it's Friday.

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

False. If you are on AT&T EDGE the data will pause and the call will come in. Just ask anyone who used the first gen iPhone.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wouldn't the ultimate fail be being wrong about the ultimate fail?

Calls come through when using data on Edge. Original iPhone here.

20. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Well, it might depend on your market:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115034-233.html

I know when I had the iPhone I put it in EDGE mode and started streaming, then called my phone from a landline. Sure enough, straight to voicemail. The article has instructions to determine which type (NOM1 or 2) AT&T uses in your area.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've had both happen (calls come thru or calls go to VVM).

22. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i will be the one to go there and say that the next iphone will probably the best one yet because steve said it will just destroy the other phones, he did not say it in that exact wording but u get it ;)

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

EDGE pauses data and allows calls in. 1st Gen iPhone user.

24. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

My entire area where I live is covered in 3G. Our home (Upstairs,downstairs and basement) all have 5 bars of 3G Internet:cool: and it has never switched to Edge unless I turn off 3G (Duh). Sucks for the people that aren't in 3G

25. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Uh no it doesn't and I learned that the hard way. How? I used to listen to Slacker Radio on Edge to save battery and every time I stopped listening I would get all sorts of voice mails and what not because the phone would not ring while using data.

I tried it again using my sisters Blackberry 8700 (Edge only phone) and when I tried to call her while loading a webpage it went straight to voice mail too.