For People Worrying About The Battery Life!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdzProductions, Oct 19, 2011.

1. AdzProductions macrumors newbie

Why?.. just chill and stop watching your % and use the damn phone you purchased.

I get that you guys may be pi**ed off that you paid for the phone and then the battery seems to be lacking, but seriously you are surprised when the phone shoots great 1080p video and has a kick ass camera?.

People of todays world need to realise that everything comes at a price, yes the iPhone 4 may have better standby time battery life however the images don't look half as good and the hardware is worse.

TL;DR: Stop whining about your battery life, accept that better hardware often means worse battery life.

p.s Debate don't hate.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The iPad 2 got given a load of new features, including the same A5 chip and the battery didn't get effected.

Its not about having the battery % showing, its about not making it through a day on a single charge.

4. wurt macrumors member

The iPad battery is Much larger.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Nah mate, when you got to sleep and your battery is at 40% and then you wake up 8hrs later and it's at 7%, that ain't right, ain't right at all.

6. princealyy macrumors regular

The issue isn't the phone having features that we all love, or viewing the battery life it is about the fact that apple made certain claims on battery life and that didn't hold up to be true.

A lot or people depend on their phones as a business tool, and need to be charged (main reason I left blackberry is the new 9930 didn't last long enough)

All most people want is the phone to last as long as advertised or to have apple update their claims so future owners can plan accordingly (most people would prefer the first option I am sure)

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess I've never really understood why folks don't charge their battery when they sleep instead of letting it run down?

I have no idea how much charge my battery would lose overnight because it is plugged in at night

When do you charge your battery?
    During the day when you are out using it?

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I do this too. Just before I go to bed I put it in my dock and wake up to a freshly charged iPhone. I use it quite a lot during the day and if I left it it would probably last a day and a half but I don't want to be out with a flat battery for half a day.

I do run my battery completely flat once a month as recommended by Apple but that's it. As long as my iPhone runs from when I wake up to when I go to bed with the fairly heavy usage I put on it that's what I'm happy with.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you are not getting enough juice, I have three words for you.

Juice. Pack. Air. :cool:

10. urkel macrumors 68030

This whole "charge it at night" advice is just a deflection to the actual problem.

People dont mention their battery drain because they're too dumb to charge their phones at night. They mention it because if a battery is draining during zero usage then it can only be worse in the daytime when they actually are using it to get things done.

As much as the OP would prefer people quit affecting his life by voicing out an opinion, this is a major issue that affects the way we use our phones.

11. nitemare macrumors regular

but when a battery goes from 100% to 75% in 2 hours with full signal strength with wifi/bluetooth/ all location services turned off, push email off, no texting, no call, no web surfing, basically just sitting in standby, somethings wrong with the battery life. at least on my phone any way. i did a complete restore and even left all my apps off

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It could be the battery, or it could be some process/apps stuck doing something that is consuming the perfectly functioning battery. I mean, iOS5 could have a bug. It is possible. I've heard weirder things happen....

13. lateralus1082 macrumors member

I made it on a single charge all day.

Attached Files:

14. tinycg macrumors member

Got a replacement

I got mine replaced at the local Apple Store after it was draining battery like it had a virtual leak. It was also constantly warm even on standby.

They ran diagnostics and said the phone had only been used 14mins since its full charge, and was already down below 20%, and that was after the 3rd partial charge just so I could bring it in with some juice. It would lose about a 1% every 3mins or so.

This new one so far seems good, granted I got it last night. But it does seem, whether its hardware, or something with the software restore, or new sync restore causing an issue with the 4s and its battery.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

True, but I can't talk on my iPad... ;)

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I think the issue is that some 4S's are getting much worse battery life than others.

17. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

People are dumb. They expect their phone to have Miraculous battery life..
    But then they constantly use 3G/WiFi, Games, Texting, Calls, Etc etc.

18. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

I have only had the phone on standby and it losses 12% an hour.

19. tsduke macrumors regular

I more upset at how fast it drops when doing absolutely nothing.:(

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

Mines is dropping fast also. I'm going to turn off Siri and some of the location based things.

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think they just expect it to have the same battery performance as the phone that came before it... not really too much to ask for is it?

22. nishishei macrumors regular

My 4S battery is doing great....

Turn off iCloud, location services except for Maps, and get rid of weather and stock in the notifications.

Easily makes it to the end of the day:

Attached Files:

• 4s.jpg
      4s.jpg
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  23. nitro230 macrumors newbie

I tested my 4s's battery the other night. I unplugged it at 100% and 7 hours later when I woke up it was at 93% so on standby it lost 1% per hour which is perfectly acceptable to me. I had WiFi, Bluetooth, siri, icloud, locations for various apps, and all my standard push notification (google, facebook, etc) turned on.

From what I am hearing it seems like there is definitely a problem with some of the phones if they are losing 20-30% battery by being on standby overnight. If I were one of you I would go get a replacement.

P.S. I did this test after letting my battery drain to zero and than back to 100% twice.

24. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Turn off ping in restrictions, Siri(HUGE Drain), Location based iAds, Traffic, Compass Calibration(unless you absolutely need it), set email to fetch manually with no push, and make sure your multitasking bar is clear.

Oh, and most importantly: TURN YOUR SCREEN BRIGHTNESS DOWN. This is actually the largest draw of power with any and all smartphones.

25. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I don't know if I have a "problem" with my battery but it does seem a little weird when I unplug my phone at 6:30 AM with 100% charge and its at 88% at 9:00 AM after sending / receiving 4 text messages and also 2 emails.

Yesterday it seemed to drop quickly in the first part of the day but at 5:00 PM it was around 40%. I was using it about an average amount yesterday and would have seen remaining life around 30% with my iP4.

I think it might be a bit early to make generalizations that the battery life is great, or it sucks or anything else. People have had their phones for 5 days now. Is that really enough time to get a good sample of the battery life? I'm going to wait on passing judgment. So far I'm generally happy. I will say though that battery life was always #1 on my wish list. Threads in the past few months where people were asking about what they wanted more, a better, camera, a bigger screen, LTE or what, hardly anyone mentioned battery life but I always did. I would have given up the camera and processor for a battery that lasted 2X as long.