For the love of God! how do I delete Saft?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JGF0x, Apr 25, 2007.

1. JGF0x macrumors member

I've searched Google and these forums. I tried the search to include uninstall and Saft using all reasonable techniques with no luck. How the hell do I get rid of this crap? I downloaded Safari Stand which awesome! but Saft not so much. I thought hey, what a great tool and everyone loves it. For some people I'm sure it's just dandy. For me Safari Stand is more than enough and Saft is useful but not $10 useful and no where near useful to be annoyed with it's stupid little thank you for using my crap demo that didn't come with an uninstaller amateur hour style every few hours and each time I open Safari.

I've tried removing the input managers folder but I do have other plug-ins that I want to keep so I copy those plug-ins only yet Saft is still attached. It's like a lingering infestation that just won't stop coming back. I feel like I'm back in Windows 98 with this hell. Anyone???

2. JGF0x thread starter macrumors member

I tried exactly this. There is no Saft folder in the InputManagers folder. The Saft installer does not include an uninstall feature that I've discovered. I've read of a cache file but I've used spotlight to search for Saft to no avail.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hm, the manual method worked for me after I removed it from the library(ies) and rebooted. It was a pain, but it worked. Spotlight won't look everywhere. Maybe log in as Root, go into the system folders, and get rid of it from there. If nothing else, e-mail them or check the website.

4. JGF0x thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I got it uninstalled! For those of you who will surely seek help trying to uninstall this garbage here is how I did it:

First, close Safari.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Under Terminal type "sudo -s" without the quotation marks to log in as root.

Then enter: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Go to the blue apple at the top left of the screen -> Force Quit

Once you are under Force Quit click on "Finder" and click Relaunch

Now go to Spotlight on the opposite end of the screen and search for "Saft". It will reveal all of Saft's hidden files. Use the shift button to highlight all of them and drag it to the Trash icon. Empty the trash. If there is a file that won't delete because it's in use then restart your Mac and before opening anything up go to Finder -> Empty Trash.

Go back into Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and type "sudo -s" again without quotation marks. Then enter: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE which will set the Finder back to the way it was before. Then type "exit" and it will exit out of the root.

Go back to your happy, problem free Mac! :)

Even though Saft was misery for plug-ins there are three plug-ins that I really like for Safari and are quite useful and as a bonus aren't annoying because they are free!

Inquisitor X

Safari Stand

CoolIris

Thanks to solvs and Shaun Charity for their help in resolving this!

5. Brianski macrumors newbie

Help on the dreaded Saft

Guys, I have followed the Saft uninstall, but when I go to Terminal, I can type in sudo-s, but then how do I get to Defaults to type in com.Apple,finder etc etc?

What a Pain in the a#s saft is!

Hope you can hep, it is driving me crazy- I should have checked before I downloaded this nauseous site!
    http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

6. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

After you've typed 'sudo -s' (remember the space before the -), press the enter key on your keyboard, and it will ask you for your password. Type it, press enter again, then you can type in the phrase 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE', and press enter once more.

7. Brianski macrumors newbie

Saft

Thanks so much Karenflower - but still no luck.

I have followed your instructions to the letter, all the spaces and so on - but when I get to Spotlight all the Saft files come up of course, but I cannot highlight them (hold Shift down) and cannot drag them to the Trash bucket.

Any ideas!!! What a miserable lot the Saft people are, one cannot uninstall it, and as previously said, no way to get in touch with them (except by purchasing their product!!)

Thanks in advance,

B

8. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Can you right-click on each file and choose 'Move to Trash'? Also, when dragging files out of Spotlight, you need to make sure you're clicking and holding on the file name - it won't work if you're clicking on the blank space in the columns.

9. Brianski macrumors newbie

Saft

Hi Karenflower,

Many thks again.

Yes, tried all that - it will not drag any of the Saft Files.

I also have tried the Input Managers forum and emptying the Trash Box - but the only File left is----Guess What...........

Saft.

It won't go!

Grrrrr!

B

10. Brianski macrumors newbie

The Dreaded Saft

It seems to have gone - tank de Lawd.

I dunno if I speak too soon, but I wrote some irate emails to various "authorities" and tho' it is still in my Trash file (wont go) it has not popped up for 2 days now.......................Touch wood.

Thanks to Karenflower for all the help.

B

11. ThatOtherGirl macrumors newbie

STILL no luck

I've got the Saft folder in my trashcan and the file, "SaftLoader.bundle" in the folder. When I try to empty my trashcan, it says, "The operation cannot be completed because the item "SaftLoader" is in use."

