Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Agreed. Apple is not fashionable, per se. Apple made tech fashionable.

No, the public made tech fashionable (although you have a point about the Apple Watch, but that is a different product and meant to be unique). Few celebs used the first iterations of the iPhone. Then when it started getting hugely popular, it stopped being a "niche" product and became a status symbol.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
The apple 8.0.1 issue? You are either running a 4, 4s, or 5 with security holes as big as a crater. It's of course your preference to not update your O/S, but there is a fine line between preference and security in this digital age. IOS 7.1.2 has it all over IOS 6, but as you said it's your right, so enjoy.

Just putting it out there.

I7guy,

No, I'm not using the iPhone. iPad is running 6.1.3. I am aware of the SSL issue but I do thank you for bringing it to my attention just in case I didn't.

I'm using the device on my home network. I realize that is not a guarantee but maybe it helps a little.

I am less than pleased with Apple's bullheaded position not to serve 6.1.6 to iPad. With that type of attitude toward customers they can't make a lot of mistakes.

Thank you again for the information. I appreciate it a lot!

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
From what I heard is that he was a terrific guy to work under ( he fought like a lion for his team) but a terrible guy to work with.

I think this guy is a really, really smart and talented genius, but he sort of reminds me of the younger steve jobs. He was probably a pain in the ass for many people at apple.

Legend says that He did not get along with jonathan Ive.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
This guy may have been an arrogant jerk, but he knew his job. We never had the major versions of iOS launch as buggy as 8 did. Yes, Apple maps was not great when it launched, but the rest of the OS was not a mess. Say what you guys want, he was genius when it came to software development. Apple should really find some way to bring this guy back.

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. This iOS 8 is a huge debacle.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Heck, Ive could't create a simple large phone without ugly lines on back (he was good on MBA and others).

Forstall created whole HARDWARE and SOFTWARE divisions and oversaw their design, which has been best in its class (actually better than these cartoonish iOS7).

Bizarre revisionism. Forstall had nothing to do with hardware design. The division between hardware and software teams under Jobs/Forstall's tenure are well noted.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Hell no. Forstall had lost the plot and was responsible for the maps debacle, truly the worst thing Apple has ever done.

iOS wouldn't be any better under him today - the problem is Apple has not figured out project management of a huge OS and not a small boutique one. It makes no sense for stock apps to update through major OS changes rather than the app store, but that's a consequence of bad team design that they didn't have dedicated development teams (or where they did, they were hopeless, like Podcasts).

The WORST thing Apple has done?

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah that's the Microsoft mentality. TONS of features and non of them work correctly.

The OS is crap, but hey... at least there are TONS of features.

This is exactly what Apple NEVER did and now does, and nothing works right because of it.

This is spot on regarding what happened at Microsoft and I believe at Google with Android. These iOS releases have not been polished or baked enough. Apple is growing and the larger their internal dev teams get the harder it is to get stuff right and quality is sacrificed.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
This guy may have been an arrogant jerk, but he knew his job. We never had the major versions of iOS launch as buggy as 8 did. Yes, Apple maps was not great when it launched, but the rest of the OS was not a mess. Say what you guys want, he was genius when it came to software development. Apple should really find some way to bring this guy back.

I recall some early versions of iPhone OX having some crippling bugs.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Call me lucky then. The latest OS is running sweet on my iPad air. Ditto for the wifeys ipad 4. What's the deal? Why do some people experience these problems and others don't? If it's purely the software then wouldn't every single person that updated have basically the same problems? Logic would dictate it, me thinks.

I ain't no Apple apologizer but everytime they release anything new there is always "something" wrong. I guess. :confused:

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
I believe that Forstall may have been a pain, but it seems to me that he - while he did not have the aesthetics of Ivy - had the GUI concept that Ivy is missing. While Ivy's IOS may look pretty in a way, it is very often impractical. Indeed both of them should have gotten long and it would have been great: Ivy's look and aesthetics combined with the smart, comprehensible GUIs that Forstall knew how to implement.
Yes, he had some lousy shots in his life and apparently his ego was too big - but then again, wasn't Steve in a way similar? What I liked about Forstall was: I believed him and his excitement. When he spoke of his work, you could feel his excitement - you bought it. Tim is a smart and a great guy, but I don't buy his excitement in the keynotes.
Why were the keynotes so great? They were magic and that was powered by the excitement of Jobs.
If only Ivy and Forstall had been big enough to fit in one room, the legacy would have continued. Albeit one won, but - forgive me - I still believe iOS 6 is superior to iOS 9 when it comes to GUI. Just my 2c.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.