Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabooky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I wasn't sure what section to post this in- anyway

I thought this would be important for all the apple cultists who always say, well I don't know why you'd want to run windows on a mac, mac os has all the software you need. - Well the truth is they don't not for me anyway.

I'm sure some of you out there have heard of Autodesk.
http://usa.autodesk.com/

Autodesk is the worlds reliance of among other titles AutoCad. This software is a standard around the world, besides AutoCad their other software titles are standards as well, dealing with mechanical engineering based platforms that I use, or architecture, topographical cartography, oh yah- I'm sure you've heard of 3ds Max too.

If your thinking about a virtual pc type emulation- think again because the software is requires the number crunching that an emulator just can't provide.

Now as much as I'd love Autodesk to make their products run natively in Mac OS, they have obviously not found the Mac market to be a big enough niche to make it cost effective.

I also do alot of work with digital music, and for this my hardware and software is great on the native mac os environment.

I'm sorry Apple, until Autodesk conforms, you will not satisfy.

I hope this sheds some light on you super mac-enthusiasts, i'd be glad to field any questions you may have.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
That's good to know I suppose.

While there is a general impression that Mac fans just dis everything windows/ms, I think you'd find most people here are pretty understanding about things like this.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I presume you are using this in connection with your work ?

So can your work not provide you with a cheap PC or if you are self employed buy a PC as a business expense.

PC's are as cheap as chips (french fried even ;) ) these days

and buy a mac also :) , an Intel mac mini can share the peripherals such as monitor and keyboard

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
kabooky said:

I thought this would be important for all the apple cultists ....

I hope this sheds some light on you super mac-enthusiasts, i'd be glad to field any questions you may have.
I have one question: Did you come to this forum just to call people names?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
kabooky said:
... all the apple cultists ...
kabooky said:
... I hope this sheds some light on you super mac-enthusiasts ...
Now, this is how to get a sympathetic hearing. All you other noobs out there, take note.

You see, the problem is, everyone on both sides is generalizing from their own experience. You think that because you need a windows program, you can't buy a Mac, and you don't know why everyone else doesn't think the same way. The "apple cultists" can run all the software they need on their Macs and don't understand why anyone would want to run a windows app.

Others, like me, have access to a Windows PC but would like to have the choice of running everything on one computer. For me, even now there's no big problem. My Dell laptop is dual boot into Linux and Wine runs the only PC program I need flawlessly. I have VNC set up so I can access it any time from my Mac. And as an aside, since I got my Mac, I've booted into Windows only to do Windows Update.

But anyway, this issue is moot. Someone, soon if it hasn't been done already, is going to get Windows running on an Intel Mac.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
plinden said:
But anyway, this issue is moot. Someone, soon if it hasn't been done already, is going to get Windows running on an Intel Mac.

True, soon Macs will be able to truly do it all (Mac, Windoze, & Linux).

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
To the OP, I also find that the lack of AutoCAD is possibly the biggest hurdle (besides monetarily) to my switching. You're right in that emulation won't cut it and there aren't any (good/usable) alternatives to AutoCAD on the Mac OS platform. I think that the transition to intel and the increased usage of Apple computers is a positive step in the right direction for getting AutoCAD to be ported. Possbly another ray of light at the end of the tunnel, however, is Autodesk's acquisition of Alias (the makers of Maya). Maya is cross-platform, and I believe that it will continue to be developed as such. The good news is that this is a round-about way of breaking in to a new platform (OS X), and hopefully this will find its way into other Autodesk programs (read: AutoCAD and 3ds). My fingers are crossed: I'd love to see AutoCAD running natively on a Mac someday in the near future.

Then again, if we have to dual-boot with windows in order to see AutoCAD running at "full-speed" (compared to WinPC's) on a Mac, then I'll take what I can get.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
i think the OP is assuming that all Mac OS X users hate Windows and tell people not to use it EVER!. It's true most people i know could use OS X and never worry about Windows again, but a few people use software that is Windows only, and thats fine, but i like my Mac OS X. I know it's better then Windows, and anyone who ask me that i will tell them OS X is better for almost all people.(minus hardcore Computer Gamers , users who need software the crap companys only make for one OS, help MS with its control over the computer world)

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
zap2 said:
i think the OP is assuming that all Mac OS X users hate Windows and tell people not to use it EVER!. It's true most people i know could use OS X and never worry about Windows again, but a few people use software that is Windows only, and thats fine, but i like my Mac OS X. I know it's better then Windows, and anyone who ask me that i will tell them OS X is better for almost all people.(minus hardcore Computer Gamers , users who need software the crap companys only make for one OS, help MS with its control over the computer world)

You will find the major reason people NEED windows is easy access to illegal software either from their work or cracked copies if you ask me;)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
plinden said:
Now, this is how to get a sympathetic hearing. All you other noobs out there, take note.
Agreed.