I did the sudo -s thing (had to enable the root account- I'm a noob) and searched, but there wasn't anything in the results except for my searches on how to remove it.

So... any ideas on how I can empty my trash?

Thanks!

- so, found the answer- actually on their website. I had to log off, then log back on and empty the trash. Could've sworn that I did that already, but it worked this time.

12. Brianski macrumors newbie

Saft

I did all the things suggested - nuttin' worked.

I thought of prayer, but was too full of hate - ho ho.

After a week or so it went away, but it is still in my Trash folder, lurking there.............I cannot delete it; luckily I am a calm and balanced chap and I do not lose any sleep over it now.......

A Plague on these people............

13. pkiula macrumors member

14. jcnoob macrumors newbie

I found the way to delete it!!
    it was in the textedit manual =)

"Removal
    Move Saft.app to Trash. If Saft is installed as InputManager plugin, you need to remove Saft from the following place too:

<image> macintosh HD > library > input manager > [saft]and [SIMBL]

15. wagonwould macrumors newbie

Oh thank God. I couldn't find a way to delete Saft, so i deleted Safari (BIG mistake, it took me two hours to try to get it back because mac's website simply gives an upgrade not a full copy). I got it back, then I found this, and problem solved! Thanks!

16. Dan.Dare macrumors member

17. JetSet10 macrumors newbie

saft still in my life and my trash bin

Thanks to the above tips, I succeeded in removing saft and inquisitor from safari but they are both still stuck in my trash bin. Even though i have safari quit, when i try to empty the bin it says they are in use. What the hell? I am so annoyed by this deceptive and incompetent freeware. any ideas?

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Restart your computer.

19. DaddyWarbucks macrumors newbie

DaddyWarbucks

Thank GOD for jcnoob! His solution worked!

Mr. Noob:

I have been living with the remnants of this p.o.s. Saft for a year.:eek: I don't want to go messing with terminal. (However, I'd gladly throttle the dimwit Saft developer to death!) Your solution was simple and perfect! You are a saint.:cool:

20. icing macrumors member

The missing link

Hi guys,

I tried all the above mentioned stuff without any luck. For some reason I had to manually go to macintosh hd -> library -> application support -> SIMBL and delete the file saft.bundle manually.

I have no idea why this file didn't show up when I did the search. I did everything according to your guide including activating my root account.

Anyway, hope this helps those of you who installed it as a SIMBL plugin.

And damn you SAFT for being so tough to get rid of.

21. mac2x macrumors 65816

Why log in as root? Sudo will allow you to remove files from system folders without actually logging in as root. Of course, you have to type sudo before every command, but it's safer than running as root IMHO.

22. mac2x macrumors 65816

A restart might help...but emptying the trash via Terminal has always zapped things that otherwise refuse to delete for me. Cd into the .Trash directory in your home folder and type rm -i followed by the filename you want to delete. Usually you can start typing and press Tab and Terminal will fill in the rest. Hit enter and y when it prompts you to confirm the delete.

23. novaman83 macrumors newbie

From the Saft website: It worked for me. Method 2 did not.

(1) Removal
    Move Saft in /Library/InputManagers to Trash and restart Safari. (go to the macintosh HD icon in the finder window and click on it to find the library file)
Finder may say that Saft is in use when trying to empty the Trash. Logout and login again (or restart mac) to solve this problem.

(2) Another method if the above does not work:
    Okay, I got it uninstalled! For those of you who will surely seek help trying to uninstall this garbage here is how I did it:

First, close Safari.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Under Terminal type "sudo -s" without the quotation marks to log in as root.

Then enter: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Go to the blue apple at the top left of the screen -> Force Quit

Once you are under Force Quit click on "Finder" and click Relaunch

Now go to Spotlight on the opposite end of the screen and search for "Saft". It will reveal all of Saft's hidden files. Use the shift button to highlight all of them and drag it to the Trash icon. Empty the trash. If there is a file that won't delete because it's in use then restart your Mac and before opening anything up go to Finder -> Empty Trash.

Go back into Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and type "sudo -s" again without quotation marks. Then enter: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE which will set the Finder back to the way it was before. Then type "exit" and it will exit out of the root.

Go back to your happy, problem free Mac!

Even though Saft was misery for plug-ins there are three plug-ins that I really like for Safari and are quite useful and as a bonus aren't annoying because they are free!