iPad Pro For the Jaded and the Haters...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BrettJDeriso, Nov 15, 2015.

1. BrettJDeriso macrumors regular

{Warning: sloppy drunk "I love you, man" to follow}

I get it. It's easy to look at the iPad pro as an incremental upgrade, or just a bigger version of the same old same old, and is easy to assume that Apple has lost it's shine when you get your hopes up for magic and revolution every time Tim takes the stage and it doesn't quite live up to expectations. But I've gotta say, as someone who has been both an unquestioning devotee and a tantrum-thrower in the past, taking a year or two away from the iHype did wonders for rekindling my romance.

Skipping a few generations of iOS devices, getting your hands dirty with constant Android tweaking, and dragging yourself across the DESERT that is the Android accessory aftermarket, I have to say that coming back to the iPad via the Pro really is like a shot in the arm. Maybe it's the Bell's IPA speaking, but I freakin' LOVE this tablet AND the imperfect rollout. THIS is why I stood in line and froze my kiester off for the first and second iPhone and iPad 2. It's why I scrimped and saved to land a PowerBook G4 and the first MBA and every Macbook pro and iMac since: because some things are worth waiting for. I both love and hate the titans of Cupertino right now, and I love that their coyness, secrecy, and occasional incompetence ignites so much camaraderie and bickering and enthusiasm online. No Android rollout ever made me feel like I was part of a "club", yet every single Apple rollout I have participated in does. Every. Single. One.

Apple's not perfect. But the occasional imperfections just make me love them more. Maybe it's nostalgia; maybe it's a milder form of Stockholm Syndrome -I don't know. All I know is it's a welcome escape from the usual ho-hum, and I couldn't think of a better bunch of people to share it with.

2. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Well said. :)

3. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Nice Brett... and I love IPA's! (I live in San Diego, what other beer is there? :) )

You made a great purchase. To many, it's 'just' a bigger iPad, and always will be. To those with a little foresight, when iOS and apps catch up to its hardware capabilities it will become a giant step in the direction of future computing,

4. xPad macrumors regular

Meh, haters gonna hate.

I generally just ignore them, but when they come into our forums just to put us down is where I start to get involved.

Far too many people act like every product has to meet their own personal preferences, otherwise it somehow shouldn't exist.

5. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Did you manage to snag a Pencil?

When I queued for the iPhone 6 last year there was a "club", but it was a club that no one would want to be associated with.. The club of Scalpers :mad:

Jokes aside, there really is nothing like getting an Apple product. For those who can appreciate it, it's always a joy to learn about and use.

I remember when I first heard about the original iPad. I was skeptical like many - why didn't it have a "real" OS.

When I started using it, I realized how wrong I was. Since then I've bought every single incarnation of the iPad.... 1/2/3/4/Air/Air2/Mini1/Mini2/Mini3/Mini4.

Never regretted it. Android tablets on the other hand.... Not to mention a surface Pro that is impossible to unload now :(

6. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Funny, not because I disagree with anything you said, but as someone who has raised a determined eyebrow over the whole iPad Pro thing, I don't proclaim it's a bad product - just not as good as it should/could be to sport that Pro label.

iOS is my main issue, not the hardware - the hardware is in fact stellar, as true to Apple's legendary attention to details as ever. iOS for a pro device has killed my buzz however, it makes the iPad Pro feel like "just" a larger version of the iPad we know. As much as I love the iPad, going back to my old trusty iPad 2 from 2011, iOS to me is specifically tailored for consuming media/games/the web rather than creating anything that goes beyond short bits and sketches.

While I understand that throwing OSX on the iPad to allow it to run desktop "pro" applications certainly is not an easy fix due to the vast differences in UI and such, I'm still hoping for a "Pro" version of iOS to come along to bridge the gap in some way, offer better support, to allow the iPad easy integration with enterprise services and bring along much sturdier apps that go beyond lightweight stuff iOS was designed for.

7. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

I always know a product is very special when the completion goes full out in attack mode to find any fault. Picking the iPad Pro appart is like complaining about the color of the bikini on the super model you just took back to your place.

8. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

Cannot believe people defend iPad Pro. Look at it. Look at the brilliant marketing convincing people you do not need a mouse input. Even Surface RT had this. Happy scrolling with lifted arms.

Oh, and the device brought my straight to 2010 with the huge weight like the first iPads and the bezels. First thought I had was: outdated product. Even Apples new technology 3D touch is left out. It just felt so old, non modern. Especially the keyboard shortcuts.

9. Mystro, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Doesn't need defended. The Pro is brilliant. You either get it or you are not the demographic it was aimed at. Real honest to goodness professionals in their field are buying the iPad Pro and gushing over it. Marketing or brand loyalty has very little to do with their purchase.
    Heck, I am buying 4 iPad Pros for my company. $4400 in iPad Pros isn't even a blip in my companies operating cost. We have paid more in electronic locks that were less fun and outdated in 1 year.

10. Retrogecko macrumors member

Excellently said all around. I'm absolutely enchanted by this iPad (coming from ipad 1 to iPad mini 2 and finally the pro. This feels like the tablet I've been looking for.

I have to agree with crsh1976, I'd love to see an iOS Pro version. I wonder if Apple has that in mind. I feel like some Pro-specific adjustments to iOS could make this nearly perfect. (Especially more icons on the home screen. :rolleyes: It's the little things)

11. xPad macrumors regular

There's literally nothing about iOS that keeps it from running "pro" apps.

In fact, it has plenty right now!