You see, the problem is, everyone on both sides is generalizing from their own experience. You think that because you need a windows program, you can't buy a Mac, and you don't know why everyone else doesn't think the same way.
kabooky's logical fallacy (not that he's alone in doing this) is in assuming that his needs somehow dictate what my needs are.

FWIW, I'm familiar with Autodesk. And its been my general observation over the past decade+ that it has a disproportionate share of rude, egotistical users. No exception here.

Locally, we don't use Autodesk. We use Pro/Engineer. Granted, Pro/E doesn't have a Mac flavor either, but because we use other M&S tools such as LS-Dyna, what we've learned is that for serious jobs, no desktop PC has anywhere near enough horsepower.

For us, the right tool for the job was an SGI Altix 3000. It cut down our runtimes from 4 days (~90 hours) to around 10 hours. I'll let the OP go look up the retail price, in consideration that we quickly maxxed it out and then canabalized it into a more capable SGI Altix 4000 series.

In any event, the common guiding philsophy is to use the right tool for the job. Sometimes, its a Mac. Sometimes, its a Windows PC. Sometimes, its neither.

And sometimes, it is a "core" set of common tasks that multiple OS's and Platforms more than adequately support, so it simply do not matter.

When we then invoke the Pareto Principle, its application here is that roughly 80% of users don't generally need to run anything that is particularly unique to the OS...which means that the OP's claim is pragmatically moot.

Because we don't need to kill mosquito's with sledge hammers.

-hh

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
jdechko said:
To the OP, I also find that the lack of AutoCAD is possibly the biggest hurdle (besides monetarily) to my switching. You're right in that emulation won't cut it and there aren't any (good/usable) alternatives to AutoCAD on the Mac OS platform. I think that the transition to intel and the increased usage of Apple computers is a positive step in the right direction for getting AutoCAD to be ported. Possbly another ray of light at the end of the tunnel, however, is Autodesk's acquisition of Alias (the makers of Maya). Maya is cross-platform, and I believe that it will continue to be developed as such. The good news is that this is a round-about way of breaking in to a new platform (OS X), and hopefully this will find its way into other Autodesk programs (read: AutoCAD and 3ds). My fingers are crossed: I'd love to see AutoCAD running natively on a Mac someday in the near future.

Then again, if we have to dual-boot with windows in order to see AutoCAD running at "full-speed" (compared to WinPC's) on a Mac, then I'll take what I can get.

autodesk is making a mac version of autocad, plus there other programs on the mac

Here is a link to apple profile for architecture.

http://www.apple.com/business/solutions/architecture.html

kabooky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Ok, to clear the air a little, If you read carefully, i was addressing the apple- cultists and super enthusiasts, It was not my intention to label everyone here as such. I could try to come up with a PC term but what is the use.

Alright, someone suggested using two computers, very viable idea, but-
a. I'm a college student, so financially that is a no-go.
b. I need to take my work with me overseas annually.

So a mac laptop would be exactly what I want and need.

Lastly, I do think the new macs being intel, along with Maya underway, Autodesk may bring their titles around to OS X a little faster.

--- I enjoyed your rant hh, thought it was great,- the only reason I feel I need things to work in one box is really portability and as far as laptops go, do you suggest I should get anything but a Mac?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
kabooky said:

I thought this would be important for all the apple cultists who always say, well I don't know why you'd want to run windows on a mac, mac os has all the software you need. - Well the truth is they don't not for me anyway.

I'm sure some of you out there have heard of Autodesk.
http://usa.autodesk.com/

Autodesk is the worlds reliance of among other titles AutoCad. This software is a standard around the world, besides AutoCad their other software titles are standards as well, dealing with mechanical engineering based platforms that I use, or architecture, topographical cartography, oh yah- I'm sure you've heard of 3ds Max too.

