For people with the 15" with 460 GPU...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maroonie, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Maroonie macrumors member

Maroonie

Trying to anecdotally figure out what % of these machines are having problems ahead of receiving mine next week. Can you post if you've had issues or no issues please folks. (As it's only normal that people having a bad experience will make posts etc, which is totally understandable)

Thanks alot, and I hope any one with affected units get replacements soon.

2. maroony macrumors newbie

maroony

What kind of issues has the model with a 460?

3. Maroonie thread starter macrumors member

Maroonie

Lol that our names are the same :')

I'm seeing people reporting graphics tearing and glitches, which usually means there's a hardware / connection to MoBo problem as evidenced in some earlier retina MPBs with discreet GPUs.

4. viljamip macrumors regular

I think there has been a few graphics issues. Those might be just immature drivers as the graphics card is very new. Of course they could be caused by a manufacturing defect too. I have seen reported temperatures of around 80°C even in heavy benchmarks for the 460 so long term longevity looks good. I would not worry about it for now: If you have a manufacturing defect, it will show up early and Apple will fix it for you.

5. maroony macrumors newbie

maroony

Thanks for the explanations. My machine should arrive next week and I will run some tests.

@Maroonie: great nick name;-)

6. symphara macrumors 6502a

I had two laptops with manufacturing defects (one in the CPU packaging, one in the dGPU packaging - both bad batches from Intel and nVidia respectively) and both defects produced effects after the 2-years warranty period expired. The one with the CPU problems limped for a while, the one with the dGPU problem simply stopped booting when it happened.

7. viljamip macrumors regular

I have had two MBPs die with overheating Nvidia graphics. Both died after the warranty had expired. Those machines ran really hot, late 2011 got to over 100°C in a heart beat. Usually it's the heat that gets them. To make my life easier, I got Apple Care this time. Hopefully I won't need it. Both of my dead MBPs had the exact symptoms described in Apple's extender repair programmes but as their serial number "were not affected" and I have no Apple stores to go to complain I was SOL. I'm still using my early 2008 MBP with its replaced 700€ logic board.

8. symphara macrumors 6502a

Yeah I imagine a lot of manufacturing defects show up late. It's particularly bad if they do after the warranty expires, considering that warranty is relatively short. If you pay 3k+ for a laptop it's not funny if it breaks down after two years.

My first laptop with a problem (the one with a CPU problem) was a Sony Vaio, and it started exhibiting it exactly one week after the warranty expired. I checked with Sony and they wanted to replace the whole board for a price higher than a new laptop's, so I passed.

9. Kris.K macrumors newbie

Kris.K

This is what im having..

Very poor battery life.. (hours) and i'm only web browsing.. (both safari and chrome)

Graphic card glitches.. (not alot but they happen and it's annoying when its in something like youtube)

CPU Thermal protection kicks in WAY too much and stops the laptop from getting the full benefit of this CPU. (I have the 2.9ghz)

10. Rafterman, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

Rafterman macrumors 68000

1. Don't look for problems ahead of time.

2. I doubt there are "affected units". With so many people reporting issues, it's 99 percent certain that its software issues, not hardware, and all the people getting theirs replaced are probably wasting their time and effort.

11. jk76 macrumors member

I haven't had any issues which would seem hardware-related. Before the latest beta, I saw occasional phantom power draw on the dGPU although it wasn't used by any application. This was clearly a software-based power management problem, and went away on upgrade. Still on latest beta, I see Safari enabling discrete GPU and sticking using it in situations when it doesn't make sense, but that seems even more a software issue.

I don't use dGPU much because it can increase power draw by 50% when the laptop is idle, but I haven't seen issues apart from those above, either.

12. laser71 macrumors regular

A couple of intermitted issues, with a brief screen flicker - although one time it went completely red and had to be hard-restarted. Coming from a 2011, I was really looking to be done with the GPU problems...

13. runner77 macrumors member

14. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

0 issues with mine.

Don't worry ahead of actually getting the thing. Just enjoy it :)

15. Merlin_the_mog macrumors newbie

No issues with mine either.
    It's awesome.

16. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

it's just people (understandably) pissed because they waited 5 weeks for a machine then it was faulty

if you have an issue just bring it back and get a new machine from apple

yeah it's inconvenient, but like, it's not a huge deal.

17. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Mine have been incredibly minor. The screen has flickered to black very shortly (less than a second) maybe once or twice and I've seen one instance of a small red box appearing in Safari when using Youtube.

Nothing besides that, including no issues using Photoshop or Bridge. Definitely not something I would chalk up to faulty hardware, just driver/macOS issues.

18. Carilyn macrumors member

Carilyn

Just put my new 15" 2.9/512/460 through some normal for me work with photoshop and Lightroom. Zero issues. Love this laptop. It's beautiful and so snappy.

I was one of the unlucky ones to receive it with a scratch out of the box but it's minor and I'm very pleased that I decided to get the new MBP.

19. ArchimeZix macrumors 6502

ArchimeZix

Which version of macOS are you using. 10.12.2 ??

It might be a software issue that damage hardware but only with an older macOS release than 10.12.2.

now the new units should ship with the latest releases of macOS which should prevent the issue

20. echoout macrumors 6502a

I returned mine today for lots of other issues but this wasn't one of them.

21. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Exactly correct, and well said.

22. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Could you please elaborate this point more?

23. maroony macrumors newbie

maroony

24. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

25. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

2.7Ghz 512GB Pro 460, zero defects. Runs like a dream, super cool when gaming (maxes out around 70C). Big improvement over the skin burning nMBP it replaced.