And there isn't a single app in the following list that couldn't have a fully functional port (with UI changes to support touch and Pencil) to iOS today:

• Photoshop
    • Illustrator
    • Final Cut X
    • Logic
    • AutoCAD

This notion that the iPad needs OS X to be called "Pro" is misguided. And even without those apps, the iPad Pro label is just fine, as it's the iPad for Pro-level uses. That doesn't mean it can replace your MacBook Pro, any more than the MacBook Pro means you can replace your Mac Pro. There are always going to be people who need the Mac Pro, always people who need the MacBook Pro, and so on. The iPad Pro can now fit into that matrix.

Just because it doesn't fit into it for you is no more an argument for the title than someone who needs a Mac Pro decrying the MacBook Pro.

Really, the screen, power, and precision input were all that were needed to take the iPad to the next level.

12. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

I am exactly that demographic. Except i do not fall for marketing on that level.

13. xPad macrumors regular

Translation: "I can't believe people can like something I don't like."

"Are they blind?"

"The only way someone could have a different opinion from mine is if they are brainwashed."

The product MS sh-tcanned because no one bought it? That's your prime example?

Happy arguing with a straw man.

Thinner, larger screen at the same weight, astronomically higher screen resolution, 22x CPU, hundreds of times faster GPU, pen input, 16x the RAM... Yeah, it's exactly like 2010!

14. crsh1976, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps, but iOS in its current form is horrible for pro usage, with reason because that's precisely what it was not designed for (going back to a lighter mobile operating system). I'm perfectly fine with not having OSX on the iPad, it wouldn't work, but iOS isn't it either - there's something missing here. And let's be frank, we're missing pro apps for pro work, but we're also missing enterprise-friendly features to allow this device to be better integrated with work environments; again, iOS isn't directly at fault as that's not something it was designed for, but Apple needs to up its game for this product to succeed as something more than just a sketching pad/larger iPad.

15. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

Exactly my prime example. A toy device like RT and iPad "Pro" will be toys even with a trackpad. But at least it had one.

Moores law explains advancements in other areas, but not remaining 2010 points.

16. BrettJDeriso thread starter macrumors regular

Alas, I'm in the pencil queue. It will be a couple of weeks before I see one -time it will take me to get reacquainted with iOS. I'm sure when I finally do get it, the novelty will wear off within a month or two, but in the meantime, the anticipation only adds to the "squee" :D

And yeah, that scalping nonsense is a real dick move, LOL!

17. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Hooray! I'm in a clickbait / flamebait thread!

I'm not sure what's to defend about the iPad Pro. Frankly I wouldn't bother. When Tim Cook declared that you didn't need to buy a PC anymore, I knew from the start he meant Windows and not OSX. I would never buy an iPad without also having a MacBook (Pro / Air or otherwise). People still don't get it - the iPad serves a specific function - even the "Pro" is meant for tablet-focused productivity. It's not meant to be a hybrid device - people should also stop comparing / defending it against Windows. It is irrelevant - it is not competing with the Surface (although arguably competing against the Surface's market I agree).

If you don't get the iPad Pro, get the Surface. Or a MacBook. I totally support you. But I definitely think it's quite tiresome that people insist on "justifying" why they won't get an iPad Pro or choose a Surface over it. The arguments are as old as the time the original iPad launched. OK already. Now go along your away and enjoy your toy while I enjoy mine :).

18. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Go away.

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The iPad pro is fine, the iMac ...... That's where the hate should be directed to

20. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

Why? Just a debate. Would like to know people's use cases and opinions. I just have mine. Will probably be the first to buy iPad Pro 2 if it gets improved a lot.

21. BrettJDeriso thread starter macrumors regular

Absolutely. There is a kind of unquestioning partisanship in the marketplace, and while I get that is not good business to acknowledge when your competitors hit a home run, I also don't think there's any honor in being reflexively combative about it.

Working in telecom for one of the top 3 carriers for 17 years, I listened to my own company try to bash and downplay the iPhone the whole time AT&T had exclusivity. We roled out one stinker wannabe after another, all the while trying to tell ourselves it was better than the iPhone. Nobody really believed that, but that was the party line.

Nowadays, even as a lifelong Apple geek, even I have to admit that there are things Samsung and HTC does BETTER than (and long before) Apple -like 4K video, native support for open source formats like FLAC and MKV, AMOLED displays, and expandable memory -but Apple takes the time to do them RIGHT. And with all the B.S. restrictions on external storage now the norm, it's getting harder and harder to shout about the little green trashcan being an "iOS killer". Man... the hoops I gotta jump through just to get anything in our out of my Galaxy Note 4... Sheldon Cooper might be proud, but I have better things to do with my time than figure out which one of 38 methods is the most convenient

Like Andy Inahtko said years ago, I consider myself a tech geek of equal ecumenicism, and there's nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due. I just hope Sir Ive has a few more tricks up his sleeve before he retires :D

22. xPad macrumors regular

Without specifics, your argument is empty.

iPad is doing great in the enterprise, and there's nothing inherent in iOS that precludes pro level apps.

23. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Some people still think Rowdy Ronda Rousey is unbeatable but there's nothing wrong with that nor the fact that she displayed poor sportsmanship before she GKTFO.

24. xPad macrumors regular

Um... Your "point" is contradictory. Clearly a trackpad isn't necessary for something to not be a toy. You're just acting butt hurt over people liking something you don't like.

This is absurd. The things you dislike aren't "2010" things, they are "things I don't like" things. You fail to grasp the simple fact that it's ok for you to dislike something that someone else likes.

You want, nay require, a trackpad. Fine! Don't buy an iPad Pro! Buy a Mac or a PC. That's why companies still sell them!

The fact that some people fail to understand this is astonishing.

25. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

You and me aren't the same user, we don't want or expect the same things from a pro-labelled device.

I'm the first in line who wants this to work, but so far it isn't - this does nothing to improve my workflow. "Buy it and the apps will come" is a tough sell, I sure as Hell can't put that sort of promise forward when I send in a purchase order.