If your thinking about a virtual pc type emulation- think again because the software is requires the number crunching that an emulator just can't provide.

Now as much as I'd love Autodesk to make their products run natively in Mac OS, they have obviously not found the Mac market to be a big enough niche to make it cost effective.

I also do alot of work with digital music, and for this my hardware and software is great on the native mac os environment.

I'm sorry Apple, until Autodesk conforms, you will not satisfy.

I can agree....I am a civil engineer myself and autocad is very important. However if you love macs, then you wont mind having your workplace supply you with a pc or even shell out a few chips yourself to buy a pc just for these types of software. I know engineers dont really like macs, but I do.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
kabooky said:
--- I enjoyed your rant hh, thought it was great,- the only reason I feel I need things to work in one box is really portability and as far as laptops go, do you suggest I should get anything but a Mac?

If the software you want isn't on OS X why would you even consider a Mac? I was checking out the new Toshiba T2400 Core Duo notebooks today at work why not just get one of them (or some other brand) and run Windows?

Computers are tools or toys they aren't anything else you should just use whatever you need to use, but then I guess I wouldn't come on a forum and start calling people names because some app I use isn't ported to their OS of choice.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
If you have to run Windows, why you would buy a Mac in the first place when you can get so many types of PCs for much much cheaper?

That's a lot of extra money to spend to have a computer that looks like a Mac but runs Windows. That defies the point of most of the extra price in Macs.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
-hh said:
Agreed.

kabooky's logical fallacy (not that he's alone in doing this) is in assuming that his needs somehow dictate what my needs are.

Wow, people need to chill!:cool:

This guy is not trying to tell any of us what OUR needs are- he simply made a post as to why HE would like MS to boot on a Mac. Here is his quote: Well the truth is they don't not for me anyway"

He is only writing about himself. Everyone who is attacking him for saying mac enthusiasts or cultist is (in my opinion) taking things a little too personal. While I dont think he should have chosen the exact words, he was cautious about where he shoudl post, I am glad he posted and actually cult does in fact describe us if you take this defintion straight from the apple widget dictionary:

A person or thing that is popular or fashionable, especially among a particular section of society.

I think if we understand our competition a little better we can compete better. I dont' care if someone boots widows and I am sure some people would rather work on one computer (that their office pays for) instead of having two. I know if I was in his situation I would rather have a Mac Book Pro that my worrk paid for and boots Windows for my work stuff, but I can take it home to use for creating music, etc.'

I also don't think everyone is reading his entire post- he said he likes to create music on a Mac! That is why he likes a Mac! In fact, he says his hardware is great on the native Mac OS environment.

I understand (and fully support) attacking a troll, but not someone who seems to be sincere for the most part in my opinon should be given a break. I hate MS as much as the next guy (well, It is obvious not as much as the others) but some people need it but love the Mac. :rolleyes: It sure seems to me that this person would be a Mac "cultist" if he could get his AutoCad, etc on a Mac.

(off topic- why can't you cut and paste from the stupid dictionary widget- or can you?)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
munkees said:
autodesk is making a mac version of autocad, plus there other programs on the mac

Here is a link to apple profile for architecture.

http://www.apple.com/business/solutions/architecture.html

I didn't know that there was a Mac version in the works. That's really cool. Anyway, I know that there are alternatives that work very well, and sometimes even better. But it's not just about me either. There is the rest of the office to consider as well. (Especially since we just convinced the owner to upgrade us to 2006). Anyway, hopefully one day it will become a moot point in one of 2 ways: either Autodesk will release a Mac compatible version (likely, if what you say is true--I don't doubt it) or I will quit this job and do something that I really want to do.

Personally, I'd switch to the Mac regardless if it weren't for financial reasons. I have no problem keeping a 2nd computer for CAD work at home (or dual booting now that they've got a solution). There's a great CAD machine at the office right now, so that's a non-issue. But as I said earlier, what would be best is if I just quit this job and went on to something more fun.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
flyfish29 said:

He is only writing about himself. Everyone who is attacking him for saying mac enthusiasts or cultist is (in my opinion) taking things a little too personal. ....
Please explain exactly how mentioning mac cultists and mac enthusiasts show that the OP was talking about himself. Take away the name calling and all you have is a post that says that the Mac does not serve OP's needs. This is not exactly the kind of news that merits interrupting a TV broadcast of the NBA Finals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.